Returned recently for a weekend to chill out with close friends. We were made very welcome by Kath with refreshments and a roaring log fire. A good wine led into a most exciting evening meal menu. We were spoilt with the range of courses available, ingredients carefully crafted together, locally sourced and even foraged from the wild. We were in a Mountain View room that was cosy, comfy and with good views. The bathroom would be of modest size if you are of a larger build.
The excellent breakfast was more traditional in content and served in a conservatory with stunning views over the forest across to Skiddaw, eaten watching the mists rise off the trees in the sun.
From the doorstep are hill walks either side of the valley and just up the pass the Forestry Centre with MTB bike hire and other activities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 17th Century fully renovated coaching Inn located in the middle of Whinlatter, England's only mountain forest. Stunning views of the Forest Valley and Skiddaw mountain range. The Forest hosts a variety of wildlife including Deer and Red Squirrels. This restaurant with rooms has achieved recognition through the award of Cumbria Tourism's Taste Cumbria 2016 and 3 AA rosette for culinary excellence. 'The Cottage' is featured in the Good Food Guide and Good Hotel Guide, and in 2017-18 was selected as Inspectors Choice by the AA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your The Cottage in the Wood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cottage In The Wood Hotel Braithwaite
- The Cottage In The Wood Braithwaite, Keswick, Cumbria