“amazing getaway”
Review of Mida Ecocamp

Mida Ecocamp
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Mida Ecocamp is situated inside the Mida Creek and is a sustainable, community-run camp that offers great campsites and some rooms. Do not expect unnecessary luxury, but a very friendly and authentic accomodation apart from the mass-tourism concrete hotels that pleague the Kenyan coastline. Pitch up your tent in one of the secluded and shady campsites, grab your flip-flops and have a cold beer on the open restaurant platform overlooking the mangroves and the creek - it is amazing.

I do not know about the rooms, but apart from the kitchen and the office there seems to be no electricity (cellphones etc. can be charged at the office) and at night the camp (and each campsite) is being lit by oil lamps. Needless to mention that the staff (a special thanks to Eric!) is very friendly and competent as well. So seems to be the chef since the food is delicious (in fact the sukuma wiki was the best I have had in Kenya), but not on the cheap side. Also, as some already mentioned, the excursions are quite expensive with the notable exception of the Village Walk - do it! You will get an unforgettable and authentic glimpse on how the Giriama people in and around the creek live today.

We will be back!

Room Tip: All of the private campsites offer privacy and a shadowy place to pitch up the tent.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 October 2012

All was perfect! Excellent! But just the prices of the excursions is overpriced for what they offer. We felt a little disappointment. Anyway, we will come back if we have a new opportunity, for sure! But we will organize our trips by our own.

Room Tip: All the cottage are perfect because their are so beautiful! Just to prove all of them we should ch...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Two years ago I first visited Mida Ecocamp as a solo traveller just for a few days. The creek, the camp and the people were magic, so this year I came with my family (husband, and kids of 16 and 12). We all loved it, our 5 days in Mida were the highlight and the best days of our holiday! The place and the people are so relaxed, we have never experienced such warmth and hospitality, such a welcoming atmosphere. Moreover, the food is excellent!! We stayed in the Zanzibar house and that is really great for a family, the kids slept on the roof terrace. Mateso, Eric, Katana, Katore and all the staff: thank you for being excellent guides and hosts! We so much enjoyed the trips with you, and just hanging out and sharing stories. We hope to be back soon, we already miss the creek and the starry nights...

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Mida Eco Camp is fantastic! We stayed in the Zanzibar hut for three nights at the beginning of June and felt like we were in paradise lounging on our elevated second floor overlooking the forest and mangroves. The whole camp looks beautiful and is made out of local wood, driftwood and thatching. The staff, particularly Mateso and Eric couldn’t do more for us and were always on hand to make sure we had a comfortable stay. I would highly recommend Mateso’s cooking, the fresh fish and coconut rice was delicious!
During our stay we went on the canoe trip to the Gede ruins. After getting over the nerves of being in a dugout canoe in the middle of the creek we relaxed into the experience! Mateso took us into the mangroves and explained all the different species. I think we were the only tourists in Watamu to have visited the ruins by canoe! The other trip was the beautiful boardwalk where we could sit in the sun for a while watching the fishermen come home with the mornings catch and the many birds and crabs.
I would highly recommend Mida Eco camp for anyone visiting Watamu who wants a different experience from the big all –inclusive on the beach drab. It is ran by the Giriama tribe and all proceeds are re-invested into the community and go towards medical supplies and education amongst other things.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in the cheapest hut option available (can't remember what it was called) and from the moment we arrived we loved it. Staff were so friendly, trips to Gede ruins and to the local community and schools were amazing and the creek itself is absolutely breath taking. Accomodation was so impressive, the whole structure of the main building with the terrace is immence, outdoor showers (optional) were great fun and the food was really good. Nights were spent playing cards and sitting round the bonfire watching the stars. We could have happily stayed much longer, we were in Africa for 3 months and this place was definately a highlight.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Mida Ecocamp is wonderfully located next to beautiful Mida Creake and close to Araboko Sokoko Forest. Here you can take day trips by canoe, go fishing, visit the Gede ruins, walk in the forest but also take a tuktuk or a Matatu to Watamus wonderful beaches.The main building houses the kitchen, toilets and shower, and on top is a large terrace where meals are served. Here, we used to sit with the children in the evenings, in the glow of kerosene lamps, surrounded by the sounds of crickets and frogs. In the day time we relaxed here in the cozy chill-out sofas, read and played card games.
The accommodation in the huts are simple, but affordable and clean. We stayed in the Swahili-hut and our bed, which is permanently was very comfortable. (the Childrens extra beds were of simple types)
All staff are from the village and the camp is run by the community. Mida Ecocamp is an example of sustainable tourism in which the profit goes back to the community. Your money is not in the hands of any European owners or wealthy Kenyan, for that matter. Your money goes to school buildings and teacher salaries. Mida eco camp offers hope and possibilities fore a change in a very poor and needy area. Staff are helpful and friendly. They care for their camp and their guests in a way that I never previously experienced as a traveler...and what they have accomplished here is unique and very admirable.
Do not miss to visit the school!
Matesso, who works at the camp, arranged so that our children had their hair rasta-plaited by some women in the village. This meant that we spent many hours in a Giriama-homestead. Hospitality, curiosity and genuine cultural exchange.
Emma, Stockholm Sweden

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I felt compelled to write a review before I leave... I arrived yesterday midday and was a bit worried about the last review I read on Mida. I want to let everyone know not to be put off - come here it is great - it is heaven on earth and here for a very very good cause.... this place puts a lot back into the community unlike the big hotels and resorts who pay their staff a pittance and line their own pockets. It is not for the traveller seeking great levels of comfort. I stayed in the Zanzibar Hut which was was great - clean sheets and good mozzie net... big enough for a family! I feel safe and looked after. The price is fantastic too. The staff go out of their way to help... it is wonderful to be here after hectic Nairobi and Mombassa.
One tip is to make sure the Matatu driver lets you off at the right place - I was put out at the wrong sign and could have got very lost. You have to get out at the second sign that says Mida Eco Camp.... I was put out at the Mida Creek and Boardwalk sign - but when I was not sure where I was I rang the camp and they came immediately to fetch me. So if you want to stay somewhere that is special and quiet and a little piece of paradise come to Mids Eco Camp... my only regret is that I leave tomorrow!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank travelbeehappy

Been to Mida Ecocamp? Share your experiences!