The location is perfect as the Whinlatter forest is close by with lots of clearly marked walks for those who can't read maps ( like us!). But it's also in the perfect spot for accessing the rest of the Lake District.
It's a small hotel and our room was rather tiny (Spruce) but very comfortable and clean. Good facilities too like tea, coffee, soaps etc.
The staff are incredibly attentive and pretty much cater for everyone. There is no bar but you can sit in the lounge at any time and you will be offered drinks or refreshments. There is wifi only in the lounge and no phone signal.
We prebooked dinner ( advisable, don't assume you will get a table there) and had the rather pricy but interesting Cumbrian tasting menu. But it was our choice to pay for something special and we weren't disappointed. Every course is explained too. Almost everything is locally sourced.
If you don't want to eat there the staff are very helpful in suggesting other places to eat. There are many in the area.
Breakfast is good with lots of choice of well cooked food.
The views are amazing and yes there are lots of red squirrels. I saw my first one literally as I arrived at the hotel.
A lovely place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 17th Century former coaching Inn located in the middle of Whinlatter, England's only mountain forest. Stunning views of the Forest Valley and Skiddaw mountain range. The Forest hosts a variety of wildlife including Deer and Red Squirrels. This restaurant with rooms has achieved recognition through the award of Cumbria Tourism's Taste Cumbria 2016 and 3 AA rosette for culinary excellence. 'The Cottage' is featured in the Good Food Guide and Good Hotel Guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your The Cottage in the Wood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cottage In The Wood Hotel Braithwaite
- The Cottage In The Wood Braithwaite, Keswick, Cumbria