Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Rewarding and fulfilling institute!

Several hundred miles north of Mexico’s border with Belize, expat Catherine Gray has been making a... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
BobinMex
2 weeks of language study and a delightful homestay!

I already knew Spanish, but enjoyed a 2-week refresher course. My teacher was well prepared, fun... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
KarenK2057

All reviews spanish teacher an incredible experience host family immersion program carrillo classroom school classes opportunities felipe puerto immersed immersive hiking bikes nature lagoon
Reviewed 25 June 2017

The experience exceeded our expectations in every way. The cultural and language immersion is perfect - far enough from the tourist crowds that you feel like you really get a good idea about life in a Mexican town. Yes, it is hot in June and there are mosquitos but nothing you wouldn't expect that time of year. The town felt incredibly safe to me - my son left his backpack in a store there before realizing about 10 minutes later and the nice shopkeeper had kept an eye on it so it was completely undisturbed when we returned to collect it. Yes there are other english speakers at the school but if you make an effort to hang out with your family and go into town often to interact with the people in town (very few of whom speak English), you will get tons of experience speaking spanish. The teachers at the school were very good at adjusting the level of the class for the particular needs of the students. We had rented a car which was useful for taking side trips (we went to Muyil one day and spent a couple of days in Tulum before arriving at the school) but once we were at the homestay, we parked the car and rode the bikes everywhere - biking was very convenient.

Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

My husband and I wanted our 11 year old to leave the U.S. and experience a bit of our southern neighbor's culture and to advance his Spanish skills. He took 1:1 classes for three hours a day with a great instructor and we spent evenings talking and hanging out with our host family. The school was incredibly responsive helping us plan logistics, accommodated a few special requests, and placed us with a family who had similar age kids to our son.

We slept in hammocks, took cold showers, navigated the town on bikes, enjoyed daily stops at a local aqua fresca (fresh juice) store, and enjoyed kayaking in a local lagoon. The locals are friendly, charged us the same amount as they would charge each other, and the town felt very safe.

I would highly recommend it to others, and look forward to returning!

Reviewed 19 June 2017

This is a school for local children to learn English. Luckily for the kids, more thought and effort goes into this program than into the program to teach Spanish to English speakers (which partially funds the program for the local kids).

The program is not really a total immersion program as the people in the school (including fellow students) usually use English with each other. However, if you make an effort you can minimize your exposure to English; and if you're lucky enough to get a family which includes you in meals and speaks with you: if this doesn't happen then complain so that your family is changed.

The local diet is very meat-centric. If you'd like some vegetables in your diet then you should either pay a bit extra for the vegetarian diet (which means the family will be making you special meals) or try to convince the family to eat more vegetables. But the food is tasty and some of the local restaurants are definitely worth trying (although not the one close to the school which is usually used for welcome dinners). You should also participate in the optional local cooking class for a dinner as it's fun and the food is good.

The Spanish classes are usually 4 hours during the mornings on weekdays. The teachers are good and the small class size is conducive to more personal attention and speaking in Spanish - however the curriculum is not designed to teach you the practicalities of living in a community of Spanish-speakers: only about 10% of the lessons are geared towards this, the rest are standard grammar and vocabulary. If you're good at language this won't be a huge problem, but if you aren't this will probably frustrate you.

In June we had some times of 100 degrees with 100% humidity. There can also be a fair number of biting insects.

You should sign up for a bicycle. The town isn't large but it's bigger than you'd want to walk across, especially in the heat. There can be a bit of traffic on the main roads and cars tend to take right-of-way from pedestrians and bikes. But it doesn't feel unsafe if you're careful.

The local people are very friendly and there will be many opportunities to practice your Spanish.

Management response:Responded 21 June 2017

Thanks for writing us a review! We are currently building a second-floor extension (which will be finished in two weeks), this will provide more space and resources to our Spanish and Maya students. We hope this will strike a better balance between our different programs. All of the staff involved in the SAY Program can speak Spanish, but we conduct our initial orientation and the welcome dinner in English as we want to make sure people understand everything, especially when they first arrive. We are going to make sure that this is clearer on our website. Thank you for visiting us and taking the time to write us a review.

Reviewed 4 March 2017

What I really loved about Na'atik is that they also offer and support the local community as well as offering a Spanish & Mayan immersion programs for those that come from abroad.

Everyone was incredibly responsive from the very first enquiry. Na’atik was well organized and Poppy & Layla ensured all went smooth from the time of booking to getting me settled into my home-stay to my ‘graduation’ day.

It was a treat to have my class size made up of only three people, allowing for great personalized service. I supplemented my daily classes with a couple hours of private lessons with Jose. I just loved the way he mixed up the teaching style in order to reinforce the ‘verbal’ aspects.

Not only did I immerse myself in Spanish lessons, I immersed myself with my home-stay family. It was an incredible experience to be so welcomed in their home, a complete stranger, and become a part of their family unit in such a short time. They were so open and giving and it was amazing how the ‘small’ things meant so much.

Na’atik arranged a dinner out for the students from abroad attending classes and a nice afternoon trip to eco-friendly and peaceful Balam Na where we kayaked through the mangroves enjoying the calm and nature.

Carrillo is ideal for learning Spanish as there is little to no English spoken. It’s off the beaten path but there are plenty of opportunities before, during or after your stay to see the Mexican countryside and Inca ruins.

For instance, Tulum which has beautiful cenotes and ruins, is approximately 1.5 hours away. Bacalar, with its seven-colored lagoon is approximately 1.5 hours. There’s Chetumal and Sian Ka’an and so many more accessible and wonderful areas to explore. The bonus is that the local buses Mayab and ADO and the local collectivos are so easy to catch.

1  Thank LiveYourYBR
Reviewed 2 March 2017

After two weeks immersed in the Maya language, including homestay with two familiies, I emerged with an ability to chat in Maya with people I met in the street. It opened many doors to getting to know the people and culture, doors that would not have opened without some language ability to break the ice. Thank you Na'atik. I fully recommend them to anyone who wants to get beyond academics and learn how to actually speak to people, how to platicar in Spanish or Maya.

2  Thank John C