“Wild wolf experience!”

UK Wolf Conservation Trust
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Beenham
More attraction details
Owner description: The UK Wolf Conservation Trust is home to a ten ambassador wolves, including Arctic wolves. It runs events aimed at promoting wolf awareness and raising money for wolf conservation, including walks with wolves for its members, howl nights, wolf discovery days. all these events have to be pre booked.Full details and advance booking can be found on our website. The Trust is also open every Wednesday 11am - 4pm for public to view the wolves & watch them being fed at 2pm. No pre booking is required. Adults £8, children age 3- 11 £5, under 3's free. Full details and advance booking can be found on our website. Please note we do not have a café, but can supply hot/cold drinks by donation.
Northants
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Wild wolf experience!”
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I gave the walking with wolves experience to my husband for Xmas. It is a great day out for animal lovers. To walk with and be able to touch these beautiful wild animals is a once in a lifetime experience. The walk around the fields and wood is lovely - even on a rainy November day it was attractive. The staff are very knowledgeable and helpful. We were welcomed with tea, coffee and biscuits. The introductory talk was pitched just at the right level and the work of the Trust is very interesting and they are doing some amazing work across the globe with this misunderstood species. The centre itself is very well run. I would love to visit again for one of the 'keeper for a day' experiences.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank HamsterNorthants

London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Superb - We Loved It!!!”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

What a brilliant find on Trip Advisor! We have lived only 20 minutes away for 15 + years and we didn’t know a thing about this very worthwhile activity until we read some reviews on our local attractions. The Farm is very professional and the Wolves are Majestic! We went here as a family and everyone really enjoyed the day. The small gift shop was really well priced so we bought lots of keep sakes to remember a fabulous day out. We will go again very soon.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank BR0wNTr0UT
Windsor, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Fantastic Day”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This was a present for my wife, I tried covering her in lard prior to the visit, but for some reason she objected. The place is just fantastic, if you own a domestic dog you just have to visit. You get to walk with the wolves, sort of pet them and then see them being fed, wonderfull.

The talk was informative and well structured, although the day was very wet we enjoyed every moment.
Ps, No always my cup of tea, but the shop had really good quality stuff to buy, not expensive but nice sweat shirts, T shirts and mugs that sort of thing.

Join go on the walk and help these brilliant animals.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Marki1997
Abingdon, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great day out, don't miss their open days”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

A unique opportunity to get up close to these magnificent animals and learn about them from their knowledgeable and passionate handlers

1 Thank Andrew C
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Disabled visit”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Visits to the Wolf Conservation Trust need to be pre-booked.

Twice a year the Wolf Conservation Trust has disabled access "Walking with wolves" days. They have other such days for able bodied visitors where more activities are involved. They also have other activity days, so check their web site.

When booking the day I was sent directions. I used the post code in my sat nav and was directed to the middle of the village of Beenham. Realising that I was not surrounded by wolves I got out my printed copy and saw that I should have turned down the drive of Butlers Farm. Having noticed a small sign with the farm name a few minutes earlier I turned round and returned to the entrance. Luckily there was someone near the gate that I could ask for confirmation and so we were back on route. There is no signage for the Wolf Conservation Trust until you are in their car park.

Having arrived late (not just because of the above) we just managed the introductory lecture on wolves before the outdoor activity began. I am quite well informed about wolves but still learned from the lecture, which was well presented. At the end of the lecture the forthcoming activities and safety rules were explained. With the joining instructions were safety instructions too. We had been told not to wear bright clothes but one of our fellow visitors was wearing a Ferrari top in bright red with an even brighter yellow shield! We had been told that we could be refused access if we did not comply with requirements but “Mr. Ferrari” was admitted.

The next stage was to walk to a field where 2 selected wolves were waiting with their handlers. There were two handlers per wolf plus others observing proceedings. The wolves were very nervous of wheelchairs but after a while were prepared to walk up to them to investigate them and their users. I noticed that one of the wolves was showing a lot of interest in “Mr. Ferrari”, gazing intently at the shield in the middle of his chest!

My wife, in her chair was rewarded with a couple of wolf kisses and I even got to stoke the belly of one of them. Amazing!

We then proceeded round outside of the enclosures of the other wolves. These are large and wooded so the wolves can only be seen if they want to be. Most of them cooperated with us including one that was known to be very shy, so we were lucky. Due to the uneven ground during this stage we had to reverse the chair all the way round. This was slow but had the advantage that we were away from the chatty group ahead of us and seen as less threatening by our four legged hosts.

While out and about I also saw two red kites flying close above us, presumably looking for carrion. Although I had read about these birds and seen pictures, nothing had prepared me for their huge wingspan. The wolves had no choice in being there but the kites were wild, which made the site of them all the more impressive.

Back in the reception/shop refreshments were served. We also bought a few souvenirs, including Christmas cards showing wolves in the snow.

It was now getting late and we decided to eat locally rather than join the rush hour. We decided to try The Bull at Stanford Dingley, on which there is a separate review.

Visited September 2012