We stayed at the Cottage in the Wood for a weekend and overall found it to be very nice. Arrived to complimentary tea and cake on the new terrace which was a lovely touch. We had a deluxe room which was fine, nothing super special. The bathroom was very small indeed but the bed was large and extremely comfortable.
Breakfast and the evening meal was lovely and we would recommend dining at night here rather than in Keswick.
Just a few observations - the bar area is tiny and not very welcoming, it needs revamping. The door leading to the rooms is like something from a nasty pub and the corridors are in need of redecoration. The conservatory is nice but lacks atmosphere and echoes so you feel like you need to speak in hushed tones. It just needs some art on the walls, blinds and please get rid of those awful, cheap table mats that one sees in grotty pubs. Oh, and we heard about 3 other guests commenting on the background music, please get some new cd's!
Kath is polite but in a strained, school teacher way. We didn't feel as though we could relax here which is a shame as it gets so many other things right. It just needs to work out what it wants to be.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would return but hope some of our comments are taken on board to make this a top notch b&b.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 17th Century former coaching Inn located in the middle of Whinlatter, England's only mountain forest. Stunning views of the Forest Valley and Skiddaw mountain range. The Forest hosts a variety of wildlife including Deer and Red Squirrels. This restaurant with rooms has achieved recognition through the award of EnjoyEngland Silver Excellence in Tourism Award 2011, The Taste of Cumbria and Taste of England's North West 2010, and 2 AA rosette for culinary excellence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your The Cottage in the Wood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cottage In The Wood Hotel Braithwaite
- The Cottage In The Wood Braithwaite, Keswick, Cumbria