“Brief encounter”
Review of The Rose & Crown

The Rose & Crown
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Romaldkirk
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We arrived midweek just after 9pm, amidst pouring rain, with a large hairy dog, we were all made very welcome and shown to our room which was large and overlooked the green at the front. It was lovely walking into our room, some lamps were on and there was classical music playing, giving a very welcoming and cosy feeling. A welcome note for our dog was on the bed along with some locally made dog biscuits, towels for her were on offer too. We went straight down to have some supper in the bar where Zampa was allowed to join us, a table had been reserved for us in front of a lovely log fire, Zampa quickly became the resident hearth rug! Our supper was delicious, and, for us, a perfectly sized portion. The staff were very friendly and helpful.
There was a well equipped tea tray complete with teapot & cafetiere, fresh milk available if requested. The bathroom was very spacious too and the shower worked perfectly.
The breakfast was also delicious, with plenty of choice & fresh produce.
In the folder in the bedroom there were some suggestions for local walks which proved very useful. After we had left, the hotel rang my partner to let him know we'd left something behind in the room, we feel confident we will soon be reunited with our 'lost' item.
We would not hesitate in recommending The Rose & Crown to friends & family, it's not cheap but you get what you pay for!
I haven't given an excellent rating for service as perhaps we could have been offered help with moving our luggage to & from the room, I'm not complaining, we were happy to do this, the staff may have offered when we first went in but not later on when we did move our luggage after supper. Also despite just being a few feet from the bar we felt we should go to the bar to order drinks, sometimes it's nice to be offered further drinks at the table. The staff were, I reiterate, lovely, friendly & helpful.
I also haven't given an excellent rating for the sleep quality as I found it very hot during the night, again I'm not complaining as I'd rather be too warm than cold.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
TGJR, Owner at The Rose & Crown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay. I am delighted that you, your partner and Zampa enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully you will be returning again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Had lunch in the bistro as the bar was busy. A perfectly acceptable lunch as we expected it would be. The staff were friendly and food quality was good although it is certainly not the cheapest place to eat in the locality.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
TGJR, Owner at The Rose & Crown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

I am pleased to read that your lunch was enjoyable and up to expectations. As you are no doubt aware, good quality local ingredients are not the cheapest but we are committed to this ethos and still believe that we offer decent value. Thank you.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My family and I gathered here for sunday lunch and we were welcomed by lovely happy friendly staff who were professional and attentive but not invasive , we had not visited to dine here since the new owners took over and we were all delighted with the service and dining experience , we spent all afternoon there having a long leisurely lunch , we weren't rushed out as soon as we had finished nor were we rushed Inbetween courses there was a nice gap between each the food was lovely my cousin and I loved the fig and walnut salad we had as a starter very good quality ingredients used , a few had the beef as their main and commented on the quality cut and taste of the beef , there was plenty of veg and broccoli was done to perfection aldente not boiled to oblivion , my aunt and I had the salmon and it was perfectly cooked. A few of us had the cheeseboard to finish off our meal and it was great to see local cheeses the white hilton was lovely . Coffee and mints followed with the staff providing 3 large coffee pots so everyone could have a couple of cups which was fab for us coffee drinkers.
We had such a lovely dining experience that we will all be back soon

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your lunch with us and thank you for the kind comments. We aim to offer good food in a relaxed environment so it is good to see that we are actually delivering that to the customer. Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I booked a night here before walking along High Force and the Pennine Way. We arrived around 7.30 and found there was plenty of space in the car park behind the main building.

The staff were friendly and because we were a little later than expected the lady allowed us to delay our reservation to give us time to freshen up.

We stayed in one of the courtyard rooms. Lovely room, nice and tidy. The welcome guide for guests has thought of every question you could possibly think of and is written in a really friendly style and caters for walkers particularly well.

Before eating we enjoyed an apertif in the quiet backroom which has various games to keep you entertained if you wish. While we were there, there was a nice couple playing scrabble and there was a lovely relaxed atmosphere.

