“A wonderful week on the Chatham Island”
Review of Hotel Chatham

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chatham Island (Rekohu)
Hotel Chatham
Berlin, Germany
“A wonderful week on the Chatham Island”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed one week in the Beachhouse Backpackers of the Hotel Chatham. The reason for staying in the Beachhouse were amateur radio activities. Therefore the Beachhouse is ideal. The accommodation is well equipped with modern bathroom. We stayed in the double room with a comfortable bed. The house is not far from the beach, you have only to climb the dunes. The views from the dunes and over the beach and the bay are breathtaking.
We went to the restaurant of the Hotel Chatham for dinner via the beach. This takes twenty minutes and is a fantastic walk. The chef of the restaurant does a great job, every dish was delicious, especially our crayfish dinner.
The staff is very friendy and helpful. We hired two day a 4WD for a reasonable price. And it's worth it, the Island is very beautiful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NZ_pingi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful time in the Chathams, the weather was amazing fantastic seafood meals, hotel looked after us so well showing us the Island. Val and Eric made our touring such fun. Fishing wonderful organised by the Hotel. Would recommend anyone who wants a different holiday to go to the Chathams and stay at the Hotel.
Pauline

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pauline M
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I visited this hotel in May 2013, was a place I always wanted to go, The island itself is desolate, unpopulated and untouched, it really felt like a step back in time. It felt like I was in another country.Totally relaxing as there are only apparently 600 residents there. In May tourism is low and often I was the only guest. The staff were great, Val the owner of the hotel met with me to show me ther points of interest on the Island so I could make the most of my 6 days, I was promptly picked up and dropped to the airport by Natasha and Porsha handled the bookings and flights for me so I really didn't have to organise too much. Karen made sure I didn't miss out on meals if I hadn't shown up, and the friendly locals are well worth meeting and having an ale with. Its actually a huge place, you can drive for miles and the roads although unsealed are not that bad. Everything is expensive but you have to expect that, as the islands rely so much on supplies being freighted in. Don't expect entertainment and night life there is only one bar and I was a bit unfortunate to have bad weather for much of my stay, but the scenery is amazing and there are many things to do beside relaxing.

Room Tip: The rooms are quite small but many face the ocean with bay views and they are warm and well equipped
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank OutdoorAdventures_70
Pokeno
Reviewed 8 May 2013

A very well run hotel, friendly and well planned trips around the island to places of interest . We have to mention the tour guide whose knowledge of the islands history, fauna and flora made each outing fascinating. One of the more interesting corners of NZ.
Fishing trip is a must, never knew fishing could be so easy!
The meals excellent; fresh fish as it should be.
We definitely reccomend the hotel and associated trips arranged by the hotel.
Thank you Val, family, and staff.
Bob & Barbara W.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank bob W
Pukekohe
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Our holiday was made even better by being well fed and our room was kept clean and comfortable. Loved being able to sit on the deck and look across the bay and watch the coming and goings of boats. The Chef needs a mention - he prepares everything beautifully and as a non fish eater I appreciated the alternatives. Oh, check his venison out - yum! Our packed lunches were ample and delicious.The fishing day was great, despite my seasickness and the family are enjoying the catch we brought home. Being able to access crayfish was a treat for my husband. If you get the oportunity take a tour and stay here, you won't regret it. Big thanks guys, you made our week memorable - especially with the fine weather! Rachael and Kevin

Room Tip: Downs stairs with the deck
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RachaelHPukekohe
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Thanks to everyone at the hotel who made our holiday such a great one - the staff were all fantastic and really made us welcome. We had a downstairs room, with a great view and could sit outside on the deck and watch the fishing boats coming and going. Room was kept spotlessly clean and bed was really comfortable. Meals fantastic - especially the fish and chips for lunch after our mornings fishing trip. Everyone we met was just so friendly and helpful and every day was full with interesting excursions. Would definitely stay at Hotel Chathams again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Barbdave44
Warkworth, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 February 2013

A great big Thank you for your friendly hospitality to all the team on the Island, Great weather, great fishing, diving, the seafood is wow, great meals, and great accommadation, what else could we say but thankyou for a full on week. From Barbara & Kevin

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Barbara B

Been to Hotel Chatham? Share your experiences!