“Just wonderful”

UK Wolf Conservation Trust
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Beenham
More attraction details
Owner description: The UK Wolf Conservation Trust is home to a ten ambassador wolves, including Arctic wolves. It runs events aimed at promoting wolf awareness and raising money for wolf conservation, including walks with wolves for its members, howl nights, wolf discovery days. all these events have to be pre booked.Full details and advance booking can be found on our website. The Trust is also open every Wednesday 11am - 4pm for public to view the wolves & watch them being fed at 2pm. No pre booking is required. Adults £8, children age 3- 11 £5, under 3's free. Full details and advance booking can be found on our website. Please note we do not have a café, but can supply hot/cold drinks by donation.
Reviewed 25 October 2013

No, it's clearly not the same as travelling across the world to see wolves in their natural habitat, but it's close. The large enclosures give the wolves a fair amount of space: the foot or so next to the perimeter fences is trodden down of course, but the rest of their terrain remains relatively unspoilt - you wouldn't think from (some!) photographs that they weren't taken in the wild. I went on a photography day, organised by Bob Brind-Surch and he clearly has not just an affinity for wildlife but a close working relationship with the UKWCT, not to mention his photographic expertise and help.

I was impressed by the fact that even though I arrived very early, staff were already there and offering a welcome cup of coffee and they put on a video to fill the time until everyone else arrived. That the staff clearly loved their job, their wolves and showed such respect for the animals in their care. That it is non-commercial: yes, there is a shop, but to buy anything you had to approach a staff member, no-one was waiting there just to take your money. To explain non-commercial, the UKWCT regards their animals as ambassadors for their species and their aim/purpose is to raise money to support wolf conservation in the wild in areas that still have wild wolves, those wolves invariably being under human threat.

Loving wolves as I do, it sent a shiver down my spine to get put of the car and see a wolf about a metre away, come over to see the new arrival. I am not sure about walking with wolves. Even the ones that can be walked with are still semi-wild and need two staff members to manage them and, as the staff are so respectful, the wolves just do as they please. Being eyeball to eyeball to a wolf, albeit through a wire fence, seeing that calm inspection of you, that majesty of deportment, is sufficient.

Highly recommended if you love wolves and cannot afford to travel half the world for a chance to glimpse them in the world. And you contribute to their conservation.

1  Thank Sandalholme

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I went to the open day on the 6th of October and loved it.

The wolves looked very happy and relaxed, with plenty of land to roam around in. The staff on site were incredibly knowledgeable about the wolves and were more than happy to answer any questions the onlookers had. They also fed the wolves little treats, to ensure the waiting crowds got some great photos.

There were also stalls with local bee keepers, hedgehog trust and lots of creepy crawlies to hold. The ferrets were very cute, but didn't seem to be in the mood for racing down the obstacle course that had been set up for them. Unfortunately we timed our visit inbetween the bird of prey shows, but just seeing them up close was impressive.

Maybe £10 for a fairly short visit was a little expensive, but the money all goes to a good cause so I couldn't really criticise that.

I will definitely be looking into becoming a full member so that I can take a walk inside the wolf pens!!

2  Thank Hicksy77
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I joined the UK Wolf Conservation Trust in October 2012 and went on to book a photography day for January 2013. When the wolf walk dates for 2013 were released I saw that I could make a weekend of it, so booked a walk for the Saturday. Sadly, for those who had only booked the walk day, the depth of snow and the forecast lead to the walk day being cancelled. The photography day however was allowed to go ahead, due to the smaller numbers involved.

Wolves in general like the snow. Arctic wolves, unsurprisingly, are in their element in the snow; and we lucky few photographers were in our element as we were introduced to each pack in turn.

During the day the handlers brought out Nuka, the Alpha male of the Beenham pack, to meet us. During the course of a walk through the snow I was able to meet Nuka, and had my photo taken with him.

I took a few hundred photos during the few hours I was there; the wolves feeding; playing; getting food from the ice covered pond; howling and of course Nuka during the walk.

The staff (mostly volunteers) were extremely friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

As you might have guessed I became a big fan of the UKWCT that day; my next review will be of the postponed wolf walk.

5  Thank Captain_Smurf
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

My family and I visited for the open day on the 6 October. The first impression I got was how proffesionally it was run - from the car park marshalls, lots of well knowledged staff/volunteers to the well stocked shop! The wolves were magnificent and obviously well looked after in their own habitat. I can't believe we haven't been before now, and we'll definately be going back! Just to note that it was a lovely dry day, but if visiting when raining it would be advisable to wear wellies or boots. All in all, a fabulous visit!

3  Thank Selstonion
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Went to one of the trusts open days - these happen roughly 3 times a year. Was a lovely experience. We got to see the wolves up close as the handlers feed them & allow small groups near the enclosure so you can get some great pics. Wolves are well cared for and have alot of space. The staff had a lot of knowledge about the wolves and were on hand for any questions.
They also had some stalls open and photos with other animals ie snakes, Iguana's & huskies. You could also spend some time with the huskies there. They had ferret racing & birds of prey display. All in all a fantastic day. Would love to return for one of the walks.

4  Thank LeighDavies