“Great Vacation!!”
Review of Six Senses Laamu

Six Senses Laamu
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Olhuveli Island
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Six Senses Laamu in April. Although it is quite a trek getting to the resort, it was worth it. When we arrived in Male, we were greeted by staff from the resort. The staff member assisted us with check in to our domestic flight. After a short hop to Laamu and boat ride, we were welcomed to the resort by management, and introduced to our Gem.

Initially, for privacy, we had hoped to be on Jetty C, but were advised we'd be staying at the end of Jetty A. Our Gem assured us we'd like the villa. He was right, it was awesome!! We had an unobstructed view of the Indian Ocean, and plenty of privacy to relax in peace. An easy swim took us to the edge of the reef for some nice snorkeling.

We were on the half board meal plan. Its a good option, with plenty of good food to choose from. Our Gem told the chef that my wife is a vegetarian and he prepared meals that were not listed on the menu. That was a nice touch.

For us, the only downer was the dive shop. Even though we brought our own equipment, and only needed tanks and weights, it was over-the-top expensive. The diving and guides were just OK. Even a shore dive without a guide was expensive. We've dived all over the world, and this was the first place were felt it wasn't worth the expense. We spent most of our time snorkeling the resorts reef.

Overall, we had an amazing time at Six Senses Laamu.

We rode Emirates to and from the Maldives. On our way back to the US, we spent a couple of nights in Dubai. A must, if you have a stop over in Dubai.

Room Tip: Spend the extra coin for a villa at the end of the Jetty. It's worth it. Villa 18 at the end o...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KB3851
SixSensesLaamu, General Manager at Six Senses Laamu, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear KB3851,

It is great to know that your holiday with us has been amazing and you have truly enjoyed your stay. The whole team takes great pride in offering flawless and unforgettable experiences to our guests and for that we are very grateful with your appreciation.

Your comment on the other hand regarding your dive experience has been well-taken and shared to our dive partner, Ocean Dimensions. Please be assured that we always make effort to improve on our service and offerings and we greatly value your observations, comments and time.

I thank you once again for sharing with us your feedback and we will be waiting for your next visit to Six Senses Laamu.

General Manager, Six Senses Laamu

Write a ReviewReviews (1,352)

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

The water villas are amazing - comfortable, roomy, quirky, with all the modern amenities. It's definitely luxurious! We travelled with our 3.5 year old and he thoroughly enjoyed himself too.

We loved the bicycles and I loved the tricycle they gave me to cart my son around in. He enjoyed The Den, and we enjoyed kayaking around the island and snorkeling. And of course everyone enjoyed the free ice cream! The food is very decent (taste and price-wise), especially at Chill Bar. DJ Gary at Chill Bar was also fantastic!

Overall service is pretty good although there were a few instances and individuals who could have been better. E.g. we were asked to pay for our transfers the minute we got to the resort, and once we were shown to our rooms we were asked to immediately fill up a form about our departure. And apparently this is a common practice. Not really what you'd expect from a luxury resort?

The resort is not small (97 villas), so at times, especially with large arrivals and departures it can get quite busy, but otherwise at the restaurants and facilities we didn't feel the crowd much. We have been to properties with half or one third the number of villas, so naturally those felt more exclusive.

For us we felt the journey to get to the resort was far too long and tiring, and we probably won't be back here considering there are many other resorts which are less trouble to get to. This is also a problem for other properties such as the Park Hyatt that rely on domestic flights and isn't uniquely Six Senses. If you have a few connecting flights to make you might want to opt for an earlier domestic flight as these seem to be delayed often. Thankfully our toddler was pretty fuss free on this trip.

Stay here for the luxurious, large water villas, great house reef, and overall good service, but only if you don't mind the trouble you have to go through to get here.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank MumsEd

​Dear MumsEd,

A sincere thank you for choosing Six Senses Laamu as your holiday destination in the Maldives. We are very much delighted to know that you ​and your family ​had an ​amazing stay with us.

