The Carew Arms
  • Breakfast included
New Inn(Taunton)
Apple Tree Hotel(Keenthorne)
View Hotel
All reviewsskittle alleythe pubfor sunday lunchan evening mealroast beefwood burnerquantock hillspuddingwarm welcomecooked to perfectionlocal producefull englishfamily roomcurlewlandladyskittlespint
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Very friendly and welcoming. Dog friendly, both indoors near the bar, and in the garden with wonderful views over the countryside. Quick, attentive service and excellent food. Only complaint: portions so huge, even a big eater like me couldn't manage dessert!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul P
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Really good value for money and the staff were great. If you're looking for a place that has all the modern extras this isn't it, but we had a great night's sleep and breakfast was spot on too. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RosieKAJ
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Excellent lunch last Sunday! Six of us had a very enjoyable meal, which was served extremely promptly. We all had roast beef which was perfectly cooked as were the vegetables which were very tasty! The staff were extremely courteous and friendly and attentive. A lovely meal at a lovely place. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank James S
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Called in for light lunch while in the area and liked the unspoilt character of the pub. Ordered butternut squash soup, which was unlike any butternut soup I have had in the past, being watery with what looked like pieces of carrot floating in it and tasting strongly of curry powder. The baguette seemed to be a part-baked one which had been torn in half and toasted/baked. The young waitress was pleasant but inexperienced and apologised that the napkin wrapped around the cutlery was soggy as she hadn`t dried the cutlery. Drinks were good and locals friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelfan46
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Visited with friends on a Monday evening, I have been to nearly every pub in west somerset and this has too be my worst ever evening at a pub! We arrived at the bar and waited to be served, eventually we were served and ordered our food in which we were asked where we would like to sit, we were isolated and seated in the skittle alley when there were many spaces in the actual eating area, none reserved!

Our food came and was okay but the service was the worst I have ever seen, we were not asked if our food was okay or if we needed anything, we finished our food and the Very enthusiastic :| lady took our plates.

We waited 20 minutes to be asked for pudding but I was shocked when the lady came in to the skittle alley and said in a grumpy voice, 'pubs shutting' - in exactly those words, it was before 9:30pm and we all had drinks still and still wanted pudding but we bit out lips and went to pay.

As we went to the bar the lady was there but seemed shock why we haven't left making us feel even more un welcome to be at the pub, in which I said we haven't paid our bill. This took ages and we were spoken to like 5 year old kids!

The lady was very rude and I had, had enough I asked to speak to the boss just because I wanted too get it across how unwelcome we are felt and how awful the service was, the boss was out so the chef came to talk.

I spoke to the chef and explained all I have said in this review, he then rudely said your trying to get your money back in which I answered no the food was nice but I just wanted the staff to try and make the next customer feel more welcome and not be kicked out the pub before 9:30 without being asked for puddings.

The biggest shock was he kept moving it around in a circle I just wanted them to take it on board, we went to leave as we weren't getting anywhere when the chef said 'your walking away as your a LIAR, get out my pub' this was a shock and upset the to ladies we were with.

Was it the fact we were young adults ? We go to pubs around west somerset every Monday evenings and this was the worse pub I have ever been in, I've never felt so unwelcome and so out of place !!!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple