The Cottage in the Wood sits in a fabulous location on the Whinlatter Pass, on the wonderfully named 'Magic Hill'. We received such a lovely warm welcome from Kath on arrival - outside the weather was as bad as we could imagine, but that was soon forgotten as we melted into the warmth and cosiness of the Cottage. Our room was lovely - very comfy bed, telly with freeview, and a very clean and well-stocked bathroom. Pre-dinner drinks were served in the lovely lounge, with a roaring fire and smashing selection of books - especially regarding local walks. Dinner was brilliant - EVERYTHING is home cooked, with fresh breads, pasta and ice-creams amongst other items prepared freshly by Liam every day - and is worth every penny. Couple magnificent food with attentive but unfussy service, a very commendable wine list for a relatively small hotel, and you have the recipe for a superb meal. We enjoyed Friday's dinner so much, re-booking for Saturday was a real no-brainer. Breakfast again is of a high standard - with a daily 'special' available as an alternative to the 'Full Cumbrian', as well as all the usual selection of cereals, juices etc. Amongst all this, Kath or one of her staff were on hand to ensure we wanted for nothing.
Can't really fault this place for the money, we will be back - it's smashing value, a superb location, and a great base for exploring the magnificent Lakes!! Oh, and the sun shone all day yesterday and today - that helps as well!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 17th Century former coaching Inn located in the middle of Whinlatter, England's only mountain forest. Stunning views of the Forest Valley and Skiddaw mountain range. The Forest hosts a variety of wildlife including Deer and Red Squirrels. This restaurant with rooms has achieved recognition through the award of EnjoyEngland Silver Excellence in Tourism Award 2011, The Taste of Cumbria and Taste of England's North West 2010, and 2 AA rosette for culinary excellence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your The Cottage in the Wood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cottage In The Wood Hotel Braithwaite
- The Cottage In The Wood Braithwaite, Keswick, Cumbria