“Great Place Off-the-Beaten-Path” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Greenhouse

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in General Luna
Greenhouse
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in General Luna
Shanghai, China
“Great Place Off-the-Beaten-Path”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

I stayed at Greenhouse for 5 days in October 2011. Our cottage was recently renovated and very comfortable. It had a great covered porch that we spent most of our time hanging out on when we weren't surfing. We also ate all our meals at a picnic table on the porch which was quite nice. The food was really cheap and fantastic. No exaggeration, fantastic. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all hearty and delicious.

Service was also good, both the local staff and owners were more than accommodating.

Surfing was great. We went out in a group every morning and afternoon. Very few spots were had any significant amount of other surfers. A few times we had to compete some for waves but 95% of the time it wasn't an issue. Greenhouse's boat took us to wherever the surf was breaking that session. Really fun way of getting to know the other guests, the staff and the owners (I came with a friend but wouldn't hesitate to return by myself).

Siargao is really unspoiled as many tourists don't know about it. It's more difficult to get to than the more popular spots in the Philippines but (in my opinion) totally worth it. If possible, I would strongly recommend flying directly to Siargao as opposed to flying elsewhere and taking the ferry (which we did and proved difficult).

Overall, the place was amazing. The slightly cheaper options on the island didn't look nearly as nice and the more expensive options were much, much more expensive.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
san diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

I have stayed in Siargao on numerous occasions with the last 3 at Greenhouse. The location is great for relaxing on the luxurious lawn, swimming in the lagoon, or taking boats surfing, snorkeling, or exploring. Andrew and James are gracious hosts and the staff is very accommodating. This is the perfect place for total relaxation or hardcore surf trips (or both). There are a variety of activities on offer at Greenhouse such as surfing, boating, SUP, snorkeling, exploring on the boat or motobikes (available for rent) and some small but eclectic nightlife. The menu at Greenhouse has a variety of international and local items that are healthy and delicious. Be sure to get the banana coffee milkshake (or something along those lines)! Accommodations are super comfortable and the design and decor of the buildings are warm and inviting. I truly could live here! Thanks for all of the good times Greenhouse, I will see you again soon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Muscat, Oman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

Visiting Siargoa and staying at Greenhouse would be rated as my top holiday to date and I will no doubt return for another visit. The remote island is the perfect island bliss with hardly any vehicles, tarred roads or shops where you can really get that authentic feel of the culture with the locals. It is a true escape from the busy real world yet has everything you need for a comfortable stay.

Green House was our choice of accommodation and after seeing what else there was available on the island I would by far rate as the best. The beach bungalows right on the waters edge are beautifully designed and comfortable. The bathrooms are clean and modern and the overall accommodation and gardens are kept very clean. Moreover the team of people that look after you whilst you are there are so friendly and go out of their way to make your stay an amazing one. The food that we had every day was out of this world, there is snorkeling equipment, surf boards, body boards etc that can be used and a boat with a driver to take you out to the top surf breaks, islands etc.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Haleiwa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

Staying at the Greenhouse was definitely one of the best parts of visiting Siargao. The Greenhouse is located on a beautiful, secluded beach not far from Cloud 9. One of the best parts of staying here is the use of the boat to take you to your favorite surf breaks, snorkeling, or wherever you want to go!
The bungalows are beautifully furnished with comfortable beds and a perfect patio to enjoy some shade in the heat of the day or to relax in the evenings.
The best thing about the Greenhouse is the friendly staff members who are more than willing to go out of their way to make sure you are having a great time!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

I stayed in The Greenhouse last year for a week with a few friends. I've traveled around the Philippines before, but this was by far the best service and most intimate place I've been. The rooms were spacious and the beds were comfortable. Each bungalow was equipped with an indoor and outdoor shower, speaker system (great for listening to relaxing music in the afternoon or evening), and a front deck facing the water.

Every morning I woke up to the sound of waves lapping against the sand and a delicious breakfast served on the deck of my bungalow. The staff was always extremely friendly and helpful. Never having surfed before, we rented some boards and a lovely staff member took my friend and I out on the water to give surfing a try. He was helpful, instructive and enjoyed a good laugh.

I would definitely recommend The Greenhouse to anyone that asked and loved my time there.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

After 8months travelling through Asia, we found our 2 weeks at the Greenhouse to be the highlight of our travel experience! The accommodation is top notch, carefully designed and comfortable rooms are spacious and well priced. The owners and staff members are a friendly and genuine bunch who go out of their way to assist you and make your stay that much more special and memorable. Surfing and snorkelling gear is available for hire and excellent surf breaks present themselves just a short Greenhouse boat hop away.

I left The Greenhouse and Siargao Island vowing to return, as it was truly one of the best places I have visited. My wife and I shall be seeing you again, soon!

• Stayed July 2011
Beijing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

The Greenhouse is an excellently run eco-friendly series of bungalows on the beach in the secluded island of Siargao. I first met the proprietor, Andrew Russo, via a mutual friend and have stayed there twice since. The Greenhouse is a surfer's paradise, a short walk from Cloud 9 surf break and my personal favorite Tui Son. My girlfriend also enjoyed it, and visited the rock pools and special (non-stinging) jellyfish on boat trips from the Greenhouse.

The rooms are comfortably furnished, each having WiFi and a speaker system to play music while relaxing between surf sessions or chilling out during the heat of the day. The showers are artistically done with beautiful smoothed rocks and the houses are done traditionally in all wood. There was a loft upstairs suitable for kids. The Greenhouse has a nice quiver of boards available for vacationers.

The staff are all locals, personally trained by Andrew and they are a great bunch. They're also much better surfers than I, but gave me a lot of leeway in surf etiquette to go for the sets I wanted and were always friendly.

The crabgrass lawning is fun to relax on, and play a game of cornhole or bochiball in the evening with a cold beer.

An experience I'll never forget is awakening in the morning to the gentle sound of surf lapping against the shore and looking out to a sunny day and awesome waves breaking around the point.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
#3 of 9 in Siargao Island
Siargao Inn
Siargao Inn
#2 of 14 in General Luna

Been to Greenhouse? Share your experiences!