“Perfect blend of nature and culture” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mida Ecocamp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gede
Mida Ecocamp
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
“Perfect blend of nature and culture”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2010

I loved this place. My friend and I camped here for 2 nights. Here's what we loved: the outdoor showers (it was refreshing to be naked outside under a beautiful sunset!), the lantern lit dinner atmosphere, the friendly staff, Coco the donkey, the seamless marriage between the camp and the environment, and the environmental and cultural morality of the place. We would definitely recommend it to fellow travelers.

Tips:
*If you'd like to help the local Giriama community, donate a simple box of pencils for the school children.
*If you camp, definitely spend the extra 100 ksh/night for a mattress! It comes with clean sheets, so worth it.

Complaints:
*We expected fruit included with our 300 ksh breakfast, but did not receive any- fruit was even listed as part of the breakfast on the website.
*Some sort of lined rubbish bin in the toilets might would have made it easier for both guests and the plumbing system, there was nowhere to put sanitary items except down the toilet.
*non-alcoholic drinks were not included with the dinner cost, so bring your own water if you're on a budget, they sell the expensive brand (Keringet) at the camp.
*for campers: only one mattress was available to both me and my friend- I let her have it. I would have been happy to pay an extra 100 ksh/night to save my back from the hard ground!

I wrote Mida Ecocamp a letter with these suggestions after my stay there- they never responded, so I don't know if they took my notes. Please speak up to them about anything that would make your stay better, let's make this awesome place as good as it can be!

• Liked — The respect and preservation of the natural environment and the Giriama tribe community/culture
  • Disliked — nowhere to throw trash, overpriced breakfast, poor mattress availability for campers.
  • Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
2 Thank elizacantlay

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gede
Mawe Resort
Mawe Resort
#3 of 26 in Watamu
hotel Eco Lodge Jua Bahari
Turtle Bay Beach Club
Turtle Bay Beach Club
#13 of 26 in Watamu

Been to Mida Ecocamp? Share your experiences!