“Excellent”

Price range: US$9 - US$30
Cuisines: British, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Parkfield Inn offers fresh home cooked, English food with a range of locally brewed cask ales. All served in a warm comfortable environment with friendly and effecient staff.
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely this evening at the parkfield inn.service presentation & food all top class.both waitress's were friendly & pleasant.would highly reccomend set menu.plenty of choice & decent sized portions.i chose lancashire hotpot was delicous.have dined here before & im sure it wont be long before we come again.

2  Thank Jackie K

Reviewed 24 July 2014

There is a saying that you should not judge a book by it's cover - externally, on passing the Parkfield could be discounted as any local pub, better maintained than others but nothing to hint at the culinary experience awaiting you inside.

Outside, there are a few good quality tables and chairs to sit at whilst enjoying the sun and quaff a cool drink of your choice. There is also a beer garden with similar seating and tables at the rear of the building. Entering the bar area, this is fairly spacious with plenty of room around the well stocked bar together with various seating areas. This leads in to the dining room which I am guessing probably has around 30 to 40 covers. Tables and chairs are well maintained and nicely set out with cutlery and glasses.

We did book on the Wednesday evening that we visited, mainly because it was a hot day and therefore to ensure we got a table. We arrived around 6.30 and initially, there were just ourselves and another couple however, it soon filled up and there were a number of people ordering food in the beer garden too.

We were made to feel welcome when we entered the pub and from the bar ordered Peronis which were served in long glasses and were deliciously cool. We were quickly showed to our table and menus were presented. Before 7pm, there is the option to dine from a £14.95 special menu (2 courses or £17.95 for 3). we didn't order from this and to be quite honest, the choice was fairly limited - maybe it just wasn't to our taste and others may find it perfectly acceptable.

My partner quickly decided on fish and chips - it took me a little longer because the main menu gave me all sorts of options. I finally decided upon the Cajun chicken with salad. The food at the Parkfield is cooked to order, so does take a little longer than the 'ping' menu eateries and the Parkfield food does not disappoint. The fish and chips were beautifully cooked and the tartar sauce (home made I'm sure) was delicious according to my partner. I tried the mushy peas and again, these were delicious. My chicken was nicely presented, very tasty and the rocket salad with red onions and beef tomatoes complimented this perfectly. If there is just one slight criticism, the fish portion could have been bigger and I would have liked a little more chicken but we really could not fault the quality.

We decided to have desserts and with around ten or so to choose from , this is perfectly adequate. I decided on the Eton Mess (picture attached). As you will see, this is not actually a mess! It was beautifully presented in a cocktail glass and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My partner chose the Sticky Spiced Pineapple Tart Tatin. The waitress advised us that this was cooked fresh and therefore would take around twenty minutes. Communication is the key to excellent service, so full marks for this. The dish itself was declared excellent by my partner, who decided to celebrate this with a cocktail - any excuse! This was reasonably priced and again received appropriate compliments.

It was a very warm evening when we visited and as such there were a number of families with children in the beer garden. Not the Parkfield's fault, but it does become tiresome when the same children are constantly walking through the restaurant unsupervised. If you do take children to a pub, they do belong to you and you are responsible. This is a minor issue and we had a very enjoyable evening at the Parkfield - the food is definitely more than pub grub and we can thoroughly recommend it. Service from the staff both in the bar and at the table was excellent, friendly and personable and a true asset to the business. Will we return - definitely!

Finally, I have scored the Parkfield a four. This is a top score in my opinion for most establishments with five being reserved for the very, very best. My detailed scores will reflect that we really enjoyed our visit, so please keep up the good work!

2  Thank R55DRG
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Monday evening, two persons sharing;
Oak Smoked Haddock
Salmon And Dill Fishcake
Pan Roasted King Scallops
Apple Wood Smoked Duck Breast

To receive such high quality cuisine and superlative presentation on Monday evening speaks magnitudes for the standards at the Parkfield.

Probably a good idea to go through the whole menu to see what other gems can be enjoyed.

Superb!!

2  Thank J8J8J8143
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have visited this pub twice in the last couple of months and really enjoyed both the food and service. I went for the two course menu on the first occasion and couldn't fault it, nicely presented chicken liver pate followed by baked fish served with good veg not overcooked.
The second visit I had the lamb Henry, a generous portion of tender lamb well presented on a bed of mash with good veg. The only quibble I had was the lamb was a bit dry especially the top portion which looked over cooked and was a little hard. The staff were very pleasant and attentive.

2  Thank DeeganLancashire
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

The Parkfield is a lovely place for that little snacklet to fill that gap lovely service, and fantastic food, had lots here with family but couldn't stand going back now cooking hmmm yummy

2  Thank Peter H