The Cottage in the Wood
Lyzzick Hall Hotel(Under Skiddaw)
US$212
Ravenstone Manor Hotel(Bassenthwaite)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Ravenstone Lodge Hotel(Bassenthwaite)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsgarden roomtasting menuwhinlatter forestrestaurant with roomsred squirrelslake districtwhinlatter passwet roomon arrivalmichelin starsmall hotelamuse bouchewonderful foodout of this worldwine flightfront of housefollowing morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 July 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Cottage in the Woods for 2 nights and had a lovely time. The staff quite simply couldn't have done more to make us feel welcome and help us with any queries we had. I've recommended Cottage in the Woods to a number of people. Especially mountain bikers. There's an awesome mountain biking center about 5mins walk away. If you're looking for somewhere to stay in Keswick, in indeed The Lakes at large, I recommend you stay here. I almost forgot to mention the food. It is fantastic, as is the wine list!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We had a fantastic stay here for 3 nights and like the previous reviewer we stayed in the attic room. Yes the staircase is a little tight to get the suitcase up and I'm 6ft and needed to duck a few times, but it was all part of the great experience here. Loved the fact it felt very private, the food is superb and being right on Whinlatter pass great access to forest walks from your door. We will come again, the staff couldn't do enough for you.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2009

Having read the reviews decided to stay in The Cottage in the Wood having had a fantastic few days in The Drunken Duck and The Punchbowl. Unfortunately The Cottage in the wood did not live up to expectations and was in a totally different league to the other two places (although granted much cheaper too). The dining room was lovely, with fabulous views. The rest of the house was pretty dated however and felt quite shoddy. Our attic room involved climbing up a tortuous staircase to a room that required constant ducking! The room itself was adequate but nothing more. On the positive side, the owner Kath was lovely and really welcoming.
Overall, the cottage was fine but don't expect any feel of luxury or indeed modernity.

4  Thank Nuala_Ireland
Reviewed 29 May 2009

I didn't stay here - rather booked it for my parents as a birthday treat
They loved it and even booked a second night to in order to stay on longer. They were particularly impressed by the evening meals and the warmth of welcome they received, with recommended walks and sights.
For me small touches, such as taking my parents names so as to greet them on arrival as well as sending on a letter I could include in a birthday card, were great. All this added up to make this a special occasion for my parents and something for which I am very grateful.
Many Thanks!

Reviewed 27 May 2009

We loved this place. Nowhere is totally perfect, but The Cottage in the Wood gets very close.

Previous reviewers have mentioned the warmth of the welcome you get here, and this was certainly our experience. It’s a nice blend of efficiency and friendliness, formality and informality. They make you feel very relaxed from the moment you arrive.

Our room was spotlessly clean, the bathroom too, and both were well equipped, if rather small. The bed was comfortable, the bedding maybe a bit over-warm, but no doubt if we had asked it would have been immediately swapped for lighter-weight stuff.

Breakfast was outstanding. Dinner was excellent, and both meals are taken in a new conservatory area with stunning views of the mountains. We enjoyed the welcome pot of coffee in the late afternoon, and the pre-dinner drinks in the bar.

The location on the Whinlatter Pass, 5 miles outside Keswick, gives splendid opportunities for forest walks, including an after-dinner stretch, and puts you within very easy reach of some great fell-walking. This being the Lake District, the hotel also has a drying room for clothes and boots, but remarkably, over the 3 days we were there, we did not need to use it!

The hotel gets so many things just right, that you have to pause to remember the little touches you take for granted here. For example, on the landing of the main stairway there is a little balcony with a bird-feeder just outside the window. Inside there is a coloured bird recognition booklet to help people like me figure out which species are in view.

We had very happy stay at the Cottage in the Wood, and we congratulate the owners on a really good little hotel

1  Thank grey.dave