When we went through to the restaurant we were sat quite close to the door and I think if I was to return I'd ask to be seated a bit further into the main restaurant room for a better ambiance.

The food was the main reason for choosing the Rose & Crown and it didn't disappoint. I had the crab and prawn bon bons which which were lovely, followed by the pigeon from the chef's special which came with very tasty game crisps. For desert I had the treacle tart with hazelnut praline which was gorgeous.

The wine list is also very good and reasonable and we had to hold back from having a 2nd bottle, not wanting to ruin the walk the next day!

We slept really well although it should be noted that if you're staying in a courtyard room you might hear the sounds of people coming and going in the morning. I didn't mind it at all but if some people are wanting a lie in it might be something to bear in mind.

Breakfast in the morning was served in the restaurant and was also good.

All in all we had a lovely time here and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
TGJR, Owner at The Rose & Crown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Teesdale is a fabulous place for walking and I am delighted that we provided you with an enjoyable overnight stay during your trip. I hope that the walk went well and it was clear enough to enjoy the beautiful scenery. Thank you for your kind comments which are much appreciated by the whole team.

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I met up with family and friends for a big long Sunday lunch which was amazing! A separate room was arranged and it was very well organised.the staff were extremely polite and helpful and nothing was too much trouble! The beverages and food were superb !

If your in the area it's well worth a visit! Highly recommended well done

• Stayed: November 2013
TGJR, Owner at The Rose & Crown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Delighted to read that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch experience and your kind feedback regarding the food and service is much appreciated.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Just returned from a delightful stay at the Rose and Crown. The accommodation is superb, the staff are a delight. Very friendly and know how to make a customer welcome. The food was stunning. Wish my stay could have been a little longer. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
TGJR, Owner at The Rose & Crown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Thank you very much for your kind comments and it is great to hear that you enjoyed what we offer and will be coming back. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Attracted by its two AA rosettes for cuisine, my wife and I booked a night at the Rose & Crown as a break on our journey north. On arrival, we had an excellent welcome from the charming receptionist, greatly helped by the news that we had been upgraded to a suite. This accommodation is quite superb in a quirky way and exceeded expectations. The rooms in our suite were all well-sized and equipped with everything which might be required. And everything worked!

With dinner booked in the restaurant (the main point of the visit) we were seated in the bar for pre-dinner drinks and the dinner menus and wine-list arrived promptly. Service at the Rose and Crown is excellent and continued thus throughout our stay.

In good time we were shown through to the characterful dining room which eventually was about 80% full. Starters and pre-ordered wine arrived as requested. Sadly, at this point, standards began to slip and the kitchen was not performing to two rosette standard. A number of irritations crept in; a crab soufflé was served roasting hot and singed on top - it sat on a totally singed base and had clearly been carelessly treated while heating. The soufflé was flavoursome but a lot less than perfect. Slow roasted pork belly, which should have been unctuous and moist was dry and must have been kept hot for a long time prior to serving. It's fair to say that the desserts were a triumph and up to the standard expected. Service was excellent throughout - efficient and friendly.

So why only three stars? This is a hotel which claims excellent cuisine on the basis of its two AA rosettes for food. On our visit, on a Tuesday evening, the kitchen was not performing to this standard.

We did comment on this disappointment to reception on leaving and it was promised that the criticism would be passed on to the kitchen. I hope it has the effect of encouraging higher standards in what could be an excellent dining experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gorbscot
TGJR, Owner at The Rose & Crown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Glad to read that you enjoyed the accommodation and service but sorry that you did not think that the food met expectations. The food normally is and always should be a highlight of a visit to the R&C and as you had already made us aware at check-out this has been addressed and was hopefully just a one-off glitch for which we apologise.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Romaldkirk
Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Brunswick House
Brunswick House
#2 of 3 in Middleton in Teesdale

Been to The Rose & Crown? Share your experiences!