“Family weekend away”

Hallmark Hotel Cambridge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bar Hill
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We booked this hotel as a full board package, for a weekend away for 7 of us to include a game of golf on the Saturday afternoon.

On arrival we were greeted promptly and although early we were given access to our rooms, which was a unexpected bonus. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel rooms were spacious, however I would say look a little tired, with carpet that could do with a good clean and maintenance required in the bathroom to fix the shower.

As part of our package we had dinner, looking at the menu online it looked very good, however when we arrived for dinner we were give a set menu, with limited choice. The starters were very poor with very small portions. The prawn cocktail had a few prawns and the rest lettuce, when we complained we were given a couple of extra small prawns but no sauce. The main courses arrived but were not very warm and again very small portions. When trying to order desert, we were told they had not got several of the dishes that were on the menu. Which considering it was a limited menu, was very poor. Again when we complained the manager just came up with very poor excuses. It was apparent they were understaffed with inexperienced staff unable to cope with the number of people they were serving. To be fair the breakfast in the morning was much better and the lady in charge managed the whole operation effectively.

On the plus side, the golf course is of a very good standard and the golf shop were very helpful.

If you are looking for a break with a family I would not recommend this hotel, it appears more geared for golf societies.

We were compensated for the poor meal, however for the money we had paid, the weekend was not what we had hoped for. The website makes it sound like a very grand hotel, it is far from that. As you will see from my other reviews, I do not normally complain.

Room Tip: Rooms looking onto car park were noisy as Golfers arrived back in the early hours from a night out i...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Shaun V, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear neilinbarton, thank you for leaving us your review which I have shared with my team. I'm glad that overall you had an enjoyable break with us and we will review those suggestions and comments you have left.

We will try and locate the room you stayed in and remedy the shower - if not already done.

I'm sorry if there was a problem with the portion sizes and in particular the prawn cocktail that night - this comment has been discussed with the chef on duty and certainly will not repeat itself.

I'm pleased you enjoyed every aspect of our golf offering and hopefully we can welcome you back again in the future for a golfing break.

Regards

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I will start with the good points which won't take long. Firstly the front of house staff are friendly and as helpful as they can be in the circumstances and the staffing levels.

Our room was reasonably spacious, there was a king sized bed as described and it was comfortable, which is always a plus. The bathroom on the other hand was little more than a box. You had to close the door to access the bath/shower. Two people would not have been able to stand in the room even if the door was shut. And it lacked any sense of design or charm.

Indeed I really saw no evidence of the recent refurbishment that is claimed on the website. See my photographs which show the chipped and damaged doors, bannisters and walls in the public areas.

I am sure that there are laws against false advertising. My partner and I like good food. One of the reasons we chose this hotel was the restaurants description and the AA rosette they proudly cite. A rosette I am convinced after eating here they downloaded and photocopied (note I say eat and not dine). I can't believe they were ever awarded a rosette or an accolade of any description. Their website states: "You can enjoy a delicious meal in our AA rosette award winning Brasserie restaurant where we produce something for every palate, using the finest ingredients and seasonal produce". Nothing could be further from the truth. I have photographed the menu so you can see for yourself how unimaginative and uninspiring it was.

When the manager spoke to us I did mention this and to be fair he did offer to have the kitchen do me something else. Though with what they did with the ingredients on offer from a basic menu i dread to think what they would have done with anything more complicated Plus part of the charm of visiting a restaurant is to be tantalised by the menu. My husband chose a feta cheese salad. It was ok as far as it went. Although there was only a very small amount of cheese. I asked the waitress were the garlic mushrooms on ciabatta in a cream sauce she said yes. They came as a greasy unappetising mess. I mentioned the cream and said I would have the prawn cocktail instead. She went back to the kitchen and returned with the slop I have photographed for you. Clearly the kitchen threw a bit of cream on the mushrooms and plonked them back on the plate on top of the rocket that was on the plate previously and the un-toasted ciabetta which then became a soggy mess. I didn't eat more than a mouthful.

