“A Must Do on the Kenyan coast”
Review of Mida Ecocamp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gede
Mida Ecocamp
London
“A Must Do on the Kenyan coast”
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in the cheapest hut option available (can't remember what it was called) and from the moment we arrived we loved it. Staff were so friendly, trips to Gede ruins and to the local community and schools were amazing and the creek itself is absolutely breath taking. Accomodation was so impressive, the whole structure of the main building with the terrace is immence, outdoor showers (optional) were great fun and the food was really good. Nights were spent playing cards and sitting round the bonfire watching the stars. We could have happily stayed much longer, we were in Africa for 3 months and this place was definately a highlight.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Mida Ecocamp is wonderfully located next to beautiful Mida Creake and close to Araboko Sokoko Forest. Here you can take day trips by canoe, go fishing, visit the Gede ruins, walk in the forest but also take a tuktuk or a Matatu to Watamus wonderful beaches.The main building houses the kitchen, toilets and shower, and on top is a large terrace where meals are served. Here, we used to sit with the children in the evenings, in the glow of kerosene lamps, surrounded by the sounds of crickets and frogs. In the day time we relaxed here in the cozy chill-out sofas, read and played card games.
The accommodation in the huts are simple, but affordable and clean. We stayed in the Swahili-hut and our bed, which is permanently was very comfortable. (the Childrens extra beds were of simple types)
All staff are from the village and the camp is run by the community. Mida Ecocamp is an example of sustainable tourism in which the profit goes back to the community. Your money is not in the hands of any European owners or wealthy Kenyan, for that matter. Your money goes to school buildings and teacher salaries. Mida eco camp offers hope and possibilities fore a change in a very poor and needy area. Staff are helpful and friendly. They care for their camp and their guests in a way that I never previously experienced as a traveler...and what they have accomplished here is unique and very admirable.
Do not miss to visit the school!
Matesso, who works at the camp, arranged so that our children had their hair rasta-plaited by some women in the village. This meant that we spent many hours in a Giriama-homestead. Hospitality, curiosity and genuine cultural exchange.
Emma, Stockholm Sweden

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I felt compelled to write a review before I leave... I arrived yesterday midday and was a bit worried about the last review I read on Mida. I want to let everyone know not to be put off - come here it is great - it is heaven on earth and here for a very very good cause.... this place puts a lot back into the community unlike the big hotels and resorts who pay their staff a pittance and line their own pockets. It is not for the traveller seeking great levels of comfort. I stayed in the Zanzibar Hut which was was great - clean sheets and good mozzie net... big enough for a family! I feel safe and looked after. The price is fantastic too. The staff go out of their way to help... it is wonderful to be here after hectic Nairobi and Mombassa.
One tip is to make sure the Matatu driver lets you off at the right place - I was put out at the wrong sign and could have got very lost. You have to get out at the second sign that says Mida Eco Camp.... I was put out at the Mida Creek and Boardwalk sign - but when I was not sure where I was I rang the camp and they came immediately to fetch me. So if you want to stay somewhere that is special and quiet and a little piece of paradise come to Mids Eco Camp... my only regret is that I leave tomorrow!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank travelbeehappy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

After reading reviews for the eco camp we were very keen to visit.

We booked the Swahili room; Unfortunately the bed hadn't been changed and there was no running water to flush the shared toilet. There was a sign on the wall from management reminding the staff not to wash the dishes in the pond water.

This has been the only place that we have ever been too without being able to stay the night; We got a taxi back to Malindi that evening.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 12 January 2011

My family and I spent a magical week at Mida eco camp.The place is just a short walk from the main Mombassa to Malindi road but just feels as though it is on another planet with an atmosphere and pace of life it is virtually impossible to find in this day and age.The guys that run the place were incredibly welcoming and kept our kids entertained whilst we waited for the Zanzibar hut to be prepared for us.The hut is basic but very charming with an open rooftop where my wife and kids decided to sleep.I slept in the main bedroom downstairs which was comfortable once I had the mozzie net changed.Food was good and plentiful with the chef Soli doing an amazing job of cooking in near darkness on an open fire in the kitchen.
The creek itself is fabulous where you can walk and walk alongside the mangroves and watch the large number of bird species including around 300 flamingoes.The boardwalk trip through the mangroves was lovely and our visit to the village,school and Gedi ruins with Ben fascinating.At night there is little else to do than relax and watch the stars which were spellbinding.
Overall if you are looking for a place to get away from it all and take it slowly in the knowledge that your money is helping the local community then I can highly recommend Mida creek.And to the guys who work voluntarily(in particular Ben who is such a fantastic human being)we say asante sana!!Our daughters(8 and 11)were crying on the plane to Lamu begging us to take them back to Mida where they had spent such a memorable and happy week.We hope to return one day soon.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank welshviking47
UK
Reviewed 11 January 2011

We spent the last 4 days of our 2 week trip to Kenya at Mida Eco Camp. We stayed in the Zanzibar Hut which is by far the nicest. We slept outside on the top floor iin 2 single beds with mossie nets as it was hot during our stay and loved going to sleep under the stars. You live very close to the village and its lovely hearing and seeing simple village life all around you. Don't expect frills, the rooms don't have their own bathroom but it is only a short walk and an open air shower has to be the best way to go in a hot country. The pace of life is much slower and we found we really relaxed. We did the Mangrove Walk, Village Tour and Island trip all of which i can recommend. I would strongly recommend going for 2 nights or more so you can really relax and enjoy the trips on offer. This is the place to get away from tourists!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Southampton, UK
Reviewed 12 September 2010

We had a fabulous time at Mida Eco Camp this July. We wished we had booked more than the 3 nights we stayed as there is so much to do in the area. We went to the National Park, visited the Gedi ruins, went snorkelling out on the reef, went canoing, visited the local village (and tried the local moonshine), and did the Mangrove boardwalk!

The accomodation is fairly basic but this is made up for by the friendly staff and the fantastic food. The location is amazing and all the buildings really take advantage of it; stay in the Zanzibar hut if you can and you'll see what I mean!

The only problem we had was transport to the camp. We found it easier in the end to take a taxi from Mombasa airport as we'd just arrived in the country. If you find your feet a bit before heading there it is possible to take the Matatus. Once we were there we got around mostly with the Matatus and found them cheap and not too scary!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Been to Mida Ecocamp? Share your experiences!