“Spectacular views, excellent hosts, home from home”
Review of Le Catalan

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jouques
Le Catalan
Ranked #2 of 5 Jouques B&B and Inns
Broadway, United Kingdom
“Spectacular views, excellent hosts, home from home”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Le Catalan is a lovely country house hotel/guest house, owned and run by Philippe and Mary who were excellent hosts. We stayed in the little cottage which is independent but near the main hotel. The cottage was comfortable and had its own patio dining area. It didn't have a kitchenette or fridge, but guests could use the kitchen facilities in the main hotel. There was a lovely swimming pool overlooking the mountains, a superb position to sunbathe or swim. Breakfasts were very tasty with home made preserves and large mugs of fresh coffee. The hotel was in a superb location, about a kilometre off the road down a track, it was quiet but easily found with a satnav. There was a local bus from the nearby pretty village of Jouques , into Aix Provence, the 30 minute ride cost an magazine one euro. For the ultimate country house hotel experience without being pretentious, this is as good as it gets. Missbrightonrocker

Room Tip: The little cottage is sweet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Nes Ziona Israel
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Catalan is beautiful, calm, charming, facinating... a real Provence countryside with Lavender outside the window, and smells and colours... the rooms are very well furnished and well equiped, wonderful view, excellent breakfast and hospitality by the owners. They made all efforts to make our holiday upgraded from really good to excellent.
Thank you, we promise to return.

Room Tip: we had the red room and it was perfect , but we do not think there is a big difference between the r...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I was set on spending our 5 days in the South of France in the Provence region so we'd get to see the stunning lavender fields. When I read the raving reviews of Le Catalan online, it was an easy decision on where to stay. Le Catalan is located in a quiet little town, out of the way of the big cities. We used Le Catalan as a base to explore the Provence region and Cote d'Azur. The house is located on a beautiful farm and the house itself is breathtaking - if you're after the iconic French countryside experience, this is it! We enjoyed a beautiful, fresh breakfast every morning on the Terasse overlooking the fields. Our room was spacious, cool and had a beautiful view out the window. Le Catalan is beautiful in itself but the experience is made that much better by the incredible hospitality of Magalie and Phillipe. They are generous, caring and very relaxed. When we arrived at Le Catalan, we were at the stage of our trip where we'd run out of clean clothing. Magalie didn't bat an eyelid before offering us the use of her personal washing machine and clothes line. She even offered to do it for us (we wouldn't let her!). Magalie was happy to suggest sights and activities and also more than happy to leave you to spend your day relaxing around the property or by the private pool. Upon leaving Le Catalan, Magalie gifted me a small bottle of lavender oil produced on the farm - a present I will always treasure. I cannot recommend Le Catalan enough and I can't wait to go back to France to visit the lovely couple. Thank you very much for such a memorable time!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

I booked this place at relatively short notice, having seen it feature quite high on places to stay in the Aix general area.

Given the small number of (admittedly excellent) reviews and my preference of not staying in smaller hotels/accommodation (have found a number to be a little suffocating), I felt like I was taking a bit of a chance.

But as soon as I arrived any doubts were dispelled by the sheer beauty of the place and the house. The guest house is situated outside the village of Jouques, about a 30min drive from Aix. It is in a rather isolated area but therein lies its beauty - you really feel relaxed and removed from things, even your phone reception struggles. With today's modern communications etc it's rare that you really feel like you're away from things, here you do. And not in a bad way - while rural in location it is perfectly situated to explore Provence, the Riviera and Languedoc regions by car. Aix and its plentiful restaurants, cafes and markets are easily accessible.

The hosts are very kind and helpful. While making absolutely every effort to extend a warm accuel/welcome and assist your trip, they do not make you feel like you are imposing and give you lots of space - something quite rare in smaller hotels/accommodation I have stayed in.

I was travelling alone and my room for a mere €65 a night was more of a suite and was extremely comfortable, cool, spacious and tastefully decorated. I could see lavender fields from my window and a mountain range on the horizon. Breakfast is included and is served on the terrace with the same stunning environs. There is also a swimming pool.

So, as someone who normally prefers city surroundings and larger anonymous accommodation options, this was a truly refreshing change.

I often read reviews on Trip Advisor about how people love to come and stay in the same place year in year out, something which just doesn't appeal to me at all. However the time when I do return to the south of France I have every intention of coming back here so I can share the experience with my girlfriend.

Magdalie, the kind host, remarked that I was one of a few English speaking guests to stay here, I would not be surprised if more UK/Rep of Ireland based people consider this place.

Thanks!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank MTC555
Rehovot, Israel
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed in Le Catalan from June 23 for 3 nights. Located in a quite country side, surrounded by trees and lavender fields, yet close to the main attractions in Provence we found the perfect place to stay. The rooms were nice, clean and spacious, breakfast was great and the hospitality was vey welcoming and warm. The owners did everything to make us feel comfortable and at home. We all loved the place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chaim A
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I could write a review about how wonderful the Le Catalan as a property is, but there are many beautiful properties in the world to choose from. What makes Le Catalan such a pleasure to be at are it's owners. You will not meet more genuinely caring, generous and relaxed people. I will be staying there again this summer and look forward to it very much.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank 6Magpies
Oxford
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Ok a little review for les anglais out there. If your french is half decent you will get the gist of people's reaction to this place. It's as beautiful as they say it is! Gorgeous rooms, clean, big, with a lovely rustic charm, the whole house has a wonderful warm farmhouse feel to it. A friend and I stayed here on a little tour of Provence and we were greeted after a long day travelling by a friendly dog and the two owners Phillipe and Magalie who were brilliant. Laid-back, smiley and accommodating. Breakfast on the terrace over looking the lavender fields was a particular highlight. Lovely little pool for an afternoon dip too.You can use their kitchen to knock up lunch or dinner or find somewhere nearby in Jouques - although you'll need to book as there are only a small selection of places.
Cannot recommend this highly enough - hoping to go back soon.
Allez! Profite de tout! C'est merveilluex!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank cafebum_em
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jouques
Hostellerie de l'Esplanade
#3 of 6 in Pertuis
Villa Gallici
Villa Gallici
#3 of 68 in Aix-en-Provence

Been to Le Catalan? Share your experiences!