“Warm Welcome in Quintessential English Village”
Review of The Rose & Crown

The Rose & Crown
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Romaldkirk
Tarleton, United Kingdom
“Warm Welcome in Quintessential English Village”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just returned from our 2nd visit to the Rose & Crown and we weren't disappointed.

The location is great, easily accessible from many areas in England & Scotland, with a great location opposite the Village Green and next to the Church.

Our room was in the courtyard and had everything you needed and we enjoyed watching the DVD from a mid 1970's ITV Documentary on the Village. If we visit again we will need to try one of the rooms in the main building.

The Guest Wine was an excellent Chilean Red which we enjoyed in the snug bar and during our meal in the restaurant. Highlight of the meal for me was the Venison Main Course, Loin of Venison and a Mini Venison & Mushroom Pie. While it didn't impact on our evening a few dishes started to drop off the menu as orders were taken and I suspect it might have been menu change over time, hence lower supplies. Only other comment on the menu is from my wife who thought that Fish dishes were perhaps too prominent - I think there were 3 Fish Mains, 2 Meat Mains and 1 Vegetarian Option.

All of the staff we encountered were friendly and professional.

Highly recommended.

TGJR, Owner at The Rose & Crown, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Many thanks for your kind review and it is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased that you found time to watch the DVD of Romaldkirk in the early 1970's which is an interesting insight in to the history of the village. Please do come again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
lincoln
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We had booked for a birthday celebration and had a wonderful time. Our room was gorgeous, beautifully decorated and huge, the bed was so comfortable, the staff were professional and friendly, the food was super in the bar and the restaurant and our dog was welcomed everywhere. We didn't need to move the car all the time we were there, we went on long walks from Romaldkirk, which is small but beautifully formed and just relaxed!

Room Tip: Ask the staff when you book for a view at the front of the hotel
TGJR, Owner at The Rose & Crown, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
I am delighted that you had an enjoyable birthday celebration with us and that your dog was made to feel welcome and you all took advantage of the lovely walks in the area. Hope to see you back again soon. Thank you.
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We arrived midweek just after 9pm, amidst pouring rain, with a large hairy dog, we were all made very welcome and shown to our room which was large and overlooked the green at the front. It was lovely walking into our room, some lamps were on and there was classical music playing, giving a very welcoming and cosy feeling. A welcome note for our dog was on the bed along with some locally made dog biscuits, towels for her were on offer too. We went straight down to have some supper in the bar where Zampa was allowed to join us, a table had been reserved for us in front of a lovely log fire, Zampa quickly became the resident hearth rug! Our supper was delicious, and, for us, a perfectly sized portion. The staff were very friendly and helpful.
There was a well equipped tea tray complete with teapot & cafetiere, fresh milk available if requested. The bathroom was very spacious too and the shower worked perfectly.
The breakfast was also delicious, with plenty of choice & fresh produce.
In the folder in the bedroom there were some suggestions for local walks which proved very useful. After we had left, the hotel rang my partner to let him know we'd left something behind in the room, we feel confident we will soon be reunited with our 'lost' item.
We would not hesitate in recommending The Rose & Crown to friends & family, it's not cheap but you get what you pay for!
I haven't given an excellent rating for service as perhaps we could have been offered help with moving our luggage to & from the room, I'm not complaining, we were happy to do this, the staff may have offered when we first went in but not later on when we did move our luggage after supper. Also despite just being a few feet from the bar we felt we should go to the bar to order drinks, sometimes it's nice to be offered further drinks at the table. The staff were, I reiterate, lovely, friendly & helpful.
I also haven't given an excellent rating for the sleep quality as I found it very hot during the night, again I'm not complaining as I'd rather be too warm than cold.

TGJR, Owner at The Rose & Crown, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay. I am delighted that you, your partner and Zampa enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully you will be returning again in the not too distant future.
Durham
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Had lunch in the bistro as the bar was busy. A perfectly acceptable lunch as we expected it would be. The staff were friendly and food quality was good although it is certainly not the cheapest place to eat in the locality.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
TGJR, Owner at The Rose & Crown, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
I am pleased to read that your lunch was enjoyable and up to expectations. As you are no doubt aware, good quality local ingredients are not the cheapest but we are committed to this ethos and still believe that we offer decent value. Thank you.
durham
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

My family and I gathered here for sunday lunch and we were welcomed by lovely happy friendly staff who were professional and attentive but not invasive , we had not visited to dine here since the new owners took over and we were all delighted with the service and dining experience , we spent all afternoon there having a long leisurely lunch , we weren't rushed out as soon as we had finished nor were we rushed Inbetween courses there was a nice gap between each the food was lovely my cousin and I loved the fig and walnut salad we had as a starter very good quality ingredients used , a few had the beef as their main and commented on the quality cut and taste of the beef , there was plenty of veg and broccoli was done to perfection aldente not boiled to oblivion , my aunt and I had the salmon and it was perfectly cooked. A few of us had the cheeseboard to finish off our meal and it was great to see local cheeses the white hilton was lovely . Coffee and mints followed with the staff providing 3 large coffee pots so everyone could have a couple of cups which was fab for us coffee drinkers.
We had such a lovely dining experience that we will all be back soon

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
TGJR, Owner at The Rose & Crown, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your lunch with us and thank you for the kind comments. We aim to offer good food in a relaxed environment so it is good to see that we are actually delivering that to the customer. Look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I booked a night here before walking along High Force and the Pennine Way. We arrived around 7.30 and found there was plenty of space in the car park behind the main building.

The staff were friendly and because we were a little later than expected the lady allowed us to delay our reservation to give us time to freshen up.

We stayed in one of the courtyard rooms. Lovely room, nice and tidy. The welcome guide for guests has thought of every question you could possibly think of and is written in a really friendly style and caters for walkers particularly well.

Before eating we enjoyed an apertif in the quiet backroom which has various games to keep you entertained if you wish. While we were there, there was a nice couple playing scrabble and there was a lovely relaxed atmosphere.

When we went through to the restaurant we were sat quite close to the door and I think if I was to return I'd ask to be seated a bit further into the main restaurant room for a better ambiance.

The food was the main reason for choosing the Rose & Crown and it didn't disappoint. I had the crab and prawn bon bons which which were lovely, followed by the pigeon from the chef's special which came with very tasty game crisps. For desert I had the treacle tart with hazelnut praline which was gorgeous.

The wine list is also very good and reasonable and we had to hold back from having a 2nd bottle, not wanting to ruin the walk the next day!

We slept really well although it should be noted that if you're staying in a courtyard room you might hear the sounds of people coming and going in the morning. I didn't mind it at all but if some people are wanting a lie in it might be something to bear in mind.

Breakfast in the morning was served in the restaurant and was also good.

All in all we had a lovely time here and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
TGJR, Owner at The Rose & Crown, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Teesdale is a fabulous place for walking and I am delighted that we provided you with an enjoyable overnight stay during your trip. I hope that the walk went well and it was clear enough to enjoy the beautiful scenery. Thank you for your kind comments which are much appreciated by the whole team.
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I met up with family and friends for a big long Sunday lunch which was amazing! A separate room was arranged and it was very well organised.the staff were extremely polite and helpful and nothing was too much trouble! The beverages and food were superb !

If your in the area it's well worth a visit! Highly recommended well done

• Stayed November 2013
TGJR, Owner at The Rose & Crown, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Delighted to read that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch experience and your kind feedback regarding the food and service is much appreciated.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Romaldkirk
Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
Jersey Farm
Jersey Farm
#1 of 1 in Barnard Castle
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to The Rose & Crown? Share your experiences!