“Question your motives for staying in the Only Hotel in Town” 2 of 5 bubbles

Got a photo?
Add it.
Hotel Thermal du Parc
Eastern Norway, Norway
“Question your motives for staying in the Only Hotel in Town”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I admit it right now: When I come across poor service I am prone to be more outraged and irritated than most. I have worked in the service business, on behalf of the institution I worked for I had to apologise and fix glitches in the product provided repeatedly, without letting the guard down and without changing my smile, I took great pride in providing the service required and expected by my customers, for one significant reason: I believe we are equal, whether we work in the service business or we are paying customers of trade with services. I have no illusions about the difficulty in running a business, it is hard work and is at times demanding and may feel unrewarding. That said, with the most respect I can squeeze out of my weary heart: Please, if you who read my review have anything to do with Hotel Thermal du Parc, meaning no melodrama, just please - consider our plight: For some reason we did not stop at the nearest larger town, we did not go camping in the area, or stay at the Hotel closer to the road to Andorra. We chose to stay at Your Hotel. If I had a Hotel I would put enough of my heart and integrity into it to be able to say I wish it to be your home away from home. If you want to argue there is a price tag attached to that, please do, and be done with it - let it be more expensive if it must, but there are things you need to do first. Being the only Hotel in Ussat les Bains, which has a handful Chambres d´Hotes - which I forthwith will plead my fellow Tripadvisor users to check out while you get things sorted out - has some obligations attached to it. You have, in the case of my stay, fulfilled none of them. But the grievous part is that my stay for just some hours of sleep put a dent in my overall health, fortunately sorted throughout the next few days. You cannot house people in a hotel that is being taken over by mildew, it is way past time that you treated the whole hotel to a thorough rehabilitation, presently it presents a health hazard. I have never had the misfortune to have to stay a night in a place with so many disconcerting smells, and the premises themselves gave me no reason to believe it hallucinatory, because three different fungi is growing over what used to be white painted walls in the stair room. The strong smell of chlorine in the Piscine/ Swimmingpool originates from a reaction with the chemical with a too high concentration of bacteria (check out the quality of the water chemically!). In the bathroom I encountered two distinct subspecies of bedbugs, no idea how they got in there, but I got welts on my back from bites when I woke up the next morning. I have noticed the other reviews and I understand the variety of experience - let us just say I was unlucky with the day, the stay and the room - it is still pause for thought. Clean, Rehabilitate, Sanitize, change service provider for the pools if thats the cause of it - and fumigate against the usually invisible permanent guests (bedbugs).
I also happen to believe that every traveller, every tourist, every visitor, every business is, not as privilege, but as situation - is an exception to the rule. We arrived back at the hotel 5 past 8pm in the evening, quite early, but Ussat les Bains were closing down, lights were dimmed, the only attraction presently were the increasing "romantic" mist of the river running nearby - the bar situated on the other side of the parking lot had closed long time ago, and we were, for some inexplicable reason parched and desperate for a libation - we knew where we would have to lay down and sleep for the night. There is a bar in the area of the reception. Having heard what we wished, the receptionist could inform us that the hotel did not have a license to serve the beverages on display at the open bar after 8pm. After some conversation I was made wise to the fact that this ruling was definite. I have stayed at apartment hotels, they have few hours open facilities, but they do repair that by having vending machines - you have nothing to offer, and neither do Ussat les Bains, after 8pm! I am happy to have cleared up a misunderstanding, a most unfortunate turn of events, and recompensed for the "theft" of a glass of ice-cream at the price of 5 Euro, for which I demanded a receipt - my friend wanted refreshment, I had long ago consigned to try to drink a glass of water (visit Ussat, turn the tap and consider the source of the water that comes out of it - before you judge anyone) - we offered to pay for it in cash, at first, but were told serving also closed at 8pm and no, we could not put it on the room either (I believe the receptionist at the time actually had exceptional english skills, so there was no language barrier at play here), my friend cut through and served himself a scoop of two balls of ice-cream (in the still uncordoned self-serve area), and was told he needed to ask someone in the serving area if he were allowed to do it. Upon returning we bid the young man good night, my friend having secured himself some refreshment. Did I say something about exception? Our only option were to drive for hours until we found a petrol station, I guess its easy to forget how isolated you live/work. I had hardly closed the door before the phone rang: It was not okay to take the ice-cream, nobody had been asked, my presence was wanted at once in the reception. So I took the elevator down and sorted it out. Can´t blame the night receptionist - I realise I should have never booked in your hotel, or trusted the rating of your hotel at 7,3 of 10 (!) - but the attitude towards providing rooms for rent (that´s your stick, close the hotel part and go for Spa, massage, solarium &c if you will, but you are letting Ussat, the entire Ariege, Occitania and France down!) and service cause these reviews. I write this having accepted the bill at nearly 100 Euro for the stay of two persons for one night, sleeping perhaps five hours and having to get anti-allergic medicines and hydrocortisone to treat the bug bites. I am a peaceful, irritable man. If you trap someone (on my way from the South to the North of France scores of biker gangs passed us on their Harleys, think of that) who are not the former, the latter will get you, or rather, since it is the way of the world, your employees. They don´t deserve it. I am afraid the Americans may even sue. I don´t care enough to report your hotel to the French ministry of Tourism, or for that matter Health, but maybe I should. A realtor goes around any place - and when he has excuse to make a substantial list of things that needs to be done with a property he writes "Has Potentional." The Hotel Thermal du Parc has the potential of being the only hotel in Ussat les Bains proper, at least at the moment. The closed down competing "thermal therapy" hotel could be it. What we arrived at were the decaying remains of one, where unfortunately people are allowed to work, and much worse, stay as guests.

Room Tip: Are you kidding?!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank TerjeDB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Indonesian first
Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

this hotel is not what i expected really but it was still functional for my purposes. the rooms are in need of an update, at least mine was. two single beds, one was a bit old and would not have been good to sleep in. lovely view of the mountains in the valley where mist would creep down suddenly and just as suddenly disappear. excellent buffet breakfast, beautiful local peaches, great coffee. huge selection. there are thermal baths there but i didnt use them. one thing i did love was the super clean bathrooms!! they were beautifully cleaned every day.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank bethany2012
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

The hotel is a bit off the beaten track, but not far from interesting sights like the fortress town of Foix, or the caves of Niaux which have spectacular prehistoric paintings. There's a spa, massages, solarium, tennis court, mini-golf range, and above all: lots of quietness.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ornolac-Ussat-les-Bains
Hotel Terranostra
#1 of 4 in Tarascon-sur-Ariege
Hotel Confort
Hotel Confort
#2 of 4 in Tarascon-sur-Ariege

Been to Hotel Thermal du Parc? Share your experiences!