“Meeting the locals in Fremantle” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tradewinds Hotel Fremantle

Tradewinds Hotel Fremantle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Fremantle
Busselton, Australia
“Meeting the locals in Fremantle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

I have always had a soft spot for Fremantle, or Freo as the locals call it, ever since my dad told me that he had visited the port during his years as a Merchant seaman when I was no more than a twinkle in his eye.

Sadly, my dad is no longer alive but I came across a spirited bunch of salty sea dogs while staying in the Tradewinds hotel. This sprawling hotel could easily roll over and crumble like too many other opulent buildings in Fremantle, but it has decided to stick it out and has emerged with grit and character.

The salty sea dogs were here for some mandatory training and were about to depart for the North West shelf, for a five week stint at sea with no alcohol allowed on board.

Although alone in the hotel bar, they sought me out, feeding me free beer and tales of the high sea as they feasted during the corporate happy hour where each Tuesday free beer flows continually from the bar taps.

Much later, they moved outside and I went in search of food and confirmation of bus timetables to get me into the city the following morning. Not only did the friendly waitress know about time tables, she also produced her iPhone and recent app with all times available.

While I got stuck into pepper steak and chips, she scrolled frantically in an attempt to assist with my plight.

I scanned the restaurant and realised one difference between the Tradewinds and the previous 4 star hotel I had just stayed in at Perth city centre.

The staff here seemed happy. They laughed with the chef. They helped the guests and they seemed to get on well.

I missed the early bus next morning as my alarm call didn't come through.

But I still wasn't late for work and managed to jump on the next one.

Maybe its the hotel, or maybe its Fremantle, but somehow the staff and visitors seemed to have a far richer character than the monotone regulars on St Georges Terrace

I wonder if my dad ever made it to the Tradewinds Hotel?

happy travelling

amc

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

Our party of four adults were very disappointed with our lunch eaten Sat before Father's Day.
The negatives. The food. Ordered: Squid rings - no flavour, no squid! Basically deep fried rings of batter. Dry and 'old' taste to them; Curry (with rice) - plain plain plain! No flavour, watery and the least 'curry' curry dish ever tasted (i.e. NO spice or bite what-so-ever); Sardines on toast - exactly that. Sardines. On toast. Nothing fancy, average at best.
The price. For what was served the price did not equal the quality, way too overpriced.
On a positive - the chips were good! The service was fine, no issues.

Unfortunately the best thing going for the restaurant is the view/location. Other than than. pfft. Oh. Of course the drinks were fine - like you would get at any pub.

While it's not fine dining and fine dining is not expected the prices being charged here should indicate better quality food than what was served. One party member commented that the 'chef' must be a 'cook' as it's something easily whipped up at home, if not better.

Room Tip: Just order drinks and chips!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Michellebentravellin

Travellers are raving about these East Fremantle hotels

Hunter Valley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

The service was excellent & the room clean & comfortable. The bistro with open fire place was brilliant. The food was as good as any restaurant food in Fremantle. Excellent wine choice & good service.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Karrajinifan, Director of Sales at Tradewinds Hotel Fremantle, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Thank you Lovedale Hunter Valley for your feedback and in particular the positive comments on the service and food we provide in our Bistro. It is always reassuring to hear that the daily efforts made by many are noticed and appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind regards

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

We would not recommend this hotel. We have never paid $200 a night in an off peak season for a room where you enter through curtains via a sliding doorThe whole property looks tired, especially the pool area and general surrounds. It is a good 20 minute walk into Fremantle, not the short distance we were led to believe. Having to ask for the bottle of wine included in the package was embarassing. It should be in the room upon check in. Having a tradesman begin work on the balcony above at 7.45am is unacceptable. To top off a very ordinary experience we had to listen to non stop traffic noise from the Canning Hwy. just outside the door. There is better accomodation in this price range in Fremantle!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MagpieCol
Dear Magpie Col

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Tradewinds Hotel, we really appreciate this. Your opinion is extremely important to us as your comments and suggestions assist us in strategies to continually improve the quality of services and facilities.

Plans are in place to upgrade certain areas of the Hotel. We do suggest to our guests that it is a 20 minute walk into Fremantle so I do apologize if you were led to believe differently. It is a lovely walk along the river or up through Monument Hill.

I apologise that your wine was not placed in your room prior to check in which is our normal procedure. The Tradesman working outside your room before 9am is not acceptable, the Front Office team and Maintance team have both been addressed in regards to these matters.

