I felt compelled to write a few words having just returned from a stay at CITW and having read some negative reviews.
CITW is absolutely fantastic, its got a lovely homely charm, personified by Kath who bends over backwards to help you make the most of your stay. We stayed in the suite in the loft which was spotlessly clean and without fault. Both of us loved diving (well not literally) in to the large double ended bath for a soak after our days activities.
We also dined at the restaurant and Liams food was exemplary. Fresh, solid flavours abound. In fact we had to have a second helping of the bread and butter pudding it was so good.
I feel I should qualify this review with some downsides: yes, the lounge is on the small side, no there isn't an olympic pool or helipad, but if you plan to be holed up in the hotel for the duration of your stay then maybe you should go elsewhere than the lake district. I am completely perplexed by some of these negative reviews, but I guess, perversely, some people are only happy when they're complaining.
Kath and Liam obviously pour their heart and souls in to this place and it shows. Please don't go here as I want it to be free the next time we come up ;o)
S&T (Mid 20's if you're interested)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 17th Century former coaching Inn located in the middle of Whinlatter, England's only mountain forest. Stunning views of the Forest Valley and Skiddaw mountain range. The Forest hosts a variety of wildlife including Deer and Red Squirrels. This restaurant with rooms has achieved recognition through the award of Cumbria Tourism's Taste Cumbria 2016 and 3 AA rosette for culinary excellence. 'The Cottage' is featured in the Good Food Guide and Good Hotel Guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your The Cottage in the Wood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cottage In The Wood Hotel Braithwaite
- The Cottage In The Wood Braithwaite, Keswick, Cumbria