“Lovely area”

Dining options: Breakfast
East Sussex, England
“Lovely area”
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Went to the Hikers Rest on a lovely warm sunny day and sat outside on the patio area. It is set in a lovely area with the Tiger Inn next door and set round a lawned area with a couple of other little places to eat. The food was nice, with a choice of sandwiches, baguettes, jacket potatoes and ploughmans and good choice of cakes. Lovely cake and lunch. Every seat was taken. The only downside was none of the staff smiled , I know it was a hot busy day but it made you feel awkward going up and ordering as if you were hindering them. Other than that a nice place to go.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank RH1-7

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A little disappointing”
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Been here a few times. It's lovely in theory, but we're always a little disappointed each time we have been and will probably avoid in future and go to the Tiger next door instead. The food is average, it's okay, but nothing special. The cake slices are really rather small and sometimes they have been rather dry (maybe not fresh enough). And for some reason they won't serve us a glass of milk for our little boy. Twice I've asked for a glass of milk and twice I've been told they don't do milk, despite obviously serving it with tea/coffee. My boy loves his cake and milk and got quite upset on one occasion, but they still wouldn't serve us any. I say this because the staff, although reasonably friendly, don't seem very accommodating to individual needs. I don't think they run the place because they love hospitality, more just because it's something to do.

The venue is lovely, inside there are a few tables and comfy sofas, and there is an outside patio which is very nice and catches the sun. And the shop has some lovely items at bargain prices. I'll definitely pop into the shop whenever we're over that way.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Ali-doolally
Seaford
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We visit here on a regular basis, staff friendly, food up to standard and carrot cake to die for - A very nice little gift shop with some unusual items - something different

• Visited June 2011
Altrincham
“Very Dissapointed”
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Stopped here instead of the upmarket tiger pub next door, but food quality and quantity both poor. I had cheese & Red Onion Bagette. Not really a bagette, just a piece off a french loaf, probably about 1/2 a bagette in size and definitely yesterdays, not todays bread. My wife had soup and a roll. Thin watery packet soup was her description, the roll was some more french stick, toasted this time, think we know why! Quantities not enough if you are really a hiker.
On the brighter side, it was very busy, I assume a lot of repeat trade as it was a blowy Friday in February, so clearly some people like it.

• Visited February 2011