“We Went For the Food”

The Cottage in the Wood
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Braithwaite
Reviewed 5 May 2008

We have been travelling to the Lake District for a number of years now, usually staying three to four weeks for each visit. Our anniversary regularly happens to fall during this period, and we always look for a special meal to celebrate the occassion. This year we chose Cottage in the Wood and were definately not disappointed. Liam is an amazing chef, and Kath is a gracious hostess. The restaurant staff were excellent and attentive. The meal and all courses were superb. We will definately return again.

The cottage itself is quaint and picturesque, but isolated. The atmosphere is refined and proper. Not the type of place we would stay for longer than a night or two (I prefer a place where I can have a pint with the locals), but from what we could see definately in line with their stated mission. They do deal in quality.

As stated in the title, we went for the food and in that aspect it was one of the best meals we have ever had in the UK.

Stayed: April 2008
5  Thank Sikku

Reviewed 1 May 2008

I felt compelled to write a few words having just returned from a stay at CITW and having read some negative reviews.

CITW is absolutely fantastic, its got a lovely homely charm, personified by Kath who bends over backwards to help you make the most of your stay. We stayed in the suite in the loft which was spotlessly clean and without fault. Both of us loved diving (well not literally) in to the large double ended bath for a soak after our days activities.

We also dined at the restaurant and Liams food was exemplary. Fresh, solid flavours abound. In fact we had to have a second helping of the bread and butter pudding it was so good.

I feel I should qualify this review with some downsides: yes, the lounge is on the small side, no there isn't an olympic pool or helipad, but if you plan to be holed up in the hotel for the duration of your stay then maybe you should go elsewhere than the lake district. I am completely perplexed by some of these negative reviews, but I guess, perversely, some people are only happy when they're complaining.

Kath and Liam obviously pour their heart and souls in to this place and it shows. Please don't go here as I want it to be free the next time we come up ;o)

S&T (Mid 20's if you're interested)

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank stevie909
Reviewed 25 April 2008

Everything at The Cottage is done to a very high standard. From the tea and biscuits and homemade cake on arrival, the cosy bedrooms (all spotless), the beautiful new dining room with the most fantastic views and the delicious breakfast and evening meals, this place really is a gem and somewhere I'm sure we'll visit again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DandCCheshire
Reviewed 20 February 2008

We stayed here for a weekend after reading some great reviews but to be honest were not at all impressed. the place is lovely and secluded and clean etc but has little atmosphere and we didnt find it relaxing. We took our dog as we often do to the lakes, and if you do you are given a room at the back of the cottage behind the dining room, and as dogs are not allowed to walk through the dining room you have to walk round the back all the time, bit of a pain in March ! The dog room is quite small, and was a little cold. I think this place is suited to the older person 50+.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank thedogwalker
Reviewed 10 February 2008

We stay in this "hotel" last summer. The place is nice, well located but the room was small, a bit overpriced. The food and specially the breakfast very good. Like the preview reviews we didn't call that space a lounge. Mixed feelings

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JJTP
Reviewed 2 February 2008

I felt inspired to write (after an admittedly long delay - we were there last August) because some of the last reviews are in such opposition to our experience! Though I confess we were disappointed to only get a smaller room that after 2 nights felt a little restrictive (we booked at the last minute and the de-luxe rooms were taken), our experience here was fantastic.

The comments on Kath in particular seem to have been made about a totally different person: she was wonderful! The welcome was fantastic and, though I can see that someone in search of a nightlife might be disappointed (er...it is in the middle of nowhere so what did they expect?) food, service, comfort - everything else is here.

We like to see different places in the U.K. but this is one of the places we are desperate to go back to; Keswick is fantastic, the walks are great, dinner (I don't eat meat and am incredibly fussy) was perfect. I wish more places were like this.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank nessie2
Reviewed 14 January 2008

I think the review before me got it spot:

The front room was very small, and people are forced to talk really awkwardly together. I agree that it is nice to meet new people, but not in a silent small room, with everyone listening to your every word and no escape!

If you are below thirty don't consider going for two reasons: firstly there is no pub/restaurants nearby.... just that awkard front room to pass your time in. Secondly the landlady was rude to us, she acted like a school teacher. (For example, when I saw that I was not keen on the main course for the evening, I asked if there was a different option, she told me off for not specifying in an email all my food likes and dislikes. Luckly her husband, who isnt rude, heard and offered me the vegatarian option. She had already made me cry infront of a room full of people.)

Although there are good point, scenery, food, walks etc, I think you can find a place with a nicer ambience. I find it odd how many reviews it has so far (70), considering it only has 9 rooms and other places in keswick have much fewer reviews.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
15  Thank sarahhascoldfeet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braithwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Ireby
Inn on the Square
Inn on the Square
#7 of 17 in Keswick

Been to The Cottage in the Wood? Share your experiences!