“Great value for money”

Hallmark Hotel Cambridge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bar Hill
Reviewed 2 May 2010

We searched for ages to find a hotel at a reasonable price in the Cambridge area as we were going to an event on the Saturday night in Cambridge centre. When we came across this hotel on lastminute.com at £160 for two nights bed and breakfast plus an evening meal on one night it seemed too good to be true. However it was great value for money. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast was reasonable although it was buffet style. We used the pool/sauna/jacuzzi and they were all quiet! The only negative was the location but this was expected. We did however discover that there was a bus stop just 2 minutes walk from the hotel and so used this as it was a frequent service into the city.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DLF12
Hotelmgr1, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2010

I'm pleased you chose the hotel for your short break and took advantage of our superb value 2 night package. Thank you for leaving your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Many thanks

Reviewed 9 April 2010

We have wanted to see the historic sites of Cambridge and our family gave us a gift of a weekend away for our 40th wedding anniversary staying in the hotel for the weekend. The family joined us on the Sunday and we had a great lunch together in the hotel restaurant. The staff set the dining table with celebratory decorations making it special to mark our anniversary. The staff were very attentive without being intrusive making the whole visit most enjoyable. Without hesitation we would highly rate this hotel.
Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

We are pleased that you chose the hotel for your special birthday celebrations. Thank you for leaving your review and I'm glad that you all had such a fantastic family lunch.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Regards

Reviewed 25 March 2010

This is the first time we have used this venue for seminars for our clients. The service we received was both professional and excellent with none of the offhand responses that one sadly comes across all to often with conference venues.
Highly recommended for training providers in a good location without the hassle one normally associated with Cambridge
Ken Gurr
Education Director
The Learn Centre
(Payroll Solutions (UK)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank trainerbanbury

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review of your recent seminar with us. I'm pleased you found the venue to your liking and I have passed on your kind comments regarding the dedicated conference team who looked after you so well.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Regards

Reviewed 15 March 2010

Previous reviews were very off-putting for this hotel but we took advantage of a 2 nights b&b with 1 nights dinner and were very glad we did.
Whilst some of the hotel needs refurbishment (a programme is in hand for 2011) the friendly staff and willingness to help exceeds many places we have visited. We are regular travellers and cruise 5/6 star ships and are used to good service and this hotel excelled. It was also very clean (a lot of high rating hotels are not). Indeed we were so impressed with the hotel staff and service we asked to see the manager to tell him.
We paid the extra for a deluxe room which was spacious and the bathroom had had some modernisation and had nice towels and a towelling robe. There was complimentary water and twix/pringles. The tea tray had a large kettle and a note that fresh milk was available on request. There is no minibar/fridge.
The meal in the restaurant was OK as was the breakfast. All served by pleasant staff, quickly and with a smile.
So although the hotel needs a refurbishment, the staff do not! Try it. It is very good value.

1  Thank piscean_10
Menzies1974, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2010

Thank you for completing a review after your recent stay and I was delighted to note that in general everything was to your expectations. It was nice to hear that the staff excelled and I assure you we will be sharing your comments with them.

I do hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back at some stage in the future and please ask me personally so that I may introduce myself to you and ensure everything is to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 10 March 2010

Very friendly reception staff & leisure club staff. Those were the positives
Bar staff were awful - ordered two meals at the same time; one came and ten minutes later mine had still not appeared. Asked the waiter (no name badge) where my food was and he claimed we had only ordered one meal! So i ordered it again. Waited and waited. With no update asked the waiter again; he claimed we had not ordered it again! Asked to speak to the manager- waste of time and kept reiterating that the kitchen was busy. I was not interested- the issue was the fact that my order had not been processed twice. So, ordered it a third time and told him i was not paying for it. He did not see why- how about having to order the meal three times!!!! Every time I asked for no mayo when it finally arrived yes, it had mayo!
Others in the bar had issues with the staff and several asked not to pay for the meals.
Terrible and the attitude of the staff was that the customer was unreasonable.
For the experience of the bar I will not stay in a Menzies hotel again - they want to be a Holiday Inn for business travellers and they are so nearly there; improve the bar staff and provide newspapers and they would be on a par.
Again, reception staff on check out polite and chatty. They apologized for the experience in the bar!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for completing a review on Trip Advisor and I was sorry to read your experience in the bar for which I apologise. Due to it being a Champions league football night there were up to 20 bar meals ordered within half an hour on top of the restaurant orders at the same time which caused delays, however this should have been explained to you inadvance.

