“Wonderful experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of UK Wolf Conservation Trust

UK Wolf Conservation Trust
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Beenham
More attraction details
Owner description: The UK Wolf Conservation Trust is home to a ten ambassador wolves, including the first Arctic wolves in the country. It runs events aimed at promoting wolf awareness and raising money for wolf conservation, including walks with wolves for its members, howl nights and open days where everyone is welcome.Our Open Days in 2013 are Monday 26th August and Sunday 6th October from 11am to 5pm. Full details and advance booking can be found on our website.
London, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Went to one of the trusts open days - these happen roughly 3 times a year. Was a lovely experience. We got to see the wolves up close as the handlers feed them & allow small groups near the enclosure so you can get some great pics. Wolves are well cared for and have alot of space. The staff had a lot of knowledge about the wolves and were on hand for any questions.
They also had some stalls open and photos with other animals ie snakes, Iguana's & huskies. You could also spend some time with the huskies there. They had ferret racing & birds of prey display. All in all a fantastic day. Would love to return for one of the walks.

4 Thank LeighDavies

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“WOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I had a days photo session with the Wolf Conservation Trust.
Armed with my camera and warm clothing due to the snow I had an amazing day with the wolves.
The photo shoot was separated into their pens and we were given fantastic information about each of the wolves.
The volunteers knowledge is fantastic and they are extremely helpful.
As I attended during the snow we had the opportunity of walking with Nuka which is an experience I will never forget.
This was a Christmas present that I will never forget.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Paul P
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Loved it!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I've just returned from the Open Day. We both love animals and I purchased the tickets as a Birthday gift for her (and me!). We stayed nearly 4 hours, the time flew by and in that time, we saw how well cared for the wolves were, had opportunities to take loads of photos, saw a falconry display, watched the "Ferrets Race". Regarding the ferrets, we were also able to learn a lot about them from the enthusiastic volunteers. Last but not least, having spent a lot of time admiring and watching the wolves, my friend bravely had a photo taken of her holding a tarantula!!
The weather helped but I loved every minute of here and have no hesitation in recommending it. Yes, if you're squeamish about using Portaloos (on an Open Day) you may have a problem but apart from that, I can 100% recommend this for a visit.

1 Thank SurreyRonnie
Bristol, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Sunny October Sunday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

The wife booked two tickets in advance to one of the trusts open days. Always been a fan of wolves and was looking forward to it immensely. It was October so we weren't expecting much of the weather but in the end it turned out to be a sunny 20 degrees.

The venue is fairly well signposted and only ten minutes from junction 12 of the M4, down a few country lanes and onto a lumpy and bumpy field which was acting as the car park. The weather helped us here as I imagine after a period of rain it could get pretty muddy and damp underfoot. The guys marshalling the car park were very organised and hand everything under control. The venue was open from eleven until five, we arrived just after twelve and the car park was already very busy. It's a few minutes to the entrance and buggy users and anyone not fully mobile might struggle a little with the uneven surface and ankle length grass. I don't know whether there is any disabled access, but I would advise wheelchair users to ask first.

At the entrance there were two queues, one for pre booked and one for cash. The queues were a little indistinct but we were in in no time. There was a shop next to the entrance which had all the wolf related merchandise that you could want. We were given a map and an issue of the trusts magazine and were on out way.

It was very busy but you could still get to the enclosures to see the animals, although bear in mind the enclosures are large and the wolves we saw moved around a lot, though they did seem to like posing for the cameras. Each enclosure was lush and green and the wolves looked well cared for. There were volunteers all along the front of the enclosures ready to ask questions and just generally chat to anyone who felt the need. The ones we listened to seemed very knowledgeable and friendly to a fault. Between a couple of the enclosures there are photography areas where at strategic points there are small lens sized holes in the fence to enable you to get that special shot. There is also a viewing platform above the enclosure that hoses the white wolves which again allows for better photos and also a different angle of observation.

Try and remember that this is not a zoo, the clue should be in the title really but one woman next to me said to her husband. "Where are the other animals?" I kid you not. There were birds of pray displays throughout the day and the chance to hold one on your arm. There was also ferret racing, The chance to hug a husky, Quite a few stalls selling different bits and bobs, there was also an archery area and a hut with small child friendly animals. In fact wolves aside the assemble stall and sideshows both animal and non animal are the sort you would find at an agricultural show. Pleasant to walk around and something to lengthen your stay if you were all wolfed out.

There was a large fast food trailer and plenty of places to sit. There was also a large picnic area at the bottom of the hill which was being well used.

I enjoyed watching the wolves and took a multitude of pictures, We spent a pleasant couple of hours slowly walking up and down. It was busy and there were lots of children running around which is a bit of a negative for me. All in all it was a great visit and in a year or so I'll no doubt be back.

It's a walk back up hill to the car park and on the way out a couple of mean speed bumps to be wary of. Bear in mind to match what you wear to the weather and be prepared to queue to take pictures in the designated areas.

Enjoy

5 Thank Roy13c
Guildford, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“ok but a bit strange”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

It sounded good on paper, the mysticism of meeting proud noble beasts, the dulcet tones of David Attenborough narrating the experience in your imagination, and so on...

The reality was a tad more peculiar and as with most things, it was the human side of things that tainted it for us.

My girlfriend pointed out to me that the whole "conservation" angle seemed a bit tenuous, as the wolves are essentially penned into a zoo like environment and gawped at in return for a fee, all in a Country where they are no longer and will never be reintroduced to the wild due to public opinion on safety.

We did a "wolf walk" day, which involved meeting at a hut full of merchandise (aka tat), being given a simple health and safety briefing (having I think signed away your right to sue immediately beforehand), and then we were introduced to the wolves who sniffed us each in turn and then proceeded to be walked around the local fields ad nauseum on chain leads with a couple of handlers on each. After a while the novelty wears off and we just wanted to go home.

Many guests ignored the advice not to wear leather, but alas none were eaten during our visit.

The wolves themselves were great though. They are of a much more powerful stature than say a husky, but my favourite aspect was the strong dismissive look in their eye that left you in no doubt that this animal was wild, and had to be respected. For me it was worth it just to sense that alone.

We each got to stroke them, although personally I regret doing so. It seems off kilter to me that essentially wild animals should be encouraged to be groped by a string of humans regularly just so that the humans feel they had an "experience" worthy of the price tag.

The staff and volunteers seemed lovely but their constant gushing allied to the cooing of half the guests, wore a bit thin and caused us to leave before the end.

I think though it's a case of different strokes for different folks, many people would love it there I'm sure.

Visited June 2013