Also, your special recognition for DJ Garry has been shared and he was very appreciative of your kind words for him.​

​We have taken on board your feedback regarding our procedure on requesting for the flight details of our guests. As a normal practice and if guests has not provided yet their departure flight during the booking stage, we request this details as early as possible after guest arrival as we would like to ensure that we can secure their seats for the domestic flight back to Male since flight transfers are combined with other passengers and are not exclusive for Six Senses Laamu guests. However, we are in contact with other domestic airline and the seaplane company in the hopes that they can soon operate and have connections in Laamu Atoll so we can offer our guests more options and eventually improve on the domestic transfers to and from Male to the resort.

​Since we are reliant at the moment on the transfer schedules of our airline partner, Island Aviation, ​as operation is solely being managed by them​, ​we ​make it a point to ​work closely and diligently with ​them to ensure best possible connections are provided for our guests. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the frustration and inconvenience caused to you with the ​long wait for your domestic transfer and we have a strong hope that this will be improved soon.​

Once again, thank you ​for your feedback ​and we are so grateful that you have spent your holiday with us. We sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to welcom​e​ you back ​to​ Six Senses Laamu ​in the not so distant future.​

M​arteyne van Well
General Manager, Six Senses Laamu​

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Picking a place in the Maldives was hard. The price and the fact that once you commit you're essentially trapped made choosing a place really hard.

I'm writing this review from an obnoxiously expensive business hotel in Singapore, and while I appreciate the different operating costs and all that, it really puts into perspective the value I felt I got for the money. I can honestly say that Six Senses knocked it out of the park. I really felt that the service, food and accommodation were fantastic. I guess I'm making this point because we've lived in Southeast Asia for a while and always avoided the Maldives as a vacation spot because we assumed it was not worth the money. I'll keep it simple and say this, I hate traveling and feeling trapped in a resort. I know some people love this, not me. Our five days flew by and I basically had to be dragged away, it was great. Yes, it is pricey, but they delivered.

All the reviews cover the great stuff. I'll add what I liked and what could have been improved.

Good\Loved:
- Casual atmosphere
- Environmental awareness. This helped sway me to go. At least they are trying. The whole concept of mass tourism in a place like this is inherently absurd (carbon and climate change, coral bleaching, importing everything).
- Ice cream
- Really great food. You could indulge, but you could also eat healthy fresh food which was great. In fact the greens - because they grow a lot of them - where better than what we get in Singapore. Which is crazy, because you're on an atoll in the middle of nowhere.
- Local food. Maldives food was delicious. Thank you for not bending to tourists who only want to eat their own food. If you don't like trying new things stay at home. I really appreciated this at dinner.
- Fantastic snorkeling and reef
- Bikes are great
- Reasonably priced drinks (again, for a Muslim country in the middle of the ocean, can't complain about $10 dollar beer).
- Options provided with dine around package
- Boat transfer was fun
- Vietnamese and Japanese food too!

Improve/Fix
- Email booking was tedious and slow
- Credit card via email is not secure. They should understand this for such a big operation, it is sloppy and risks compromising customer data.
- Hotel should do a quick environment briefing on arrival. I know, there will always be people who complain, but I think most people would appreciate it. I know, this info is available in the blue and green book.
- I was excited about the in house biologist but never actually saw the person. Seeing as I was in the water snorkeling 4 hours a day this would have been useful.
- Dive shop should teach novices how to snorkel so they don't damage the reef further. Take newbies into the sandy lagoon and educate them. Especially nationals from a certain Asian country of 1-billion plus inhabitants who like to stand on the coral and kick it with their fins.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stoneman60
SixSensesLaamu, General Manager at Six Senses Laamu, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear stoneman60,

We thank you for your recent stay at Six Senses Laamu and we are glad that we have not disappointed you for choosing us as your holiday destination.

It is a great pleasure to know that you have thoroughly liked our Six Senses concept and that you have truly enjoyed our villa accommodation, our unique experiences, our food and beverage offerings and warm-hearted service.

