“Bland!!”
Review of New Inn

New Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newbridge-on-Wye
New Inn
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Bland!!”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

On arrival at the bar to enquire if a room was available we were met with a very frosty uninviting reception.After viewing our room which was very dated and mediocre,my wife and I and 2 friends who lived local thought we would have a drink in the dining room,the owners wife must have been having a bad day,she was very rude and ignorant everything seemed too much effort.We were going to stay and have a meal but decided to get some chips and take them back to there place as we did not want to give them our custom.The following morning's breakfast O my lord......Cereal OR Cooked..........tea OR orange juice,is rationing still alive in Wales? Cooked breakfast with their own sausages was awful,tasted like sausages were stuffed with shredded cardboard,weak luke warm tea,1 slice of toast.All in all..................they won't be seeing us again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Michael H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Penkridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We stay here annually while following the WRCGB, its good value, clean and pleasant, if not we have all of Wales to stay but this is the place we pick.
I sufferer from asthma so if it’s not clean it’s not a case of grin and bear it, I have big issues.
‘The owners wife being sour’, not something we have experienced but it’s a two way street, we always get a warm welcome, more unusually we even get a warm welcome from the locals.
The food is the key, for a big city restaurant it would be very good, for a pub its fantastic, it’s never been less than perfect and as a tip, whatever you order request a sausage or two you will not be disappointed.
Cannot vouch for the puddings, I have never had the room.
With regards the comments re the decor, it’s not something I have noticed but it is an old hotel/pub and I suspect it’s like painting the Forth Bridge, once you have finished one end its time to start again.
Don’t expect: a chrome and glass impersonal city centre hotel.
You will get: a warm welcome, great food and a clean room.
Sean

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sean F
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We had a long drive behind us and a long drive ahead and needed a good hearty meal to keep us going on our trip. We found this place by accident and chose it over other pubs because of it's ample parking.

The decor is dated to say the least but I've certainly seen worse. The main dining room mostly clean, the bar, tables and cutlery were spotless and the brass ornaments on the windowsills were dust free however the windows themselves were grubby with mould/damp starting to take hold and a long dead fly in the corner.

The owners wife seemed quite sour when first entering but after a brief chat she opened up and was very friendly, polite and helpful. We went ahead and ordered our food and chose a table, we both opted for the steak and ale pie.

I nipped to the loo quickly before my meal, when opening the first door through to the small hallway with separate doors to the ladies and gents I was hit by the stench of old urine, the smell was coming from the gents which had the door held permanently open. The ladies had a clean and fresh smell but lacked individual locks on the stall doors, the hot tap one the one basin leaked all over the basin when pressed with very little water coming through the tap spout. On heading back to the dining area I once again hit the smell of urine and this time also got a view of a man urinating as the gents door was still propped open.

I was ready to get up and leave after the state of the toilets, but then the food arrived.

The food was delightful, the meat in the steak pie was so soft and tender it was mouth watering. The chips were some of the best I've had, they were nice big chunky home cooked chips, soft on the inside but with a beautifully crispy shell and were not at all greasy which was a surprise. We had a separate veg bowl to share, the carrots were amazing, they had been boiled but retained so much of their fresh flavour they tasted more like they had been gently steamed, I forgot to ask if they were locally sourced but I've certainly never had anything close to that flavour from a supermarket and were up there with my own home grown. We also had diced swede and broccoli, both well cooked with good flavour.

We had planned on a dessert but the main meal was so filling we couldn't eat another bite.

Other diners at the same time did have a dessert and while the raspberry merengue and fruit pie looked quite nice the knickerbockerglory looked like cheap tinned fruit cocktail with some squirty cream on top.

Over all I was happy with this place, if they could just fix the few little niggles (clean the gents toilets and close the door, clean/replace the carpet in the dining room, clean the windows, fix the leaky tap and add locks in ladies loos) I would go there again. The quality of the food more than made up for the little let downs.

I will be passing through this area again in a few months and will eat there again, I plan on trying out their homemade sausages and bacon or seeing if their steaks are as nice as the meat used in the pie.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Llandrindod Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Have just been for Sunday luncheon. £5.95 per head is a reasonable price I hear you say but £4.50 is the children's portion price ... a bit hefty if you have a three year old, although they do have a childrens menu, the price on which I am sorry I took no note of.

The roast beef luncheon came with boiled carrots, boiled cabbage and boiled swede. Underneath the beef (served in a dish with lumpy gravy and the "roast" potatoes and an acceptable Yorkshire) were more carrots, only this time roasted with and an attempt at roasted parsnip. Where are the peas ... they are cheap!

Deserts are £4.00 and not very imaginative. Knickerbocker Glory I think was £3.50, we didn't partake as saw the offering on another table

It all arrived hot but ... all in all not a happy meal.

The "specials" seem to be very expensive for a mediochre establishment

I am sorry New Inn but get the staff to smile (and the owner's wife!), then brighten the place up with a lick of paint and a new carpet. Then get rid of all the "stuff" dotted around the place which add nothing to the ambience.

The beer garden is shocking. Grass had been cut but left to dry/rot down. It needs a good weed and a tidy, again a little tender loving care would go a long way. Get rid of the horrible big red plastic rubbish bin!

None of these negatives should cost you much to put right.

Sorry but I won't be back unless I read some real positives about the place.

Really, you could do better! So take note of the comments New Inn act on them and you may find yourselves with 5 star comments in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chrissy22R
Northampton
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We wanted a quick meal on our return from our long day out. Stopped at the New Inn found the Landlord to be very chatty, but his wife has a sour face and is not very people (strangers) friendly. The landlord and his wife were in "Four in a bed" series last year.
Obviously could not comment on accomadation, but the pub was acceptable, and clean.
I was led to believe they are famous for their pork as they have their own Butchers shop next door. I had steak & ale pie, & Chris has sweet N sour pork. The food was OK but have tasted better.

Room Tip: Meals are very big, so if you only want a snack, you will have over eaten.