Elegant and inventive menu, served by professionals who are comfortable in their expertise (and therefore make you feel comfortable too), in beautiful Lake District surroundings .......... what more could you want.
I'd agree with the reviewer who says that this is not for you if all you want is a simple refuelling stop involving heaped plates and masses of chips - - the courses are carefully and beautifully constructed. I found the portion sizes just right, which meant that I managed to make it to the plate of four local cheeses ( I rarely am able to do that)
Their use of local produce, and the creative use of wild ingredients (wood mushrooms, toasted acorn, wild purslane, daisies and so on) makes the experience one to remember.
And of course, if you stay overnight, then you get to take breakfast, while watching the wild birds feeding, to a backdrop of mountains.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 17th Century former coaching Inn located in the middle of Whinlatter, England's only mountain forest. Stunning views of the Forest Valley and Skiddaw mountain range. The Forest hosts a variety of wildlife including Deer and Red Squirrels. This restaurant with rooms has achieved recognition through the award of Cumbria Tourism's Taste Cumbria 2016 and 3 AA rosette for culinary excellence. 'The Cottage' is featured in the Good Food Guide and Good Hotel Guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your The Cottage in the Wood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cottage In The Wood Hotel Braithwaite
- The Cottage In The Wood Braithwaite, Keswick, Cumbria