We booked this hotel as a full board package, for a weekend away for 7 of us to include a game of golf on the Saturday afternoon.
On arrival we were greeted promptly and although early we were given access to our rooms, which was a unexpected bonus. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel rooms were spacious, however I would say look a little tired, with carpet that could do with a good clean and maintenance required in the bathroom to fix the shower.
As part of our package we had dinner, looking at the menu online it looked very good, however when we arrived for dinner we were give a set menu, with limited choice. The starters were very poor with very small portions. The prawn cocktail had a few prawns and the rest lettuce, when we complained we were given a couple of extra small prawns but no sauce. The main courses arrived but were not very warm and again very small portions. When trying to order desert, we were told they had not got several of the dishes that were on the menu. Which considering it was a limited menu, was very poor. Again when we complained the manager just came up with very poor excuses. It was apparent they were understaffed with inexperienced staff unable to cope with the number of people they were serving. To be fair the breakfast in the morning was much better and the lady in charge managed the whole operation effectively.
On the plus side, the golf course is of a very good standard and the golf shop were very helpful.
If you are looking for a break with a family I would not recommend this hotel, it appears more geared for golf societies.
We were compensated for the poor meal, however for the money we had paid, the weekend was not what we had hoped for. The website makes it sound like a very grand hotel, it is far from that. As you will see from my other reviews, I do not normally complain.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hallmark Hotel Cambriddge is Located right on the A14, just a mile from the M11 and 5 miles northeast from the heart of Cambridge. The hotel has ample parking, a beautiful golf course, 136 comfy bedrooms, flexible meeting rooms and a lovely health club - it has absolutely everything you need for a successful business trip or relaxing short break in Cambridge. A hotel that has it all Free WiFi throughout. Located just 5 miles from Cambridge city centre Plenty of parking - complimentary when booking your stay direct with the hotel. £10 over night charge otherwise. 136 bedrooms including family bedrooms for up to 5 Brasserie, lounge and bar The Cambridgeshire Golf Course - 18-hole 2 tennis courts, indoor swimming pool, fitness suite and treatment rooms Sauna, steam-room, spa bath Ideal wedding venue for up to 180 guests 10 versatile meeting rooms for up to 200 delegates Sky Sports and BT Sport now available in the bar ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Superbreak UK, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hallmark Hotel Cambridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Menzies Cambridge Hotel And Golf Club
- Menzies Hotel Cambridge
- Hallmark Hotel Cambridge Bar Hill, Cambridgeshire