“Will definitely go back!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ciriaco Hotel

Ciriaco Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Calbayog City
Manila, Philippines
“Will definitely go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

I had the chance to visit Calbayog City last May (out of a whim), and I couldn't be happier that I took the flight to this beautiful place in Samar Region! I went here last May without expecting much, but boy I was surprised to find a hidden gem that offers world-class facilities, which I heard were designed by a renowned Filipino architect, accented by really expensive furniture (made by an equally famous designer here in the Philippines)! My room, minimalist in style, was very spacious and had the best sea-view which I certainly don't mind waking up to every day! Their customer service was first class, everyone was genuinely friendly and displays the well-loved Filipino hospitality. The restaurant's humba de calbayog (pork stew that is sweet, sour and salty all at the same time), and sinakongan (red rice served with chocolate syrup - sounds weird, but believe, it tastes really good) were really mouth-watering and to die for! They also offer a wide variety of tours that is perfect for those who love nature and adventure. We availed one of their tour packages to see for ourselves what the region has to offer. Our group's tour guide, Warrren, was very informative and even went the extra mile to ensure that we are all having fun! He was not just our tour guide, but our photographer (a great one at that!). We went to Biri Island, and visited 2 of the more famous rock formations. We rode a Habal-Habal, a customized motorcyle that can carry up to 4 persons. The rock formations remind me of those in Grand Canyon. We crossed wooden bridges, dead corals, some mangroves, and the sea to get to these rock formations. After that, we went to Tarangban Falls - one of the most beautiful falls I've ever seen! We also went to Paranas (eastern samar) to try the Torpedo Boat Ride. The experience is similar to white water rafting, but what makes this one different (and more exciting) is that you have the option to jump into the raging waters! This is totally safe as the guide and the boatmen will be waiting for you (with a make-shift rope where you can hang-on) at the calmer side of the river, where the water will bring you on your way downstream. There are other tourist spots that our group was not able to visit due to lack of time (caves, beaches, lighthouse and more falls). I will definitely go back to explore the rest of the region, hopefully before the rest of the world discovers this great place!

Room Tip: Get the room with a sea-view; avail their adventure packages - more convenient as each tourist spot...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank chanch17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
Tacloban City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

My friends and I had a great time when we went to Ciriaco, the hotel offers a very reasonable package that includes accommodation, picnic lunch, transportation and tour. we availed the Paranas Torpedo boat tour and one of their staff “Waren” is our tour guide and he is very good and informative. Thought the tour last for a whole day the activities and sights are really worth it. Their rooms are really spacious and comfortable; we never expected something like this in Calbayog. The picnic lunch they served us is really a must try and the staffs are friendly. Two thumbs up for Ciriaco Hotel and Resort, I hope I can go there again in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jessa P
Angeles City, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

After paying an advance booking fee online(PHP 660),the hotel manager charged me the full price of my stay. The reason for it, I shifted my booking, because of Tsunami I was forced to spend 2 days at the pier of Matnog which was already terrible. I wrote and called them to explain my later arrival as soon as I knew about the travel problem, but the stubborn management insisted to fine me. Note that the hotel was empty, so they did not have to back off other guests because of my reservation!
At the restaurant they try to cheat by double the price of my order!!! After trying 2 meals I must say that it was not only the most expensive Filipino restaurant I ever eat, but also the worse food I ever had in the Philippines, I'm travelling the Philippines since 25 years.

Room Tip: ask for a balcony room by booking the more expensive seaview rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank panter2001
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Very comfortable rooms, almost 5 star quality, friendly staff. We availed of their tours where we experiencedthe hidden surprises of the region. White water rapids, where you can actually swim the raging waters! Not a standard in other counties but definetly more fun in Samar (Philippines). Rock formations carved by the powers of the pacific ocean. Hundred year old trees while shooting the rapids! Food was a delight to the taste buds. Sweet potato tops iced tea laced with honey, red rice cooked in coconut milk and served with hot chocolate just an example of the wizardy of the kithchen. Simply amazing! Well managed and packaged. Definetly coming back

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed at Ciriaco Hotel just recently. What I noticed immediately are the friendly hotel staff. It was a very comfortable place for my hubby and I, the rooms are nice and clean. Also we had free roundtrip airport transfer, and if you wish to go to the city there's an on-call hotel shuttle from morning till midnight. The breakfast buffet isn't so great (just tocino, eggs, rice) this may need more variation. But all in all this is the best place to stay at Calbayog :)

Room Tip: views of the ocean are nicer but more pricey :)
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

Super accommodating and friendly staff; room is so spacious; pool is beautiful; they offer samar food that is delicious, especially the humba, so sinfully delicious..They also offer tours & trips...must try are the paranas, bangon and biri tours..higly recommend to everyone..will definitely try it again!

• Stayed April 2013
Sofia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

It is the best hotel in town, but not a good hotel. The rooms are spacious and nice, flat TV, but mounted on the wall that it is not possible to connect the laptop with the HDMI. The swimming pool is ready meanwhile, a very large pool, but everywhere only 80 cm deep.. it is more like a huge bathtub than a swimming pool.. the offered massage is not available, the spa is under construction, the pool bar is under construction as well.. the hotel offers on their homepage car rental and a tour operator, both doesn't excist.. I have asked for a tour operator and got one flyer with website and email of the tour operator, but both not valid anymore. The hotel staff offered to investigate alternatives, but are just phrases.. I never got any alternative in 2 weeks.. Wireless internet is slow, especially in the evenings very slow.... the breakfast is a joke, scrambled eggs, rice and fish, fruits only from 7 to 7:30 am, if you are the first in the restaurant..the food in the restaurant is much, but not delicious, but expensive..the staff is friendly, but overstrained with every question you might have... when all planned facilities are ready - in some years maybe - the hotel might be a good place to stay, but for the moment you are lost in this place, in case you don't know anybody in Calbayog who can guide you a bit around.. no beach.. no nightlife, no good restaurants.. it is a boring place..

Room Tip: The noise from the street gets you awake very early.. as long as there is no huge construction going...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Catbalogan
Marvin's Seaside Inn
Marvin's Seaside Inn
#2 of 7 in Naval

Been to Ciriaco Hotel? Share your experiences!