“Delightful stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Braithwaite
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Delightful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights last summer as part of a weeks walking holiday in the Lake District. The cottage is situated on the edge of Whinlatter Forest and as a result affords stunning views of Skiddaw from the conservatory (i.e. restaurant). Upon arrival we were made to feel very welcome and were offered tea and cake whilst checking in. Within half an hour we were sat by the fire (even in June it is cool at times!) eating tea and cake and felt instantly at home. We were very impressed with the fine dinners and the very reasonably priced quality wines. The room, although on the small side, was very comfortable with a great shower. All in all an excellent stay. We have since received a Christmas card and newsletter outlining Kath and Liam's future plans for the cottage and we are looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Morecambe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2010

My husband and I visited The cotttage in the wood, during the week, and what an experience. We were greeted, and shown our room, and then had a welcome cup of tea and cake in the lounge area.
Kath and her team, are very attentive, but not over whelming, where nothing is too much trouble.
We had booked to have dinner, served in the conservatory, we had great service, the reason we visited was for the reviews on the food, and it did not disapoint.

Slept like logs in our comfortable room, and the had a delicious breakfast , the marmalade home made(tasted delicious),before stretching our legs on a forest walk

Kath gave persoanal service, second to none, and would recommend this fab hotel. We will visit again, and stay longer,

See you in the summer !!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

We have just returned from our 5th visit to this small hotel situated at the top of Whinlater Pass above Keswick. Faultless once again so we have booked another visit. The owners are dedicated to running a wonderful hotel / restaurant and ensuring guests a relaxing, comfortable break. Add to this the excellent food served in their restaurant. I'd highly recommend the restaurant just on it's own but you'd be missing a lovely rest if you didn't book into one of their delightful rooms for a few nights. If you like being made to feel welcome, have a good rest and love good cooking, then stay here.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2009

This little jewel of a hotel is located in the forest of the Whinlatter Pass, conservation area for red squirrel and heaven for mountain bikers and fell walkers – the Cottage in the Wood is an ideal place for recharging batteries and some quality romantic time. The food is excellent, much of it locally sourced and beautifully presented and the choice is outstanding – I particularly appreciated the lighter breakfast choices. The restaurant is in the conservatory with wonderful views of Skiddaw and the forest: other breakfast guests included the red squirrels who fed from the feeding stations on the balcony!.
We stayed in the Attic Suite – a lovely newly–refurbished bedroom and large bathroom right at the top of the house (including a wonderful big bathtub!). It is reached via steep stairs and it rather restricted in height: it suited me at 5’2’’ but my husband did bump his head once or twice… however, the place was totally quiet and the stars through the skylight were beautiful…the sheer romance of the place made up for it! All was spotless & clean, the power shower was great.
The best thing about it though was the level of service – the staff are genuinely welcoming and were really keen to make our stay memorable; after our evening out we came back to a drink waiting for us in front of the log fire in the lounge and it is this kind of detail that makes the difference. We were sorry to leave!

1 Thank Tandannik
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2009

We stayed at the Cottage in the Wood for three nights at the beginning of October 2009. My wife and I met up with two of our very godd friends for a walking break. It was our first visit to the Hotel as it had been recommended by our friends. It was perfect. However hard we tried we could not find fault with any thing. It was warm, cosy, clean and had tremendous atmosphere. Kath and her team were so kind and helpful. They really worked hard to make our stay very special. We ate in the restaurant one of the evenings and it was a very good experience. Food, wine and service all top class. We were sad to leave after just three nights but we shall be returning in the near future. I would recommend this as an excellent base for walking as many walks were from the hotel and Kath has all the information and maps of the area. Their wet room was an excellent facility. Our many thanks to Kath and her team. We cannot praise her enough. Excellent value for money and 6 stars rating. Well done.

leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2009

Both the food and the hotel were excellent and couldn't be faulted. Kath and her team looked after us and made sure that everything was okay. Our expectations were fully met and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
cumbria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2009

10.09.09 the restaurant was booked for our 30th wedding anniversary and we went with friends. Unfortuately my main course order arrived incorrectly and when I questioned this I was shown the order which the waitress had taken. I disputed this and asked for fish as this was my original order I was told the fish was unavailable and I would need to choose another dish. Instead of taking the other main courses away my friends and husband were left to eat theres and I was offered rolls to eat until my main course appeared these I refused. I then had to wait further and by the time my main course arrived I had to eat this on my own. This is not the service you expect and they did their best to try and put the blame on us by showing us what had been written down at the time of ordering. We will not go back nor would I recommend it our evening was spoiled.

3 Thank mamCumbria
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braithwaite
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#4 of 20 in Windermere
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,299 reviews

Been to The Cottage in the Wood? Share your experiences!