“WHAT A WONDERFUL STAY!!!”

Florence La Paggeria B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Montorsoli B&B and Inns
Hillsboro Beach, Florida
“WHAT A WONDERFUL STAY!!!”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I traveled to Italy (with my 2 sisters and a friend) in July 2013 and had researched the area ad nauseum! When the decision was made to stay at La Paggeria for a week, I corresponded with Antonella for months trying to make sure that all of the arrangements were perfect...and they were! Our stay with Antonella and Paolo couldn't have been better! In addition to going to the market to shop for dinner (and our cooking lesson with Paolo),we so appreciated their lovely hospitality and generosity at the rustic and beautiful B and B. They assisted with reservations to museums, helped us maneuver the buses and trains, and took us for the Castle wine tour. Our meals cooked by Paolo were some of the very best I've ever eaten. The breakfasts were delicious and substantial and Paolo even accommodated one of us who needed a gluten free diet. That's a tough thing to do with pasta! We fell in love with Paolo and Antonella, Tuscany and Krug, the big old sweet golden lab, and I am already looking forward to the next visit. The location was conducive to easy traveling to Florence by bus and taking the train to outlying areas such as Cinque Terre and Lucca. Don't hesitate to consider this B and B for your Tuscany vacation! It is a magical place! Randi R.

Room Tip: We had upstairs rooms in the main house and they were perfect!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Randi R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My husband and I stayed for four nights in the private suite of the main house in June. Overall we enjoyed our experience as it gave us a taste of Tuscany as well as allowing us to visit Florence. Our only excursion to a neighbouring town was by private van hire; using this location as a base for touring by train or bus from Florence may be awkward due to the details of bus travel to Montorsoli as indicated below.

Antonella picked us up and took us back to the train station which was a nice way to start and end our stay. She is very pleasant but neither she nor Paolo are fluent in English so addressing some questions and issues is difficult if you do not speak Italian. Our accomodation was adequate but I personally felt the suite had a basement feel to it with a stone floor and concrete walls so I did not enjoy it as much as others who have reviewed on this site, personal taste I guess. The dinner we had was very memorable and we felt worth the $38 per person. The view was lovely, relaxing countryside, rustic with olive and fig trees growing nearby, pool basic but warm enough to enjoy, clean and private.

As other reviewers have noted there are a few things to consider if you stay here:

1. It is at least a 20 minute/9 km ride out of Florence. The ride is pleasant but the direct number 25 "A" (not 25 which ends 3 stops short and the road is narrow and somewhat dangerous to walk on) bus from Florence to Montorsoli runs about every 45 minutes with the last one leaving the city about 7:45 pm. One guest mentioned that a taxi from Florence to the B and B after the bus stopped running cost more than the dinner for four as the driver charged for both the drive out and back again.

2. Restaurant options are limited near the B and B which is in a residential area. There is a restaurant near the bus stop which is less than a five minute walk away but it is not always open. Antonella did offer to drive up the road to another if we advised her in the morning which is great but you need to make your plans in advance. The chalet looked cute and quite new and tidy and did have cooking facilities. It would have been nice to have the ability to make a cup of coffee or tea in the house somewhere as there were no beverage facilities in the rooms other than a small fridge.

I should mention that the town of Fiosole is 7 km from Florence with more frequent (about every 15 mintues) and later bus service via number 7 from San Marco Square. There seemed to be a good number of restaurants and accomodation in Fiesole which has an out of town/Tuscan hills feel to it and I would consider staying there if any of the above issues matter to you.

