“Fab Fayre!”

Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Derwentwater Arms is a warm & friendly Pub / Restaurant set high in the village of Calver it has great views of the surounding peaks and edges.It is set back from the main road in the 'old' village, a real hidden gem.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Have been visiting Chatsworth Caravan club site for the last 10 years and have tried many pubs and restaurants in the area during that time. Today we were privileged to have a meal here. Not one negative about the place. Traditional pub, friendly, helpful staff. Homely surroundings, (I'm sure it's ambience is even better in the colder months with the fires lit)
Plenty of space and tables, which soon filled up. My granddaughter and myself had the steak and ale pie and I have to commend the chef/cook on both the pastry and filling....both were delicious. My husband indulged in the ploughmans lunch which is served with a slice of pork pie. We opted for the lite bite portions which were ample for lunch. I am quite critical and fussy what and where I eat, but today I think we actually found a place we can look forward to visiting on our next trip to the Peak District. Thank you for a delicious meal, and the high chair for Maddisons dollies!

kat k, Owner at Derwentwater Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent visit to the Derwentwater Arms in Calver. I am glad you enjoyed your experience in our cosy little pub.
I am glad you enjoyed our homemade food - with locally sourced produce and the passion we have from our kitchen team to make delicious homemade food. The Pork Pie is made by The Big Pig Pie Company which specialises in traditional pork pies for Weddings and Events (my husband is the handcraft's these pies for each event/the pubs menu).
I am glad you found our portion sizing generous and good value.
I am delighted you found us, enjoyed your experience and we look forward to your return visit - along with any highchairs needed.

Many Thanks,
Kat Keogh

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Excellent good value lunch . The ‘mini ‘ pie and mash was far from small . A substantial portion of food with fresh vegetables. We also had a delicious pork pie with ham ploughman’s , and broccoli soup.
Attentive and friendly staff.
Will definitely return.

Good Evening,
Thank you for taking to review our cosy little establishment - I am glad you enjoyed your homemade food and found it really good value! You have hit the nail on the head of what we aim to be here at the Derwentwater - excellent homemade food at reasonable prices with friendly staff to serve and make you feel welcome. We look forward to your return visit.
Many thanks,
Kat Keogh

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

This pub is in a very nice area, lovely surroundings.
The Lady and the Gentleman who served us were really nice and friendly, the food was brilliant as well. Clean tables, clean glasses, a full botttle of water prepared on every table so you could help yourself. They served us quickly. My partner had the best burger ever he said. There is a huge car park too so there shouldnt be a problem to park your car on a busy day. Definitely recommend this place even if you just go in for a drink.

kat k, Owner at Derwentwater Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Good Morning - thank you for taking your time to review us! It is fantastic to hear such great feedback. We find it is the little touches that go along way - from water ready and waiting on the tables to just being friendly. I am glad you enjoyed your burger - I will pass your kind comments on to all or staff. Thank you for your recommendation. Kat

Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

We didn’t find many pubs in the area that had play areas for our 2 children but this was brilliant! Great beer, friendly service and amazing pizzas! Really good to have a take away service as well as with a 1 year old we were having to go home relatively early each evening.

kat k, Owner at Derwentwater Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2018

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your recent review of the Derwentwater Arms - it is fantastic to hear such high praise indeed! Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed a pint of our delicious beer, fantastic service and our yummy pizzas!!! Takeaway options are always available - We have little ones too so we know how important it is to be able to make a quick getaway when needed!!! I am really glad you enjoyed your time here at the DWA. Thank you, Kat Keogh

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

We come pretty regularly for Sunday lunch, and are always made very welcome from all the team right through from Kat and the bar ladies through to the young lads waiting on. The food is the best value around for a Sunday Roast by far, and one of the nice things particularly is the fact that there’s always a mix of people dining, families are very welcome and in all the times we’ve been we have never seen badly behaved kids, (or adults, come to think of it!) . To me, it does the job of a community pub / hub very well and (in my opinion, that’s all) if some kids are being a little noisy, isn’t it nice to hear them happy and enjoying themselves too? Wouldn’t the world be a miserable place without hearing kids having fun. Anyway, I digress, but one thing I notice too is all the activities and local events the pub is involved with. If all pubs tried as hard there’d be far fewer shutting! Anyway, we will keep on enjoying the food and atmosphere of the Derwentwater (and to think I came on to say a few words and post a couple of photos.. do feel free to use them if any use!)

1  Thank ChrisC_2010
kat k, Owner at Derwentwater Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

Good Morning,
Thank you for taking your time to review the Derwentwater Arms.
I am glad you like our service, our food , value for money and what we are about - being a pub in the heart of the community that welcomes all.
We love creating community events for all to enjoy - the next ones being Bank Holiday Breakfast Club and the End of Summer Harvest and Ceilidh in September.

Families - children - everyone is always welcome here - we have the toy bags for the children inside, colouring and the play area outside. Tom and I having children ourselves it is very important we create a child friendly pub - something we will continue to do so.

The pictures are fantastic - I am sure they will get used! Thank you so much for reviewing us here at the Derwentwater Arms. Kat Keogh