In recent years my parents had often waxed lyrical about The Cottage in the Wood and its owners, Kath and Liam. Having eventually found the time to spend 3 nights there last week, I can see why. The cottage is decorated to a cosy (not small, just cosy) but contemporary style, with modern rooms, comfy beds and good hot showers. There is a good sized restaurant, and a nice lounge area (with a well stocked bookshelf and games drawer) in which to sit for a pre or post dinner drink, as well as plenty of seating on an outside patio with far-reaching views of the hills beyond.
Kath and her merry team (including the ever happy Julie and her perpetual smile) run front of house, and all are friendly and welcoming. You will always find someone there when you need them, but in the background when you are deep into a good book, or an afternoon snooze! Kath does everything she possibly can to ensure you have an enjoyable stay, and is a perfect host. Liam runs the kitchen and turns out excellent food, making the most of seasonal ingredients and what the local forest and the garden have to offer. The menu is modern, and had an impressive choice for a restaurant with only 10 rooms. There is a choice of courses and an extensive wine list to choose from.
The Cottage in the Wood offers a great environment in which to catch up with old friends, relax with the family, or get away from it all with a loved one. There is no shortage of excellent walks in the area and for the more energetic; some superb mountain-bike trails to ride in the surrounding area. There is a hire location within a 5 minute walk which has very good bikes available.
The cost of the rooms, the food, and the drinks at The Cottage in the Wood is reasonable when you consider the excellent standard to which the property is finished, the excellent service you receive throughout, and the excellent quality of food and drink. This really is a place to savour (watch out as the restaurant does not serve dinner on a Sunday or Monday evening, and I think you need to eat there to really make the most of your stay) and somewhere I will certainly return to in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 17th Century former coaching Inn located in the middle of Whinlatter, England's only mountain forest. Stunning views of the Forest Valley and Skiddaw mountain range. The Forest hosts a variety of wildlife including Deer and Red Squirrels. This restaurant with rooms has achieved recognition through the award of EnjoyEngland Silver Excellence in Tourism Award 2011, The Taste of Cumbria and Taste of England's North West 2010, and 2 AA rosette for culinary excellence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Priceline, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your The Cottage in the Wood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cottage In The Wood Hotel Braithwaite
- The Cottage In The Wood Braithwaite, Keswick, Cumbria