“Really good”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bar Hill
retford
“Really good”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Visited recently for work event, very friendly staff, food and drink good, had a round of golf at discounted rate, very good well kept course. Impressed. Rooms very spacious and well kept. My colleagues also shared my positive views on the hotel stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Friell, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Dear Member,

Thank you very much for your recent review. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay and in particular our fantastic golf course. Our green staff work extremely hard to ensure our course is one of the top courses in the country and I am pleased that you and your colleagues enjoyed playing it.

Kind Regards,

Stuart Friell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The positives - Very nice golf course on site. Gym, pool (didn't try them).

The negatives - generally poor value for money. The food (breakfast, bar, restaurant) was really substandard in my opinion, I would recommend avoiding it. Poor ingredients, and badly cooked it boggled the mind. I could go into detail but its a standard complaint by guests. You have to ask for everything, dont expect anything special for your 'executive room' except for A/C. Wifi disconnects regularly and wasn't fit for purpose as a result. Pillows hard and uncomfortable but bed was good.

Local info - there is a supermarket and pub across the adjacent roundabout. You would be better grabbing your food and drinks at one of those - better quality, cheaper and with some atmosphere.

Room Tip: 'Executive' rooms are the only ones with A/C - worth it if it is summer. Bring your own pill...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Bar Hill hotels

South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

As with some other reviewers, we booked a 2-night break with Living Social for GBP 159.00. This included B&B, 1 3-course dinner, 1 cream tea, 1 round of golf and use of the leisure facilities. If I had paid full price, I would have been disappointed but for the price we paid, I felt that it was good value for money. On our arrival the car park was flooded and there was no way in on foot via the main entrance due to torrential rain. We ended up having to telephone from the car park and ask staff how to get in! We finally parked near the leisure centre and were told to enter via the leisure centre entrance. We walked round in the downpour only to find that this was also under about 6 inches of water! Finally we were let in via the sliding doors near the pool by one of the leisure centre staff! There was just no help at all and many other people were at a loss to see how to get into the hotel. They obviously have no flood contingency plan when it comes to looking after customers! On the plus side the welcome we received was good, we were swiftly moved to a room on the first floor and I did not want a ground floor room in view of the fact that some of them were already flooded round the back, the room was clean and spacious with tea, coffee, hot choc etc. There didn't appear to be any air con in the room but luckily it wasn't too warm so it remained comfortable. We opened the window and immediately we had 2 wasps in the room. There is ivy growing up the hotel in some places which attracts insects etc so we left the window firmly closed. The TV was rubbish but we weren't in the room much so that wasn't too much of an issue. Room had iron and ironing board, comfy bed, nice bathroom, hairdryer. Due to the weather, we decided to stay in the hotel that evening and booked the restaurant for our 3-course dinner. The food was really good, restaurant staff friendly and a nice atmosphere. Breakfast was also good, plenty of choice and good quality. The cream tea that we decided to have on the Saturday evening was good as well. We added sandwiches to ours to make a decent evening meal. All in all, a reasonable stay. The hotel looks a bit 'tired' in places and could do with a bit of a facelift and a really good clean (carpets, upholstery etc in the public areas are a bit jaded). I don't think I would choose to stay here again if I was in the Cambridge area but I would definitely use the restaurant again as a non-hotel guest.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor on the opposite side to the busy roundabout. Some of the carpets...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Essex
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My husband & I got a great deal through 'Living Social' (£159 for 2 nights B&B & a 3 course meal on one evening) and my review reflects this. If I had paid full price I would have given 2 stars.
Positives:
The standard room was spacious, with a desk area & a chair / little table by the window. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet which included a full English breakfast, pastries, yoghurt, fresh & dried fruit & juices. Part of the purpose of my stay was to relax in the pool, jacuzzi, sauna & steam room and I wasn't disappointed. The swimming pool was a good size & temperature and the facilities were clean. As part of our package we enjoyed a 3 course evening meal. The waiting staff were friendly, professional with just the right level of attentiveness. There were a couple of vegetarian options for both the starter & main course plus some delicious dessert options.

Negatives:
The hotel boasts free Wi-Fi but we didn't get a connection during our stay. I tried to access it at different locations of the hotel (including reception) but to no avail. I was also unable to get a 3G connection at the hotel. As our trip was for rest & relaxation, the lack of connectivity wasn't a big issue. If I was staying here on business it would have been a major inconvenience.
The bathroom is functional but in need of an upgrade. The fixtures are looking worn and the seal around the bath needs replacing. I was surprised to see a shower curtain instead of a screen. I've never stayed at a 4 star hotel with a shower curtain, I find them unhygienic.
In total contrast to the waiting staff at dinner I was disappointed by the breakfast staff, with the exception of the maître d' (who was always cheerful). Upon being seated for breakfast we were told a waitress would be along shortly to serve tea/coffee. Well, we both had two servings of breakfast & waited patiently for our coffee. After 5 minutes, I asked a waitress for our coffee & I was told it was being made. Another 5 minutes passed during which I witnessed other diners receiving coffee refills. Finally, the coffee arrived, by which time we had finished our breakfasts! The waitress wasn't at all apologetic & barely managed a smile, I've never experienced this at a 4 star hotel before. All the waiting staff at breakfast looked unhappy to be there. If I'd paid full price to stay here, I definitely would have taken this further at the time.
Our stay was great value but I wouldn't stay here if I had to pay full price.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

my fiancé and I booked this hotel for the facilities and relatively good price. Upon arrival at 2 standard check in time In most hotels we were told by a short brown haired with glasses receptionist to come back at half 2 which was fine. We went to the bar brought 4 overpriced drinks (as you expect in hotels) and returned at 2:40 to be then told "I said after 2:30" in a very dismissive and rude way which was irritating. Then ensued an awkward standoff I then said "we will be over there" thankfully there were some chairs at reception. We sat down for 15 mins before our room was ready and were eventually checked in at 3. Another couple got the exact same treatment from the receptionist who was obviously on great form... To be honest I am disgusted a hotel would have someone like that at front of house. The breakfast lunch and dinner staff were lovely as was the receptionist that checked us out; but must stay our stay had a sour note because of the receptionist. We were looking for a base as we are getting married in Cambridge and would have been good to find a hotel to frequent as we come up to finalise plans but don't think due to our treatment that Menzies is the right place!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NAT J
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Easy to find with ample parking. No AC in bedrooms. Was there last week when it was very hot and as windows only open a crack (I know for safety) the room was stifling. Road noise is awful so sleep was difficult as we couldn't shut the window due to the heat. Bathrooms small but adequate for a short stay. Cleanliness of the toilet rim was awful which could be seen from the mirrored wall over the bath (no I didn't bend down to look at the bowl), room 191 if the staff have a look. Breakfast was a bit of a shambles. Hotel was full but when the chef came out with a tray of eggs and said we should only have one as he couldn't cook them fast enough I was a bit taken aback. Plenty of other food though. Had to ask for coffee each time as nobody ever came to the table. Fire doors in the corridors bang shut at 11pm. We didn't know that. Hubby got through before they shut but as started to go though they closed catching my arm which I couldn't move out of the way quick enough. Manager very apologetic. There is a sign saying the doors close automatically but does not say when! Golf course is beautiful which is what we were there for.

Room Tip: Away from the main road
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
dunedin
Reviewed 5 August 2014

There was no air conditioning and they missed out on all the small touches you expect from a 4 star property. Wifi worked very intermittently at best- we kept on getting logged off and had difficulty logging back on. The shower over the bath was slippery. Good parking and easy to find.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#14 of 36 in Cambridge
Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Been to Hallmark Hotel Cambridge? Share your experiences!