Me and my future wife stayed here on the 12th April this year for 2 nights. It was booked to celebrate both my partners birthday and after a successful proposal by Ennerdale lake, it was also a celebration for our engagement. I can't think of a better way to celebrate. Kath was a brilliant host, both before I booked (she helped with the planning of the surprise and calmed my nerves!) and during our stay as well. Tea and carrot cake were offered at arrival, which is perfect after a nervy and exciting previous few hours. I asked for some flowers to be on arrival in the room and they were beautiful. There is no chance that I could have picked these myself!
We stayed in the garden room, which was amazing. The wet room is particularly brilliant. You also get a sofa at the end of the room to make it feel like a small suite, rather than just a room with a bed in it. The bed was comfy and the view you get of skiddaw when you walk out of the room is priceless (it helps when you get 2 days of glorious sunshine)
We also had one evening dinner here and I wish I had booked 2. The food is superb. There is so much flavour in each course and I would highly recommend to just have a meal here, if you can't stay over. You get the same excellent food treatment at breakfast and if you can get a table next to the window with a view of skiddaw, its perfect.
Overall, I cannot fault anything. You forget the price when you stay somewhere like this. We will definitely be coming back, whether to stay or just for an evening meal. Thank you to Kath and all the staff who work there. I picked the prefect place to propose and it was the perfect place to celebrate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 17th Century former coaching Inn located in the middle of Whinlatter, England's only mountain forest. Stunning views of the Forest Valley and Skiddaw mountain range. The Forest hosts a variety of wildlife including Deer and Red Squirrels. This restaurant with rooms has achieved recognition through the award of EnjoyEngland Silver Excellence in Tourism Award 2011, The Taste of Cumbria and Taste of England's North West 2010, and 2 AA rosette for culinary excellence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Cottage in the Wood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cottage In The Wood Hotel Braithwaite
- The Cottage In The Wood Braithwaite, Keswick, Cumbria