We arrived midweek just after 9pm, amidst pouring rain, with a large hairy dog, we were all made very welcome and shown to our room which was large and overlooked the green at the front. It was lovely walking into our room, some lamps were on and there was classical music playing, giving a very welcoming and cosy feeling. A welcome note for our dog was on the bed along with some locally made dog biscuits, towels for her were on offer too. We went straight down to have some supper in the bar where Zampa was allowed to join us, a table had been reserved for us in front of a lovely log fire, Zampa quickly became the resident hearth rug! Our supper was delicious, and, for us, a perfectly sized portion. The staff were very friendly and helpful.
There was a well equipped tea tray complete with teapot & cafetiere, fresh milk available if requested. The bathroom was very spacious too and the shower worked perfectly.
The breakfast was also delicious, with plenty of choice & fresh produce.
In the folder in the bedroom there were some suggestions for local walks which proved very useful. After we had left, the hotel rang my partner to let him know we'd left something behind in the room, we feel confident we will soon be reunited with our 'lost' item.
We would not hesitate in recommending The Rose & Crown to friends & family, it's not cheap but you get what you pay for!
I haven't given an excellent rating for service as perhaps we could have been offered help with moving our luggage to & from the room, I'm not complaining, we were happy to do this, the staff may have offered when we first went in but not later on when we did move our luggage after supper. Also despite just being a few feet from the bar we felt we should go to the bar to order drinks, sometimes it's nice to be offered further drinks at the table. The staff were, I reiterate, lovely, friendly & helpful.
I also haven't given an excellent rating for the sleep quality as I found it very hot during the night, again I'm not complaining as I'd rather be too warm than cold.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A delightful 18th century inn located in the picturesque dales village of Romaldkirk amidst unspoilt countryside. This award winning 3 AA red star hotel offers charm and character with a cosy bar, relaxing lounge and beautifully appointed bedrooms. Guest can dine in the 2AA rosette oak panelled restaurant or more informally in the bar. The service is professional yet friendly and the surrounding area offers excellent walking routes, attractions and market towns. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, LateRooms and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Rose & Crown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Rose & Crown Hotel Romaldkirk
- The Rose And Crown
- Rose Crown Barnard Castle
- The Rose & Crown Romaldkirk, Durham