“Cottage has the goods.....”

The Cottage in the Wood
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Braithwaite
Reviewed 1 May 2008

I felt compelled to write a few words having just returned from a stay at CITW and having read some negative reviews.

CITW is absolutely fantastic, its got a lovely homely charm, personified by Kath who bends over backwards to help you make the most of your stay. We stayed in the suite in the loft which was spotlessly clean and without fault. Both of us loved diving (well not literally) in to the large double ended bath for a soak after our days activities.

We also dined at the restaurant and Liams food was exemplary. Fresh, solid flavours abound. In fact we had to have a second helping of the bread and butter pudding it was so good.

I feel I should qualify this review with some downsides: yes, the lounge is on the small side, no there isn't an olympic pool or helipad, but if you plan to be holed up in the hotel for the duration of your stay then maybe you should go elsewhere than the lake district. I am completely perplexed by some of these negative reviews, but I guess, perversely, some people are only happy when they're complaining.

Kath and Liam obviously pour their heart and souls in to this place and it shows. Please don't go here as I want it to be free the next time we come up ;o)

S&T (Mid 20's if you're interested)

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank stevie909
There are newer reviews for The Cottage in the Wood

Reviewed 25 April 2008

Everything at The Cottage is done to a very high standard. From the tea and biscuits and homemade cake on arrival, the cosy bedrooms (all spotless), the beautiful new dining room with the most fantastic views and the delicious breakfast and evening meals, this place really is a gem and somewhere I'm sure we'll visit again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DandCCheshire
Reviewed 20 February 2008

We stayed here for a weekend after reading some great reviews but to be honest were not at all impressed. the place is lovely and secluded and clean etc but has little atmosphere and we didnt find it relaxing. We took our dog as we often do to the lakes, and if you do you are given a room at the back of the cottage behind the dining room, and as dogs are not allowed to walk through the dining room you have to walk round the back all the time, bit of a pain in March ! The dog room is quite small, and was a little cold. I think this place is suited to the older person 50+.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank thedogwalker
Reviewed 10 February 2008

We stay in this "hotel" last summer. The place is nice, well located but the room was small, a bit overpriced. The food and specially the breakfast very good. Like the preview reviews we didn't call that space a lounge. Mixed feelings

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JJTP
Reviewed 2 February 2008

I felt inspired to write (after an admittedly long delay - we were there last August) because some of the last reviews are in such opposition to our experience! Though I confess we were disappointed to only get a smaller room that after 2 nights felt a little restrictive (we booked at the last minute and the de-luxe rooms were taken), our experience here was fantastic.

The comments on Kath in particular seem to have been made about a totally different person: she was wonderful! The welcome was fantastic and, though I can see that someone in search of a nightlife might be disappointed (er...it is in the middle of nowhere so what did they expect?) food, service, comfort - everything else is here.

We like to see different places in the U.K. but this is one of the places we are desperate to go back to; Keswick is fantastic, the walks are great, dinner (I don't eat meat and am incredibly fussy) was perfect. I wish more places were like this.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank nessie2
Reviewed 14 January 2008

I think the review before me got it spot:

The front room was very small, and people are forced to talk really awkwardly together. I agree that it is nice to meet new people, but not in a silent small room, with everyone listening to your every word and no escape!

If you are below thirty don't consider going for two reasons: firstly there is no pub/restaurants nearby.... just that awkard front room to pass your time in. Secondly the landlady was rude to us, she acted like a school teacher. (For example, when I saw that I was not keen on the main course for the evening, I asked if there was a different option, she told me off for not specifying in an email all my food likes and dislikes. Luckly her husband, who isnt rude, heard and offered me the vegatarian option. She had already made me cry infront of a room full of people.)

Although there are good point, scenery, food, walks etc, I think you can find a place with a nicer ambience. I find it odd how many reviews it has so far (70), considering it only has 9 rooms and other places in keswick have much fewer reviews.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
15  Thank sarahhascoldfeet
Reviewed 11 January 2008

I booked this hotel after reading all the reviews on the website and after looking through their website I wanted my partner to enjoy his first time to the Lakes and to really impress him. Unfortunately we were a little dissapointed. My initial impression was that if your a younger couple (we are both under 30) the owner didn't seem that interested. We arrived on the Fri evening and were offered tea and cakes but the lounge was packed so we declined. The lounge is tiny and is more like an entrance hall. We didn't eat dinner at the hotel but others were raving about it and I wish we had. On the Fri we took a walk down to Braithwaite village and had dinner in the Royal Oak pub which is very good. It's a good 45mins walk back up the hill with some steep bends so be careful off those on-coming cars.
We stayed in a basic room and had no complaints at all. All very clean and adequate.
Sat morning breakfast was great and we had ordered a packed lunch the night before ready for our days walking. The lunch was a waste of time and at £6 a packed lunch this was a shame. I was told the rolls would either be cheese or tuna so when I said my partner was allergic to tuna so it had to be cheese the waitress said she would note this down. I just knew she hadn't and so I said it was really important and she just nodded blankly. Of course when our lunch came and we were up on the fells it turned out that the rolls were all TUNA!! OK so I should have checked before we set out but I had hoped they would have got that right. For £6 we had 2 small crusty rolls, crisps, museli bar, piece of fruit and a orange juice carton.
Sat afternoon went into Keswick (after our walk) and enjoyed tea at Brysons tea shop. Toasted tea cakes yummy.
Sat night went to Cockermouth (20 min drive) and had a brilliant Indian meal at a place called Spice. Brilliant. Best indian I've ever had and well priced as well.
We returned to the hotel about 8pm and had a few drinks again in the bar. Thankfully we were sat on a 2 seat table on our own playing cards (games library in the lounge) but about 4 couples had been huddled together on tables opposite. It was so awkward for them. The conversation was very strained and though it's good to meet new people and chat, it was clear that this lot had been forced together through a blatant lack of seating. It reminded me of a bus shelter with old ladies chatting away until the bus came when your thinking "hurry up bus, just get me out of here"!!
Sun breakfast was good again though I was not sorry to be leaving on the Sun morning.
I just felt that the Cottage was lacking in something. I think the lack of space in the lounge is a major factor as really there is nothing to do except sit on top of strangers or go out. I know you don't come to the Lakes to sit in the hotel all day, but a little more space for those evening drinks would be nice. I wouldn't return to the Cottage. I am sure there are better places then this and I am suprised it is rated so highly on Tripadvisor.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
11  Thank Lawyergirl25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braithwaite
The Keswick Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portinscale
Mary Mount Hotel
Mary Mount Hotel
#4 of 17 in Keswick

Been to The Cottage in the Wood? Share your experiences!