“Falconry experience”

Chris Miller - Falconry Experience Days
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Oxton
Reviewed 29 June 2014

A brilliant day , a very knowledgeable guy. Chris obviously enjoys his work. Chris was easy to get on with made the day enjoyable. The birds were amazing to hold and see flying. Would recommend to anyone. Finished the day with a lovely pub lunch and good company thank you. Paul and Karen.

2  Thank PaulandKaren2014

Reviewed 2 June 2014

A really friendly guy that is obviously knowledgeable and passionate about what he does. A great experience overall and would recommend to others.

It is located next to a nice pub so you can enjoy refreshments once you have finished with the experience.

It is in a field (the grass was fairly long when we went) so may not be easily accessible to some all year round.

3  Thank 571adj
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Groupon voucher was given to me as a birthday present.
The problem was the phone number and the email address on the voucher were both wrong.
This may or may not have been a fault on the part of Groupon.
Once I had found the correct contact details for Chris booking the day was straight forward,
with Chris sending a list of available days.
We had a very good day learning about the birds of prey and how old time sayings came about,
Having close contact with the birds mad it a very good experience and a lovely day to remember.
Thank you very much Chris.

Colin Izzard

3  Thank Colin I
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Never write reviews (also appreciate the ones shared), but in this case after being scammer by Mr. Miller and after his scam was backed up by Groupon, I decided it the time to put my experience in black and white. Hopefully some people will avoid the same mistake I did.

Without doing a research on the Internet, I bought this deal ("Half Day Hawk Handling Experience") on 16th of January and decided to wait a couple of months before contacting Mr. Miller (waiting for a warmer weather). I was naive to expect that 6 month would be enough to book an appointment (as deal is to expire on 12th of July).

I contacted Mr. Miller in March, a couple months before I wanted to make an appointment. No reply and I was too busy, so decided to wait another month. Contacted him on 8th of May. Received email back saying:
"Since we receive numerous enquiries on a daily basis, can I ask you to re-contact me again in approximately 10 days time when I should be able to confirm the June dates for you? Likewise, the dates for July will not be confirmed until mid-June."

Waited 9 days and contacted his on 17th of May. No reply. Sending a polite notice on 19th asking if he received my email and has the dates. No reply. Waited another two days and contacted Groupon on 23rd of May (so we're 15 days further from Mr Millers last email). Wrote to Groupon support and couple hours later received email from Mr Miller. Talking about coincidences.

Reply from Mr Miller
"The next available dates for the bird of prey handling experience (3 hours) are as follows:
· Saturday 31 May
· Tuesday 3 June
· Thursday 5 June
· Tuesday 10 June
· Thursday 19 June"

So, here I had too problems:
1. There is only 1 Saturday available, a short notice of a week away which we had to reserve for other things as we can't sit around and wait for Mr Miller to answer to us. Why would he... we already paid.
2. Advertisement states that "Eagle and bird of prey experience valid Tue, Thu and Sat 10.30am-1.30pm. " This this a false statement which puts Groupon AND Mr Miller in breach of a contract I already paid for. As from his email it states he only has 1 Saturday a month available.

Explained this situation to Groupon and asked to cancel the deal THREE times. Template answer asking ME to go ahead with the deal and handle it with THEIR business partner.

Bottom line. £18 down, lost time explaining Groupon guys what's wrong, but they don't listen. They don't care about all negative reviews people leave about Mr. Millers business on Internet and they don't care about their customers, as in their first email they mentioned I'm not the first person to contact them about the problem with this deal.

Combined, how many people did Mr Miller and Groupon ignored showing complete disrespect to their customers?

Not impressed and disappointed in such scamming techniques...

8  Thank aphrodita7
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My mum and I have just got back from a 'Bird of Prey Experience' with Chris. I bought the deal as a birthday present through Groupon and had trouble with the online booking- but this is NOT Chris's fault. Groupon were not very helpful, but Chris was - he responded quickly with several choices of dates for Mum and I to choose through his own email address on the website.
Mum and I went today to Oxton today, parking was easy and there was a small group of us who met Chris and the birds in the adjacent field.
What Chris doesn't know about birds of prey isn't worth knowing! I wish we had written it down as we learned so much about the birds themselves, the history of falconry and a lot more besides. Chris knows the birds really well and is so caring about them. He took his time to answer questions and made sure everyone got to hold the amazing golden eagle, take great photos of all the birds and wear the glove several times for the birds to return to after flying (I don't know the technical term, sorry Chris!) We went way over the session time- such is Chris's enthusiasm. It has really been a fantastic experience- Mum, a bird watcher, loved her present. I would recommend his sessions to anyone- just take a notebook!

3  Thank suec_10