“Awesome oceanfront spot”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beachview
Dolphins View Guest House
Ranked #3 of 4 Beachview B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 November 2011

this is a little ways from PE, but worth it! Most rooms look out on the crashing waves of the ocean--felt like Big Sur in the southern hemisphere! Elaine, the voluble and party-loving Scottish innkeeper, will take excellent care of you.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank abudhabinomad

Reviewed 3 November 2011

I had booked this accommodation to enjoy a quiet relaxed break at the end of our two week holiday in South Africa. Correspondence with the proprietor had been very good and this, alongside the glowing reports on Trip Advisor and claims of superior quality and gorgeous pictures of sand dunes from Dolphins View's own website had me looking forward to an oasis on the beach.

The guest house is located approximately 30 mins from central PE. It is in a quiet seaside residential location directly opposite a stunning seaview. I wanted a quiet location so I was not disappointed by this although guests should expect to either use the self catering facilities or prepare to drive a reasonable length to find a decent restaurant since there is nothing of note anyway close by. Its location "off the beaten track" is, I'm sure, part of its appeal.

There is a small beach opposite the guest house but the beach is predominately rocky but I understand the sand dunes at Maitland Beach are a short drive away.

The accommodation itself does not live up to its billing. Furnishings are clean and functional but not of a high quality. The single glazed windows in the living room had an inch gap at the top of the window frame where the hinges had slipped / supporting wood had rotted through and the this was indicative of the standard of the accommodation. It is in not modern, "up market" (as the website claims) and actually it is very poor value when compared with other guest houses in PE.

I am sure that the proprietor's hospitality is as wonderful as the reviews suggest, but the standard of this accommodation meant that we did not stay to find out. I was disappointed that I had been taken in by the beautiful website and previous reviews (these I now eye with some scepticism) and if the accommodation lived up to its claims I am sure this would be a wonderful place to stay. Until the rooms are completely refurbed though I can't see how Dolphins View can substantiate its claims or its previous reviews (ranking on trip adviser).

Whilst in South Africa I was advised by a lovely local couple that the South African rating system for guest houses is such that three star accommodation in South Africa can be very poor. Perhaps Dolphins View is one of the better three stars in South Africa but as a seasoned European traveller I would rate the accommodation only as two stars.

Go for the sea view and location if this is what you are looking for but don't expect "first class accommodation". If this is what you are looking for then my advice is stay in PE itself and drive to the beach.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chinbin
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We booked this place for a 2 night stay based upon the website and glowing Tripadvisor reports. Sadly, our journey was wasted and we walked right back out upon seeing the accommodation. The furniture is NOT good quality. The place is clean but this is diminished by it's shabbiness which makes it appear unclean. The building is unattractive and is not enhanced by a rusting name sign. The single glazed windows do not even shut properly leaving large gaps and are insecure. The general fixtures and fittings were, at best, of average quality. I didn't see any traveller photos of the accommodation to accompany the reviews, and I didn't stay long enough to photograph the rusting curtain poles and ugly aged radiator. The website photos also don't depict the fact that the accomodation is a bedsit rather than a high quality self-catering suite. It is basically a bed placed in a kitchen and a rather tatty bathroom. The towels are certainly not top of the range as purported by the website. As for the glowing reviews, I can only recommend that caution is exercised if you're looking to book this place. You may find yourself disappointed and in a location which is undoubtedly naturally beautiful but actually far from amenities.

Room Tip: Use caution - expect average bedsit by the sea and you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KatieDuncs
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My wife & I staid a total of three months in this wonderful place when I started my new job in PE. And while the job was stressful at the time it always felt like a holiday coming back every day. Located in first row to the sea, a huge beach only 5 minutes away, a family-like service by Elaine the good sole and owner of this B&B .... this is what you are looking for when you search for a B&B in a seaside location. Be it for a short term business visit to PE where you have the nice combination of a short commute to airport or city but a remote & peaceful hideway or for a relaxing vacation at the sea - Dolphins View Guest House is a great choice - I still have business parteners and friends stay here frequently as I know Elaine is taking good care of them.

And... Dolphins View is one of the few places that stands up tp its name - yes, you can really see Dolphins here on a freuqent basis ... and even whales if you are lucky!
Keep it up Elaine!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Needing a couple of months away from the daily grind in Charleston, South Carolina and desparately needing to finish a writing project that had been languishing in the swamps of the Low-Country, I looked to the coast of South Africa and found Dolphin's View by luck . . . or by Divine Providence. Elaine, the owner, met me at the airport, and from that very moment on, my time at Dolphin's View was productive, energetic, solitary (if I chose ), captivating and compelling. The sights and sounds of the wild coast simply called deeply to the human creative spirit and would not take "NO" for an answer. I accomplished more in two months writing at Elaine's Paradise than I had in previous years! She made sure that everything was just as it should be . . . she is masterful in anticipating and fulfilling the needs of her guests.
The condition of the rooms in which I stayed was more than ever I could have expected. Each aspect of my living environment was beyond any criticisms that I might imagine . . . and Elaine was fastidious in ensuring that each day met the same high standards with which I was initially greeted.
I would most assuredly recommend Dolphin's View to anyone for whatever reason s/he might conjure up . . . pleasure, business, soul-searching and, well, simply needing some refreshment and laughter. I will be returning as soon as I am able, and it can't be too soon!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Excelent hospitality and warm welcome. its realy home away from home. thank you Elaine for the best welcoming and memraoble welcoming and stay eva.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 24 July 2011

One night was not enough. The rooms are spacious with comfortable beds and sheets you'd love to slip under. The seaview is uninterrupted and the sound of the waves crashing meters away lets you sleep like a baby. Elaine is so friendly, charming and accommodating that you will feel like family after 5 minutes. We will be coming back for a longer pleasure trip asap.

Room Tip: Room 4 has a great balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Been to Dolphins View Guest House? Share your experiences!