Room Tip: Private suite in main house has a stone floor and concrete walls, basement feel to it for me but oth...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth471
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed at La Paggeria just a few weeks ago and we loved it. We had a great room at the bottom of the house with a private sitting area overlooking some beautiful views. We found it very easy to take the bus in and out of Florence, once you figure out the bus system. Antonella and Paolo were great hosts, they made our visit very comfortable and welcoming. The breakfasts were delicious. We took other peoples advice and participated in the cooking lesson. That was one of the highlights of our two weeks in Italy. We enjoyed the visit to the market in the morning, the lesson in the kitchen, and the enjoyment of the meal along with the great company. We really enjoyed our stay at La Paggeria. Thanks

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bnyce33
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Antonella and Paolo could not have been more welcoming and helpful. The rooms were lovely in this old Casa (although it was unseasonably cold for the end of May) and the five course authentic dinner prepared by Paolo was exquisite! Warm and wonderful people and the view of Tuscany from up on this hillside was simply breathtaking.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Randall B
Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay at La Paggeria, Paolo and Antonella made us feel so welcome in their home. Travel into Florence is so easy due to a good bus system only two minute walk from their house. Breakfast is so fresh and good, take one of Paolo's cooking lessons and learn to make good, fresh Italian food. If we ever get the chance to come back this way we will defiently come back to see everyone.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marg C
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 25 December 2012

This was our first trip to Italy and this was the highlight of our entire trip. Our daughter was spending a semester in Venice. She met us in Florence over Thanksgiving week 2012 and we stayed at La Paggeria for three days before heading to Rome and Venice. Paolo and Antonella were perfect hosts. Paolo picked us up at the Airport then took us to the train station to pick up our daughter. This made things so much easier than trying to figure out how to get our daughter and then get to the B and B after such a long flight. We then headed to the market where we picked out all the ingredients for a cooking lesson my daughter and I had that evening with Paolo. I would highly recommend the cooking lesson. Paolo is an amazing cook. It was the best meal we had during out entire stay in Italy. When we arrived Antonella made us feel right at home while Paolo cooked up a delicious lunch. It was very relaxing after the long flight. The property is beautiful with breathtaking views. The accommodations were lovely and spotless. Antonella and Paolo were wonderful and very helpful with helping us plan out our activities in Florence and the surrounding area. The daily breakfast was the best especially Antonellas homemade orange and lemon Jams. They do have 2 dogs Krug and Lula who we really enjoyed but if you don't like dogs this might not be your best choice. The location was perfect a short 4-5 minute walk to the bus station and you were in the heart of Florence in 15-20 minutes. It is a beautiful rustic location we enjoyed it very much and really got the feel of the Tuscan countryside. The property can sleep 12 so we hope to return with our entire family and stay longer. My only caution would be that the property is on a hillside and the walk to the bus is up-hill. We had no issues with it and loved the whole package but I think my dad who has had knee replacement might have a bit of a hard time with the steps and walk to the bus. I would highly recommend this to anyone especially if you are looking for a truly authentic Italian experience.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kathy N
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 21 November 2012

The area was beautiful - picturesque outlook and quiet (except for the dog). Unfortunately our stay was disappointing in some respects with the exception of the food. Paolo is an amazing cook and Antonella really makes a mean dessert. But...... Our museum reservations had not been made as promised and we missed out - then although we were made welcome on arrival with lovely food and wine, we were told that our chalet was not available (even though we had the reservation confirmed for weeks) and had to stay in the house for the first night. Why? Because the previous guests wanted to extend by one night!!! Not acceptable. When we finally made it to the chalet , it was comfy and roomy. Wouldn't recommend.

Room Tip: Triple check that everything is as you have booked
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
FirenzeAntonella, Proprietario at Florence La Paggeria B&B, responded to this review, 23 November 2012
I am sorry that your stay at paggeria has been disappointing.If requested by the guests I book me for their the museums,
but we urge you to let me know the date of the visit to the museum in advance. I checked our correspondence and I am not any request for museums by your , probably me you have requested upon arrival, but unfortunately it is not always possible to book last minute museums, because there is not always available . I have always booked for all guests who have asked me, I'm sorry not to have succeeded with you.
I had sent prior to your arrival an e-mail to inform you that the chalet was not available for the first night, but got no answer. We have offered and ospitatato the first night in one of the best rooms in the main house.
You have been with us about a week and you could tell that the dog was bothering you, and all your negative impressions during your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montorsoli
Hotel David
#3 of 11 in Fiesole
Eden Rock Resort
Eden Rock Resort
#37 of 675 in Florence

Been to Florence La Paggeria B&B? Share your experiences!