We sincerely apologize though for the issues you have encountered during your booking stage and we will make it a point to improve on our process.

Requesting for the credit card details from our clients is a normal practice as it is required to guarantee the booking. We can assure our clients that this process is safe as we have been doing this since the beginning and we never had issues so far with any of our guests.

It is a shame if you never had a chance to meet Rachel, our Marine Biologist, as she regularly conducts presentations on marine life preservation and environment awareness for our guests. Snorkeling lesson is also available through Ocean Dimensions, our partner for diving and watersports, and guests can register anytime through them.

Protecting our house reef is very important to us and it is indeed one of our major concerns as we cannot totally avoid for some guests to stand on the corals while snorkeling despite the information we provide in the rooms, at our Dive Center and at the regular weekly presentations being conducted by our marine biologist to educate our guests on how to preserve the coral reefs. We are continuously looking for more effective ways to protect our house reef and we will be putting up signage not to stand on the corals so as to provide more awareness and to highlight this to our guests.

We sincerely thank you for your keen observation, time and detailed feedback from your stay with us as the points you have raised will immensely help us improve on our services and offerings. Again, we thank you for choosing to stay with us and it would be our great pleasure if you will allow us to provide you once more with unique experiences and unforgettable memories on your next visit to Six Senses Laamu.

See you again soon….

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We did a lot of research on resorts in Maldives and after much debate set our hearts on Six Senses Laamu. Oh boy was it a great choice! The resort is absolutely amazing. We had the best vacation ever (and we've been to Hawaii numerous times). The weather was gorgeous and it rained only once for an hour or so, which actually was quite cool to experience.
We stay in an overwater villa on Jetty A. We asked for the sunset side and we got it. Uninterrupted views of the ocean and breathtaking sunsets. To be honest though the sky is amazing from pretty much anywhere on the island. Jetty A provides an easy access to the house reef and we snorkeled 2-3 times a day every day. We saw ridiculous amounts of fish, turtles, eagle rays, stingrays, octopuses and baby sharks. Outdoor shower is just awesome! The whole villa layout is great, very thoughtful and comfortable. Our personal GEM (guest experience manager) Masthooq was very attentive and available to us all the time. The dining experience was superb! We tried all restaurants on the island and cannot fault anything. The Maldivian cuisine buffet at Latitude is a must!
Some mornings I would go for a yoga session. The teacher Emily was great. I also tried Six Senses spa and it was wonderful too.
We would like to say special thank you to all the staff in the resorts, they are all super friendly and welcoming, and truly strive to make your stay unforgettable. We were not ready to leave after 7 days and wish we could stay there for an extra week.
The only drawback was the domestic flight back as it was not a direct flight to Male but a hopping one. So instead of 30 minutes it took 2 hours to get to the airport. But if we had to choose again we would definitely go with Six Senses!

Room Tip: Jetty A is great, particularly for a direct access to house reef. It's better to go for the Ocea...
2  Thank 99Valeria99
SixSensesLaamu, General Manager at Six Senses Laamu, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear 99Valeria99,

It was great reading your review and we are very pleased to know that you have really enjoyed your villa accommodation as well as your Spa and dining experiences.

The whole team, especially your GEM Mastooq and your yoga instructor Emily, are very happy to know that they were able to provide the best service from their hearts and make your stay with us memorable.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of the delay in your arrival to Male. As you may know, domestic transfers are being operated by the private company and our partner, Island Aviation, and the resort thus unfortunately has no bearing and relies solely on its domestic transfer schedule.

Again, we are truly appreciative of your comments and your positive recommendation of our resort. It is great to know that the time you spent here was worth it and we are all looking forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I had an amazing experience with Six Senses Laamu during our stay in November, 2013. Although Soneva Fushi Six Senses Resort is a bit fancier, more chic and organised, Laamu is less expensive and still is one of the best hotels in Maldives I've stayed in.
There are lots of very private areas on the island as well as more social rooms too. Our beach villa was spectacular! Most of the restaurants and bars are located on water in the same place, the only onshore restaurant is an organic one, located very close to the rest. There is a free ice-cream bar and you can enjoy more than 44 types of ice-cream as much as you like. Good training programs, lots of activities, everybody was very friendly.

