Anna & Paul, Warrington - 21&22 Feb 09
Our 2 night stay at The Cottage in the Wood was absolutely wonderful and I would recommend you book a visit soon! From the breathtaking location, the cosy log fire in the lounge to the modern setting of the restaurant which serves the most mouthwatering food (sourced locally) – I really can’t fault it and can’t wait to return.
On arrival, we were greeted by Kath who, along with her small team, does a fantastic job front of house. We were shown to our snug but beautifully furnished (Standard) room and then enjoyed complimentary tea and cakes by the fire – bliss!
We enjoyed dinner in the restaurant on both nights. Liam’s food is delicious – his menus are uncomplicated and focus very much on the quality of the ingredients resulting in beautifully cooked and presented dishes. We were also very impressed with the wine list which was extremely reasonably priced too.
If you can tear yourself away from the cosy Cottage, the location really is superb and definitely my favourite part of the Lake District. As we are novice walkers, Kath was great in suggesting a few ‘easy’ walks – one of which started literally on the doorstep of the Cottage. This encompassed a trip to the Whinlatter Forest Visitor Centre (Go Ape fans will be glad to know there’s a great course here!) and a moderate ascent to Seat Howe with it’s stunning views of Bassenthwaite Lake and beyond. 10 minutes up the road is the town of Keswick with it’s superb range of shops and charming cafes and restaurants. This area in my opinion is much more appealing than Bowness, Windamere for example where we briefly stopped and hastily left due to the crowds of people and limited choice of ‘decent’ restaurants. In fact, after our brief trip to Windamere we couldn’t get back to Keswick and The Cottage quick enough!
We have stayed at a number of 5 star luxury hotels and resorts around the world and it is lovely to see that Kath and Liam have managed to maintain the traditional style, integrity and comfort of the Cottage whilst also adding to its appeal with all those little extra touches which make somewhere truly first class. So, hats off to Kath and Liam for a perfect little place – I’ll certainly be recommending it to friends!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 17th Century former coaching Inn located in the middle of Whinlatter, England's only mountain forest. Stunning views of the Forest Valley and Skiddaw mountain range. The Forest hosts a variety of wildlife including Deer and Red Squirrels. This restaurant with rooms has achieved recognition through the award of Cumbria Tourism's Taste Cumbria 2016 and 3 AA rosette for culinary excellence. 'The Cottage' is featured in the Good Food Guide and Good Hotel Guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your The Cottage in the Wood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cottage In The Wood Hotel Braithwaite
- The Cottage In The Wood Braithwaite, Keswick, Cumbria