I booked a night here before walking along High Force and the Pennine Way. We arrived around 7.30 and found there was plenty of space in the car park behind the main building.
The staff were friendly and because we were a little later than expected the lady allowed us to delay our reservation to give us time to freshen up.
We stayed in one of the courtyard rooms. Lovely room, nice and tidy. The welcome guide for guests has thought of every question you could possibly think of and is written in a really friendly style and caters for walkers particularly well.
Before eating we enjoyed an apertif in the quiet backroom which has various games to keep you entertained if you wish. While we were there, there was a nice couple playing scrabble and there was a lovely relaxed atmosphere.
When we went through to the restaurant we were sat quite close to the door and I think if I was to return I'd ask to be seated a bit further into the main restaurant room for a better ambiance.
The food was the main reason for choosing the Rose & Crown and it didn't disappoint. I had the crab and prawn bon bons which which were lovely, followed by the pigeon from the chef's special which came with very tasty game crisps. For desert I had the treacle tart with hazelnut praline which was gorgeous.
The wine list is also very good and reasonable and we had to hold back from having a 2nd bottle, not wanting to ruin the walk the next day!
We slept really well although it should be noted that if you're staying in a courtyard room you might hear the sounds of people coming and going in the morning. I didn't mind it at all but if some people are wanting a lie in it might be something to bear in mind.
Breakfast in the morning was served in the restaurant and was also good.
All in all we had a lovely time here and I would recommend it to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A delightful 18th century inn located in the picturesque dales village of Romaldkirk amidst unspoilt countryside. This award winning 3 AA red star hotel offers charm and character with a cosy bar, relaxing lounge and beautifully appointed bedrooms. Guest can dine in the 2AA rosette oak panelled restaurant or more informally in the bar. The service is professional yet friendly and the surrounding area offers excellent walking routes, attractions and market towns. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your The Rose & Crown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Rose & Crown Hotel Romaldkirk
- The Rose And Crown
- Rose Crown Barnard Castle
- The Rose & Crown Romaldkirk, Durham