Please be ensured that your experience is not reflective of the normal levels of customer satisfaction that we aim to achieve at Menzies Hotels and I am sorry we did not meet with your expectations on thsi occasion. I do hope you will consider and with this in mind if you do have an accomodation requirement in the cambridge area please contact me directly and I will be delighted to oversee your reservation and ensure complete satisfaction

Reviewed 7 March 2010

The web site states that the hotel is in an idyllic setting - if your idea of an idyllic setting is 50m away from a motorway, you're in for a treat!

We stayed in an Executive Room, which was a good size. However, all of the Exec Rooms are in the wing of the hotel closest to the A14/M11, so don't expect a quiet room! The contemporary decor that we were expecting (as stated on website) obviously did not apply to the Exec rooms either... We stayed in a 3* Holiday Inn recently (with very good service and facilities), and I really struggled to find the difference (or where the extra star came from!)

The location, whilst it was noisy, was handy for Cambridge - within 15 minutes, we were in the centre. I would recommend getting a bus as parking wasn't particularly easy or affordable.

The pool was a good size; a bit tatty in places (tiles falling off etc), but it was ok...

One of the nights we stayed, we decided to eat at the restaurant (we thought dinner in a 4* hotel would be a treat for our Wedding Anniversary). The food was appalling. The "freshly prepared" Leek & Potato soup that we ordered tasted supsiciously like Mushroom, and had a thick skin on the top which indicated that it had been standing under a heater for a while... the Cumberland Sausage was swimming in oil... the Fish & Chips were terrible... both main courses were soggy like they had also been stood under heaters for ages... the puddings were also bland and tasted of nothing. At £24.95pp, it should have been SO much better. Thankfully, we were staying DBB, and only paid £20 extra for the "privilege" (rather than the £50 if we'd have been B&B) - the menu was very gastropub, but was no-where near up to gastropub standards.

The reception staff were smiley and helpful; which is more can be said for some of the restaurant staff. The service was not 4* standard - some of the waiting staff behaved like they were being inconvenienced with our requests! More toast? More tea?! What were we thinking?!

In short - this hotel was not up to standard. We will not be going back to this hotel - although we loved Cambridge, so will be finding a better hotel for our next visit. I suspect that won't be difficult!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for completing a review on Trip Advisor and I was sorry to read we failed to meet your expectations and first and foremost please accept my sincerest apologies.

The hotel did undergo a complete refit in 2006 that included the public areas and some of the standard rooms. I was sorry that you did not manage to speak to a senior manager at the hotel during your stay who may have been able to deal with a number of issues you experienced.

Noting that you are going to visit Cambridge at some stage in the future I do hope you will consider giving us a second chance and would ask that you contact me directly so that I may personally oversee your booking and also meet with you to ensure everything is to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 5 March 2010

We could not fault the hotel or staff. We had our wedding at the hotel in February and stayed for 2 nights. We can't thank the staff enough for being so attentive and helpful and making our wedding very special, especially Shelley and Rob. The food in the restaurant and at the wedding couldn't be faulted. Our guests are still talking about impressed they were with the service and the food. We were constantly being asked if everything was ok and if they could do more us. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Newlywed12-2

Thank you for completing a review on Trip Advisor in respect of your wedding at the hotel and I was delighted to note that you and your guests had an enjoyable time. It is indeed satisfying to see complimentary remarks in respect of key members of staff at the hotel and I assure you that your review has been shared with them.

On behalf of the management team and staff we wish you all the best for the future and If I can be of any further assistance moving forward please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bar Hill
#9 of 36 in Cambridge
The Gonville Hotel
The Gonville Hotel
#2 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to Hallmark Hotel Cambridge? Share your experiences!