The main course was little better some wafer thin slices of a cheap cut of pork and a couple of roast potatoes. No garnish, no apple sauce no anything. My husband had a stew with puff pastry crust. He left the pastry and the lady at a table opposite was as disparaging about the stew as I was the mushrooms. We had ordered a side of hand cut chips, these came in a metal container which was dumped unceremoniously in the gravy from the stew.. The promised roast potatoes were missing and when we enquired a menu had to be sought to see if they should have been served. They were then brought These and the chips were surprisingly good. Unlike the vegatables whch were clearly the mass produced bag variety, nothing locally seasonal or locally sourced there. The selection we were originally served came with black sweetcorn. Very unappetising, clearly old and badly cooked. The new veg that was delivered, well there is fin line between al dente and raw and these were the latter. My husband tried to cut a carrott which almost flew off the plate. The lady across the way said when they got their vegetables they were cold. She also shared with us that people were complaining the night before too. So it wasn't a one off bad night in the kitchen.

Our desserts were about the best of the night and as they were shop bought it was no credit to the kitchen. I had Apple Betty Pie and my husband Peach Melba Cheesecake. Which was fine if served at a local supermarket cafe but a four star rosette kitchen no.

Breakfast was adequate but nothing special and I didn't see any evidence of anything that was available to be cooked to order. I felt the food offered was of the budget variety and I have often eaten better elsewhere.

The bar is on the first floor next to the bedrooms - odd. Maybe that's why there isn't even any background music. The seating was comfortable but the bar lacked any atmosphere or welcome. They do do bar meals, burgers and such and they food did look more appetising than that in the restaurant.

We didn't try the leisure facilities which we had intended to do but were so disappointed we couldn't leave fast enough, although it had been our intention to do so.

The hotel is a good way from Cambridge and there is nowhere locally that you can dine that we could see. If you do stay here please do yourselves a favour and eat in Cambridge and only return here to sleep.

When we checked out the Restaurant Manager removed the three drinks from our bill. A nice gesture but it went nowhere to make up for a miserable and spoilt evening. A personal special occasion ruined, thank you Menzies!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank intrepidtravellerx2
Shaun V, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear intrepidtravellerx2,

I was sorry to read of your disappointments following your visit. I know my managers tried very hard to offer you the level of hospitality expected and spent time with you discussing your feedback.

As you can see from the many positive reviews we get - the team are very honest and everything we do is built around delivering a warm and friendly "home from home" to our many guests we welcome to Cambridge. I'm sorry that you did not experience this.

Regards

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Me and my wife spent the weekend in Cambridge over the bank holiday weekend from the 03/05/14 - 05/05/14. We stayed at Menzies Hotel as they were providing a special deal at a very competitive price.

We both had a very pleasant and relaxing stay and found the service to be excellent. From reception through to gym staff all were very helpful and prompt.

Furthermore the restaurant staff were extremely friendly and accommodating during breakfast and dinner time always going the extra mile to provide a top service. Credit in particular should go to the Operations manager Sumith Alahakoon who was consistently willing to help and make our stay more satisfying.

Totally recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Cambridge.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed for a 2 day workshop / conference and one night. Nice place. Clean.
Really helpful staff especially Tina in the Dining Room.
My room was near the health club which was a bit noisty. but all good aaprat from that.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for our 'Away Day' on business, my room was lovely, on the ground floor, very quiet, bathroom was slightly small but very clean and well equipped - the bar on the upper floor was very nice, although under staffed 2 people for over 80 guests meant that service was very slow. Our evening meal in the hotel was good, the room looked lovely when we all went in to sit down. We had private dining - and the catering was for 60 - never a good situation, but the staff coped very well with it.
checking in and out was very easy, the Receptionists were great, and very helpful when I needed a Florist at short notice.

Room Tip: my room was on the ground floor - on the conference side, very quiet, airy and comfortable
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Natalie on reception made sure my bath hat was replaced after the cleaners had accidentally thrown it away. Sending the equally lovely Katie to get one from tesco. This action was overseen by Manuel the duty manager.
Nice friendly hotel of good quality.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Enjoyed 2 nights at this hotel, for the wedding of Matt Cox and Morvern Tomison. It was an enjoyable experience and we were treated royally by SUMITH and his "A Team". Would highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Our twin bedded room on the 1st floor suited us very well.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear CmacFraz, it was a pleasure to host Matt and Morvern's BIG DAY and I was so pleased that you enjoyed the event with us.

I have passed your very kind comments on to Sumith and the team and we do hope you will find time to visit us again in the future.

Many thanks

#9 of 36 in Cambridge
The Gonville Hotel
The Gonville Hotel
#2 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to Hallmark Hotel Cambridge? Share your experiences!