I can offer no excuses only apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Once again I thank you for your review.

Kindest regards

Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

A hotel that has been brought up to the 21st century but only in some areas. Restraurant, main bar and outside eating and drinking decks are nicely done but the main reception is somewhat old fashioned with hideous green patterned carpet. The rooms are entered via glass sliding patio doors and need updating. The beds were very firm and the pillows were made of concrete foam! There are no pillow or quilt menus here! The bathrooms are very 80's, our towel rail was hanging off and the pipes screamed when someone in another room used their shower. The pool was dirty as were the sunloungers and the lift had a filthy carpet that didn't look like it had been vacuumed the 4 days I was there. The walkways to the rooms needed resurfacing as they appeared to be painted concrete and were slippery, especially when wet. The stair wells were the same.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful and the food was good. It seemed a popular place for locals to eat. There was free car parking and its location was good.
This accommodation was expensive for what was provided and was therefore not value for money.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Karrajinifan, Director of Sales at Tradewinds Hotel Fremantle, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
Dear Scotland Magpie,

I thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. Your opinion is extremely important to us and your comments will only help us to improve our services and facilities.

We appreciate your positive comments regarding our pleasant staff, complimentary parking, good location and food.

In regards to our walkways we have been currently investigating the best options to ensure they are as safe as possible. We are anticipating work will commence on this in the near future.

The Beds are brand new and I apologize the pillows were not suitable for you.

The Bistro and deck areas were upgraded recently and there is a vision to upgrade our accommodation rooms in the future.

Once again I thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and would be delighted if you would come back to the hotel again.

Kindest regards
Darwin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel on business. I am fairly picky about hotels and did not arrive in a good mood as my boss had suggested this hotel - hence I had no say in it :-( On arrival when walking to the reception we walked past several rooms where the 'view' was of the lift area or darker areas of the walkways. I was not keen at all on having a room situated like this as I like to be able to see out into natural light.

At reception I mentioned that I was not keen on a room near the lift or near the busy/dark parts of the walkways. I was given room 303 on the top floor and I was very pleased. This room looked out of the sliding door onto natural light. My colleague had a room I think was 208 and it was just as nice.

The room itself was very nicely decorated and the beds and linen were very comfortable. There was a little kitchenette and I managed to buy some food to cook myself for breakfast and dinner. The breakfast was nice (only had one day) but I did think if you were a couple staying here that $26 each or $52 per couple would definately be too much.

The room was cleaned very well each day. TV had many channels.

Pub next door was great to meet colleagues in and have some dinner. There is secure parking available for no charge.

Others have said about the door being a sliding door which I didn't have any problems with as my room has a patio bolt on it for extra security. Curtains are 'block out' so no problems with privacy.

When I left I did notice that the bottom floor where reception is has like cobbled floor which made it very noisy when wheeling my bag along (sorry if I woke anyone!!). If staying here again I would just make sure I had a room away from the lift on the second or third floor.

Lou

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Dear Lou and Paul,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review on the Tradewinds Hotel.

We are always willing to accommodate our guests special requests where ever we can.

Im so glad you enjoyed meeting your colleagues in our bistro/patio area. The complimentary parking is definitely a great service for our guests.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Kind regards

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Rooms have a strange set up. Your front door is also your balcony door and it's just a glass door.... You'll either be safe and hot or unsafe and cool... Breakfast very good for this hotel. The rooms smelled of smoke from previous guests, not so good if you don't like stale smokey rooms... Location is amazing if you want to be near beaches...

Room Tip: Request river view
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Karrajinifan, Director of Sales at Tradewinds Hotel Fremantle, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Dear Sika165

Thank you for taking the time of completing a review, your opinion is extremely important to us as your comments and suggestions assist us in strategies to continually improve the quality of services and facilities.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive comments and we thank you for your feed back on breakfast and the amazing location. We are also very fortunate to be in a safe location, although we still complete regular security checks and provide reverse cycle air-conditioners for guests that like to close their doors.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your room as smoking is prohibited in the rooms and unfortunately housekeeping didn’t action the issue, this type of service is not the true standard to which Tradewinds Hotel aspires, I can offer no excuses only apologize for the inconvenience caused.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the Tradewinds Hotel in the future.

Kindest Regards
Pagoda Resort & Spa
Ocean Beach Hotel
Ocean Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Cottesloe

Been to Tradewinds Hotel Fremantle? Share your experiences!