We have been travelling to the Lake District for a number of years now, usually staying three to four weeks for each visit. Our anniversary regularly happens to fall during this period, and we always look for a special meal to celebrate the occassion. This year we chose Cottage in the Wood and were definately not disappointed. Liam is an amazing chef, and Kath is a gracious hostess. The restaurant staff were excellent and attentive. The meal and all courses were superb. We will definately return again.
The cottage itself is quaint and picturesque, but isolated. The atmosphere is refined and proper. Not the type of place we would stay for longer than a night or two (I prefer a place where I can have a pint with the locals), but from what we could see definately in line with their stated mission. They do deal in quality.
As stated in the title, we went for the food and in that aspect it was one of the best meals we have ever had in the UK.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 17th Century former coaching Inn located in the middle of Whinlatter, England's only mountain forest. Stunning views of the Forest Valley and Skiddaw mountain range. The Forest hosts a variety of wildlife including Deer and Red Squirrels. This restaurant with rooms has achieved recognition through the award of Cumbria Tourism's Taste Cumbria 2016 and 3 AA rosette for culinary excellence. 'The Cottage' is featured in the Good Food Guide and Good Hotel Guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your The Cottage in the Wood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cottage In The Wood Hotel Braithwaite
- The Cottage In The Wood Braithwaite, Keswick, Cumbria