“Worst place I have ever been! Don't go!”
Review of The Black Horse

The Black Horse
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Amberley
Price range: US$15 - US$29
Cuisines: Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A beautiful cotswold pub, with incredible views across the Nailsworth Valley. Great selection of drinks and a locally sourced freshly produced menu.
Reviewed 29 December 2011

After hearing some positive things about the Black Horse, I turned up with a friend in the hope of a bite to eat! On arrival, I waited for nearly 15 minutes to get served for a glass of wine. I was then told they had sold out of the two types of wine I wanted which was very disappointing as a friend had recommended which wines to try. When I finally got some wine, I was then told the kitchen had closed (at 1pm!) due to being too busy despite being assured on the phone that there would definitely be space for us to eat! The member of staff was very apologetic and polite but was obviously keen to deal with me quickly as there were only two staff working and a backlog of customers waiting to be served!!! Needless to say, there were many disgrunted customers queuing up to complain about the wait!! After finally getting a drink, we had to wait 20 minutes for a table to become available which was then dirty and unwiped! Only a few minutes after sitting down, the room we were sitting in became filled with smoke as there was a problem with the fire so we left leaving disappointed, hungry and thirsty! I visit many pubs and restaurauts and this ranks up there as the worst! My advice would be to stay well clear!

2  Thank Trisha1945

Reviewed 18 December 2011

This pub has stunning views from the conservatory, but they have over-priced themselves for what is essentially 'pub-grub'. Portions are decidedly mean!

Reviewed 27 November 2011

We booked to go for Sunday lunch for a friends birthday and booked in advance! We arrived to be told our table wasn't quite ready but we were happy to go to the bar and order drinks! We ended up waiting a hour and a quarter to get our table (we ordered food in this time as there was now a 40 minute wait for food) and once we were all able to sit together (there were 12 of us) we waited another hour for food which then arrived cold! We asked for more vegetables and were given a small bowl of cabbage and when we asked for more gravy for our beef, we were given onion gravy which was not pourable! We finally left after 2 and a half hours feeling very hungry and very very disappointed!

3  Thank 3110deano
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Just a great pub all round: good food and ale in pleasant surroundings, and the views through the conservatory or from outside across the valley, are breathtaking!

Reviewed 1 November 2011

We enjoyed an excellent, good value meal. The menu had some interesting food choices. We liked the starter being served on a slate and overall presentation of the food was excellent. The quality of the ingredients was high with local produce used and well cooked. Despite being very busy, the young staff were friendly, polite and helpful.
Thank you.