I would like to say special thanks to a guy behind the pancackes stand on the breakfast for arranging for my coconut jam (I took several jars with me), to a Japanese girl bartender at the ice-cream bar and ice-cream chef.

We were disappointed with our GEM (guest attendant), he confused bookings, was late for our check-out, didn't inform us of events held on the island.
We were also very irriated with the watersports, they were refusing to go with my husband on catamaran, even though it is a paid service, until my husband finally lost temper and stayed at watersports untill staff provided services.
Generally we were very happy with our experience and would recommend this hotel.

Dear Elena K,

We are very happy to read that you consider Six Senses Laamu as one of the best in Maldives and that we were able to create an amazing experience for you and your husband.

Your kind comments for Ismath, our pancake chef, Miho, our Japanese Attendant in Ice and Rana, our Ice Cream Chef, have already been passed on to them who were all pleased to know that you have enjoyed their warm-hearted service.

However, we are very sorry to hear that we did not manage to meet your expectations regarding the service of your GEM and we sincerely apologize for this shortfall. I am also disappointed to know about your unpleasant experience with our Watersport staffs. I have well noted your points and I will make sure to discuss with them to be more sensitive on our guest requests in the future.

Again, let me sincerely thank you for taking the time to post a review for our resort and hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Our decision to stay at Six Senses Laamu came from our knowledge of the Six Senses premium brand and the great offer they were doing to upgrade B&B to Half Board for free in November 2013. booked with Destinology.co.uk

The stay in the resort was truly wonderful throughout ; at the end I will make some notes on things to watch out for.

1- Pretrip = I planned to propose to my girlfriend in Maldives and therefore emailed the resort in advance and also asked for a water villa in Jetty C. Initially the feedback from the sales team was slow and pretty unresponsive and we escalated to the General Manager and LIFE manager, which was attended to properly after that. When we arrived, all our requests was taken care of and we were given a villa in Jetty C facing open sea (rather than facing Jetty B) which was great. Our GEM, Ravah also knew I wanted to propose to my girlfriend, so good communication by the resort managers on this. Great
2 - Food = we were on half board, so on two nights had buffet = which was excellent. the ala carte on the other days were good as well, definitely go for the Zen restaurant as that was the tastiest and had amazing value for money (given $USD78 per person credit for half board). Drinks prices, given this is tourism resort - was acceptable. Water was free in the room, great!
3- Room = room was very good, housekeeping morning and turndown service evening were very good, and they are very careful and tedious so you can expect all used items replaced. also they had many selection of items that you could opt to receive e.g. weighin machines, first aid kit etc.
4- water sports = we tried canoeing and snorkeling. both were good, although we didnt get to see that many fishes, but we weren't the greatest swimmers so we were cautious and maybe didnt venture far enough.
5- activities = one of the highlights was the private island excursion we did, they dropped us off for 5 hours in a nice secluded island (where i proposed) and we had the whole place by ourselves. snorkelling here was great and the beach was just amazing! thoroughly recommend although quite pricey.
6- service = service here is top class. some of the workers will remember your name (although one called my fiance with the wrong name all the name) and they always greet you no matter where, which was good. our GEM, Ravah never missed my call one, so that is great - and he attended to all our requests in a timely manner, great!
7- weather was good for about 50% of our week there, and the other 50% was pouring rain and we had to cycle in the rain (although raincoat and umbrella provided), so you might get a little wet, but all in all pretty fun :)

sad to be back in London, but already looking forward to another trip to Maldives! :) only thing we had an issue with was the internal transfers...

