“Exceptional Hospitality”
Review of Hotel Chatham

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chatham Island (Rekohu)
Hotel Chatham
Te Anau, New Zealand
“Exceptional Hospitality”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We were on the Inaugural flight from Te Anau direct to the Chatham Islands.
There were 40 people in our group which I understand is the biggest tour party ever to have visited the Island.
I can not find or think of words that would express our well being when we left for home.
Manger Val Croon and his lovely sister Toni, along with their staff have truly left a mark in or memories for ever.
Leaving early in the mornings they guided us to places we could only dream about and upon arrival out would come a fantastic meal from nowhere. Before long we were off to the next place of interest. A visit to Admiral Farm was a special treat. Meals / drinks oh what a time getting back to the Hotel well after dark.
The fishing was superb as were the paua which we caught reaching our limit in short time. The seals, bird life, infact everything was a life time experience.
I reckon we must have travelled in excess of 400 kilometers with a laugh every minute. Toni you are the most.
We would all like to pass on our gratitude for the wonderful hospitality and we are all coming back next year.
We all have two thumbs so here too “80 thumbs up”

Room Tip: We were on the Inaugural flight from Te Anau direct to the Chatham Islands. There were 40 people i...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Te-Anau-Driver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

It isn't every day, we were told, that a Tall Ship turns up out of the blue, with 50 people looking for their last taste of land before setting out for 8 weeks travelling across the South Pacific / Southern Ocean to Cape Horn.

The welcome we received from all the islanders was simply amazing and worth travelling for. However, the team at the hotel were the very best, most friendly people that you could want to meet.

The hotel team noticed our arrival and opened up the bar, made sandwiches, joined in our general fun and then, being one of only two days a year that Chatham Races are held, we all decided to walk over to the racecourse (about 1.5 miles). No chance (in a nice way) Out came the vehicles and trailers and we were whisked across the bay in the back of a pick up truck. I haven't had that much fun since I was a child helping on a farm in northern England.

I could write so much more, but just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone involved. This memory will stay with me for a very long time. And all other welcomes will be measured by this one. Oh, and if the team are reading this, we got safely past Cape Horn on 1st Feb! PS: I hope I can return the hospitality some time, some where.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Having travelled the world and settled back in Nz I’m going to be bias and objective with equal measure
If you want a great place to stay that’s rooms or dining then the Hotel Chatham’s is it.
Val is a great host and is an approachable bloke with all the staff at the hotel such as Karen attentive and professionally proficient from the hotel itself to the Bar.
The island is great to fish, dive, tramp and explore with its rich history and geological make up.
There are plenty of excursions offered such as tours to Pitt.
We stayed a week and loved it…you gotta go too

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are large and the bathrooms are imperious. Fall asleep to the wavelets quietly la...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James R
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I could not recommend the Hotel Chatham any more highly. The accommodation is first class with our room opening right out onto the road across from the beach. It felt like the beach was lapping at our doorstep. The service was personal and amazing. Val (the proprietor) pays every guest personal attention and assisted us to arrange outings that made our stay amazing. We felt like we were welcome guests in someone's home while staying in top notch accommodation. You have to try it to believe it!!

Room Tip: We had a downstairs standard room which was small but way more than adequate. I heard some of the u...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wendy J
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed one week in the Beachhouse Backpackers of the Hotel Chatham. The reason for staying in the Beachhouse were amateur radio activities. Therefore the Beachhouse is ideal. The accommodation is well equipped with modern bathroom. We stayed in the double room with a comfortable bed. The house is not far from the beach, you have only to climb the dunes. The views from the dunes and over the beach and the bay are breathtaking.
We went to the restaurant of the Hotel Chatham for dinner via the beach. This takes twenty minutes and is a fantastic walk. The chef of the restaurant does a great job, every dish was delicious, especially our crayfish dinner.
The staff is very friendy and helpful. We hired two day a 4WD for a reasonable price. And it's worth it, the Island is very beautiful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NZ_pingi
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful time in the Chathams, the weather was amazing fantastic seafood meals, hotel looked after us so well showing us the Island. Val and Eric made our touring such fun. Fishing wonderful organised by the Hotel. Would recommend anyone who wants a different holiday to go to the Chathams and stay at the Hotel.
Pauline

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pauline M
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I visited this hotel in May 2013, was a place I always wanted to go, The island itself is desolate, unpopulated and untouched, it really felt like a step back in time. It felt like I was in another country.Totally relaxing as there are only apparently 600 residents there. In May tourism is low and often I was the only guest. The staff were great, Val the owner of the hotel met with me to show me ther points of interest on the Island so I could make the most of my 6 days, I was promptly picked up and dropped to the airport by Natasha and Porsha handled the bookings and flights for me so I really didn't have to organise too much. Karen made sure I didn't miss out on meals if I hadn't shown up, and the friendly locals are well worth meeting and having an ale with. Its actually a huge place, you can drive for miles and the roads although unsealed are not that bad. Everything is expensive but you have to expect that, as the islands rely so much on supplies being freighted in. Don't expect entertainment and night life there is only one bar and I was a bit unfortunate to have bad weather for much of my stay, but the scenery is amazing and there are many things to do beside relaxing.

Room Tip: The rooms are quite small but many face the ocean with bay views and they are warm and well equipped
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank OutdoorAdventures_70

Been to Hotel Chatham? Share your experiences!