Review Highlights
Kayaked and befriended a bird!

Reviewed 9 September 2018
DanielleLKC
Kansas City, Missouri
Highly recommended

Reviewed 3 September 2018
Trish F
via mobile

All reviews kayaking trip seals families lagoon boats gunner fun guide activity adults
Reviewed 9 September 2018

Our group of 4 adults had a great time on this 2 hour kayaking excursion led by Gunnar. We started in a calm lake, paddled through narrow marshy canals, through a short and gentle river, and into the bay of the ocean. Early on, a swan decided that I needed looking after and kept close to me through the whole trip, sometimes pecking at my kayak, my paddle, and once at me. (I'm not sure if it thought I was friend or enemy, but it wasn't freakishly aggressive like the Canada Geese that we encounter in the US.) I think it may have been a Whooper Swan or the quieter Mute Swan. Gunnar had never seen anything like it and was taking photos and videos of our new friend Snaty throughout. It made for a memorable excursion. Once we reached the sea, we encountered Maki, the resident seal, who swam around playfully with our guide. If you have good weather, this is a fun excursion for people of all skill levels. I would definitely book this experience again.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Our group of 4, two adults and two boys (14 and 10), loved our kayaking experience. We chose to take Gunnar with us to go out to the ocean rather than stay in the lagoon, and we definitely made the right decision. Trust: the lagoon would have been fine and we would have enjoyed it, but after going further to the ocean we were amazed. Thanks so much for being our guide!

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Nice little kayaking trip down a narrow river canal, a few rapids and our into the bay. Gunner was our guide. He was great. We missed the seals but it was a great trip. Very safe and relaxing.

1  Thank garywG2511QY
Reviewed 25 June 2018

I suggest this activity to families, friends, and couples (anyone really). It was not very difficult, although we got good weather. We had an encounter with seals which was a highlight.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

I have kayaked in many places around the world and this was a real highlight. The kayaks themselves are nothing special (sit on top versions) and the passage out to the coast winds its way through low lying paddocks for some time but once getting out to the coast, there were numerous seals in and around the kelp beds - but the special experience was encountering 2 seals who wanted to play endlessly with our kayaks and proceeded to chase the boats and leap after and around us. Truly unique.

Reviewed 2 October 2016

Our small group of "grown" women booked a "Group Challenge Experience" on our last full day in Southern Iceland. Our first challenge was getting into the winter kayaking gear and life jackets! By the time we were dressed, we looked like a professional team!

Gunner was a great guide and host! He was kind and helpful, professional and friendly. We really enjoyed spending time with him.

The waters in Stokkseyri are beautiful - an estuary full of quietly moving grasses. It was the perfect area for a group of people with varied skills. The entire event was a great way to relax a bit and experience Iceland from the quiet water.

I would heartily recommend Kayakferdir Stokkseyri to Icelandic travelers!

Reviewed 3 September 2016

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our kayaking trip. We started off in the lake which gave us time to get used to the kayak. Then we headed off to the sea with Gunnar and Maggi and the dog. The views were great and we saw lots of seals that came really close to the kayak. Gunnar took photos of us which was great. This was one of the highlights of our week in Iceland. I would definitely recommend it

Reviewed 25 August 2016

We did this on a whim and WOW are we so happy that we did! We had the most incredible adventure kayak with Maggi as our guide! He took lots of great photos and videos as we traveled along just as others have described. The first part of the trip was aeaceful kayak through a salt marsh and was very beautiful and full of good conversation. Once we got to the ocean though the real fun began. He led us to an area where he always finds seals and as promised they were there. One very curious and friendly seal came over to play on the wakes of our kayaks. My husband was able to get it to play around his boat and even come up onto a seaweed pile right along his kayak...we named the seal Maggi after our friendly guide! Just as we were getting ready to move along Maggi notice whale spouts off shore and we got to watch several large whales broach and and tail fin slap off the shore. It was an incredible sight and we could even hear their blow spouts several times!

We strongly recommend Maggi's adventure kayak tour and it was certainly a highlight of our trip!

Reviewed 25 August 2016

Me and my boyfriend went with Maggi guide on an amazing Kayak tour were we started on the water and ended the tour at the ocean!
We got all equipment there, dry suit and dry shoes. Maggi was very knowledgeable and fun! I really liked how relaxing it was to be at the water and then get some more challenges when going into the sea. A very good mixture of both :)
When we were at the sea a couple of seals were playing around the kayaks. Then one of them came all the way to the boats and followed us around an was playing and jumping around! It was so cute and so much fun :) I really recommend taking the a tour with these wonderful guys!

Reviewed 12 August 2016

After reading everyone's review of this company (Everyone giving it fantastic reviews) I thought for sure that I had accidentally found a different kayaking tour than the one I experienced. However - based on photos, people describing it's logistics, AND recognizing a photo of Mickey the dog (so sweet) - Nope, it's the right one. I'd recognize that tall grass anywhere - Mostly because that's what I stared at for my two hour kayaking "sea adventure".

After getting suited up by one of the kids (I assumed he was the son of the owner) We were given a 5 minute tutorial on how to kayak. "Left hand goes here, Right hand goes here..." My group was pushed off into the pond. We were farewelled with a "Have fun!" and then watched as he promptly left to go back to the garage where we were suited up.

So, without any guide to lead the way, my group spent the next two hours paddling around the 3 foot deep pond we were dropped off at, basically trying to find a route that would take us to the ocean. Because, you know, SEA Kayaking.

However, we were unsuccessful, and again, spent our two hour kayaking experience pushing our way through tall grass and trying not to get stuck in the moss.

Needless to say my group was thoroughly disappointed. There was no tour guide, no ocean, no animals to see. Just. Lots. Of. Grass.

Now the whole time I figured there MUST have been something we did wrong on our end, that we just didn't hear the instructions to get to the ocean or maybe we were supposed to wait for an actual guide to show up and take us out into the water..

Yet, once we finally had enough of getting ourselves lost in the grass, we paddled back to where we had started, only to be greeted by the same kid who had started us off on our adventure. And when I asked, "Were we supposed to get to the ocean?" He hastily said, "No! Did you??" So that settled that.

Maggi, if you're out there reading this, I have no idea what went wrong. But of the 10 days we spent in Iceland, this was easily the most disappointing part of our trip. I'd love to know what happened, if you were out of town and a couple kids decided to con some poor tourists.. it would make me feel SO much better to have some sort of answer.

My email is isit9or13@yahoo.com