note that this resort does not use seaplanes, so you will have to catch a domestic flight from Male Domestic terminal. the flight was delayed (was originally due 2 hours after our arrival) so we only left 4 hours after landing at Male (from BA flight lands 0940) - the plane was Maldivian Air on a Dash-Q300. the flight was ok, plane didn't seem too bad but it was a small plane approx 50 passengers. 30mins to get to domestic airport and then transfer to resort in about 20 mins via speedboat. only setback was waiting time to catch the flight. on the inbound flight at the end of holiday, had to take a flight that stopped further south before making way back to Male and it was windy - that was a little scary and took 2 hours in total + the plane was significantly older. so, all in all, we checked out at 10am to catch our international flight at 4:40pm. however, main concern was safety and no major issues occured.

Room Tip: Jetty C - privacy, but 7 mins on bicycle to get to restaurants Jetty B - quite private, much closer...

Dear darkwarrior2013,

It is a pleasure to read your very positive and detailed review of Six Senses Laamu and for which we truly believe that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

We are even more delighted that you have chosen us to be part of a very special event in your life, your proposal, and we are glad that we were able to help you made it a success!

We are also very happy to know that our villa accommodation, services, activities, food and beverage offerings were up to your satisfaction and these have met all your expectations.

We regret though that we were not able to deliver to you the best connecting flight for your domestic transfer back to Male. As you may know, domestic flights to and from our resort are operated by our airline partner, Island Aviation, thus we rely solely on their transfer timings. However, we do believe that this is an integral part of our guest experience hence we have addressed this issue with Island Aviation and we are working closely with them to ensure that we provide the best possible connecting flights to our guests. We sincerely apologize for this shortfall and for the inconvenience it has caused.

Again, let me thank you for your detailed feedback, thoughts and comments and we cannot wait to see you again for your honeymoon.

Our little paradise will be waiting for your next visit soon…

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Six Senses Laamu is paradise. Simple as that. A great place for a honeymoon or an anniversary, the resort makes the most of the natural and stunning surroundings. We went for a 5 day holiday "just for fun" and fun we had. We stayed in an over water villa on Jetty A, a "sunset" villa. We preferred this for the wide ocean views. Jettys B & C- also lovely, face each other so Jetty A is a must if you're looking for nothing but water and sky.

The entire staff, from the Manger, Marteyne, Steve at Watersports, Hiromi, Petra & Oleg at the dive center and Afra, our GEM (Guest experience manager) were friendly, helpful, and not over bearing. All are highly skilled at their jobs and give good advice for beginners and pros alike. If you go, do meet the adorable Abi in the chocolate and ice cream bar... you'll love her sweet nature almost as much as the over 40 flavors of ice cream!

If you can, you must take the day trip to the private island. Beautiful, secluded, a bottle of wine and a picnic make the day one you'll never forget. Walk the island and be a bit risky and skinny dip if you like! The island is all yours.

One tip: take your own reusable (non plastic) water bottle. The resort has a strong eco-ethos so all water is purveyed in glass bottles. It would have been nice to have my own non-breakable bottle to take out on my paddle board or while biking around the island.

If you're an active traveler of if you just want to sunbathe for hours you can find the vacation you're looking for here!

Room Tip: Choose Jetty A "sunset" villa for an unobstructed ocean view.

Dear TravelinChance,

A paradise indeed! And thank you for choosing us to be your holiday destination…

We are more glad to hear our guests singing praises for their experiences with us as there’s nothing more fulfilling than to know that we have succeeded in delivering the most memorable and most unique offerings to you.

Your kind words for Afra, your GEM, Abi, our Ice Attendant, Steve from Watersports and the Dive Team, Petra, Oleg and Hiromi, were shared with them and they were more than happy to know that they have helped made your stay special.

Myself and the whole team sincerely appreciate your high recommendation for Six Senses Laamu and we truly hope that you will give us the privilege of welcoming you back at the not-so-distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Olhuveli Island
11 mi away
Pallazo Laamu
Pallazo Laamu
#2 of 4 in Gan Island

Been to Six Senses Laamu? Share your experiences!