“Good food, friendly staff, large garden”
Review of The Carew Arms

The Carew Arms
Ranked #1 of 3 Crowcombe B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Good food, friendly staff, large garden”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were staying in a cottage down the road and had dinner here on our first night. It wasn't our first visit to the pub, so we knew it was decent. The pub looks small from the front, but there is a large dining room round the back, which opens out onto the garden. The food is pretty standard pub fare, but it is freshly cooked and there is plenty of it. Good value for money and recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anna_Durrance_Bagale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Staying in Crowcombe we opted for an evening meal with our young family. The food overall was good, tasty, well presented and fresh. My wife's veggie options were a little limited and could have been better, but they had a children's menu and were accommodating in preparing something not listed.

Beer and wine was fine. Service down to one member of staff, who was polite, friendly and attentive.

A nice evening in a wonderfully traditional pub.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank PaulHArmstrong
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Very friendly and welcoming. Dog friendly, both indoors near the bar, and in the garden with wonderful views over the countryside. Quick, attentive service and excellent food. Only complaint: portions so huge, even a big eater like me couldn't manage dessert!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul P
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Really good value for money and the staff were great. If you're looking for a place that has all the modern extras this isn't it, but we had a great night's sleep and breakfast was spot on too. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RosieKAJ
Bath, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Excellent lunch last Sunday! Six of us had a very enjoyable meal, which was served extremely promptly. We all had roast beef which was perfectly cooked as were the vegetables which were very tasty! The staff were extremely courteous and friendly and attentive. A lovely meal at a lovely place. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank James S
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Called in for light lunch while in the area and liked the unspoilt character of the pub. Ordered butternut squash soup, which was unlike any butternut soup I have had in the past, being watery with what looked like pieces of carrot floating in it and tasting strongly of curry powder. The baguette seemed to be a part-baked one which had been torn in half and toasted/baked. The young waitress was pleasant but inexperienced and apologised that the napkin wrapped around the cutlery was soggy as she hadn`t dried the cutlery. Drinks were good and locals friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelfan46
Minehead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Visited with friends on a Monday evening, I have been to nearly every pub in west somerset and this has too be my worst ever evening at a pub! We arrived at the bar and waited to be served, eventually we were served and ordered our food in which we were asked where we would like to sit, we were isolated and seated in the skittle alley when there were many spaces in the actual eating area, none reserved!

Our food came and was okay but the service was the worst I have ever seen, we were not asked if our food was okay or if we needed anything, we finished our food and the Very enthusiastic :| lady took our plates.

We waited 20 minutes to be asked for pudding but I was shocked when the lady came in to the skittle alley and said in a grumpy voice, 'pubs shutting' - in exactly those words, it was before 9:30pm and we all had drinks still and still wanted pudding but we bit out lips and went to pay.

As we went to the bar the lady was there but seemed shock why we haven't left making us feel even more un welcome to be at the pub, in which I said we haven't paid our bill. This took ages and we were spoken to like 5 year old kids!

The lady was very rude and I had, had enough I asked to speak to the boss just because I wanted too get it across how unwelcome we are felt and how awful the service was, the boss was out so the chef came to talk.

I spoke to the chef and explained all I have said in this review, he then rudely said your trying to get your money back in which I answered no the food was nice but I just wanted the staff to try and make the next customer feel more welcome and not be kicked out the pub before 9:30 without being asked for puddings.

The biggest shock was he kept moving it around in a circle I just wanted them to take it on board, we went to leave as we weren't getting anywhere when the chef said 'your walking away as your a LIAR, get out my pub' this was a shock and upset the to ladies we were with.

Was it the fact we were young adults ? We go to pubs around west somerset every Monday evenings and this was the worse pub I have ever been in, I've never felt so unwelcome and so out of place !!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Rossyi10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crowcombe
Castle of Comfort Country House
#10 of 55 in Taunton
Combe House Hotel
Combe House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Holford

Been to The Carew Arms? Share your experiences!