The location of the cottage in the wood is hard to fault. It's easy to find, yet feels isolated and is very very quiet. The views are lovely, and it's well positioned for exploring the Lakes. After a warm welcome, we were shown to our room - one of the cottage rooms called Rowan. We found this room to be lacking in a lot of ways when compared to other hotel rooms of a similar nightly rate. It was very very small - we were tripping over each other all weekend, it had no bath, quite a small shower, no ironing board, no drinks fridge, no bath robes, no wifi, no seating area - only a single chair squeezed into a tight corner on its own. These are all luxuries of course, but luxuries one would expect from a room costing £110 per night in northwest England. On the plus side, the bed was very comfortable and despite overlooking the road, we had no problems with noise.
The room aside, the place was lovely. The lounge areas were very comfortable, the views from the restaurant every bit as good as advertised, and the food really excellent - full marks to the chef.
To anyone going to stay, I'd say provided you avoid the cottage rooms, you'll have a lovely stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 17th Century former coaching Inn located in the middle of Whinlatter, England's only mountain forest. Stunning views of the Forest Valley and Skiddaw mountain range. The Forest hosts a variety of wildlife including Deer and Red Squirrels. This restaurant with rooms has achieved recognition through the award of Cumbria Tourism's Taste Cumbria 2016 and 3 AA rosette for culinary excellence. 'The Cottage' is featured in the Good Food Guide and Good Hotel Guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your The Cottage in the Wood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cottage In The Wood Hotel Braithwaite
- The Cottage In The Wood Braithwaite, Keswick, Cumbria