“Idyllic”

Ranked #1 of 1 Playhatch B&B and Inns
birmingham
“Idyllic”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My husband and I booked a one night stay through groupon for our first wedding anniversary, which included a 3 course meal, and bed and breakfast. When we arrived Saturday lunchtime the Car park was packed and the pub very busy, which is always a good sign. We were seen to immediately and shown to our room. Very impressed! A self contained little lodge which feels really secluded and had lovely shabby chic decor. Our meal was lovely and although it was included in our package, the prices without this were reasonable for the portion size and quality of the produce. The staff were happy to oblige when my husband asked for staff to put a Bottle of champagne in our room while we were out, and put it in an ice bucket for our return which was a nice touch. Overall I would say it represented excellent value for money, and we will be returning with or without a groupon deal in the future

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank madge24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Visited here for dinner with a party of ten for a birthday treat. A welcoming and relaxed atmosphere, excellent service from all the staff that we met. Extensive menu offering a wide range of dishes. Food and drinks were very good indeed, all served smoothly and efficiently. Prices reasonable. Looking forward to going back here again soon.

In summary, very good food and excellent service.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TheChampions11
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Visited the area with friends and decided on the off chance to see what The Crown had to offer and overall we weren't disappointed. The interior has a number of seating areas and is obviously a busy place - we were there on a Sunday evening between the afternoon crowd leaving and the evening crowd arriving so bagging a table wasn't too much of a problem. Service was prompt and after ordering a round of drinks (including well kept Oxford Gold) it did take a while to decide on the meal selection.

The problem wasn't so much the amount on the menu but the variety of tasty looking offerings that made it difficult to make a decision!. Some of the items are South African dishes and having lived there for many years I appreciate the cuisine (the hearty fare is not exactly for the health concious). I know a boerewors starter would leave me full and so opted for bobotji (excuse the spelling?) a mince and rice dish. The others had chicken, burger and steak, all of which were cooked to perfection. Although we didn't have wine, the list was varied and entry prices reasonable.

A great find and we'd be happy to have The Crown as our local!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank nnmercman
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We are regulars really, we always go to the Crown if we want a nice meal. The food is always nice, the roasts are to die for. It has a good menu, great wine list and the positives go on and on .....
However, we stopped by last night on the off chance we could get a table. We were told 20 minutes wait, which eventually turned into 1hour and 20 minutes wait. We wouldn't mind but we were not kept informed and had to ask twice. To be honest, if we knew the wait was going to be that long we would have gone elsewhere.

I selected surf and turf (not least because by the time we got a table I was starving) ... the beef was wonderful but on the menu it is specifically described as 8oz rump steak and THREE whole tiger prawns .... I take this description straight off the advertised menu. Well its not true! I was served two prawns :-( when I mentioned it I was told "Ah well they are large ones and the chef has decided that two is appropriate"

So, you charge for one thing specifically described on your menu but serve something less. I can't tell you how annoying that is ... I came away feeling 1. I was duped/robbed even 2. The chef was arrogant enough to decide he could serve me what he felt was ok irrespective of whats on his menu and 3. when I raised it I got fobbed-off frankly.

What a shame ....... I considered this place my favourite until last night :-( feeling very disappointed to be honest.

4 Thank Jayn1e
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We tried this place when it was first taken over and were not overly impressed, but we recently went back and loved it all, HUGE menu and good service, the South African chap was a delight, and the food was spot on.

If I had to moan, I would ask you throw that Olly Murs CD you were playing as far as it will fly.

Other than that, loved it ! Check it out.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I booked this as a birthday surprise for my husband on Groupon and was worried having read some other reviews about Groupon guests. I needn't have been as we had an excellent time. The staff were really friendly and helpful and we had full reign of the menu (except for fillet steaks). The food was delicious, service was good. We had a really nice room. Would have been nice to have an iPod dock but this is completely frivolous! We missed the breakfast the next day due to a mix up but they very kindly cooked us breakfast anyway. Highly recommend it.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We came here on the Groupon voucher, I got this as a birthday treat for my boyfriend. When initially booking via e-mail and asking a few questions I had very little help, with some questions ignored, and others answered but very briefly. This did raise initial concerns, these were also felt upon arrival with the girl who showed us to our room who gave us no information and couldn't have seemed more bored by what she was doing. After all this however the who trip was an absolute delight. The room was lovely, the gardens beautiful (even despite the poor weather). We had a drink at the bar, where the bar man was very friendly and helpful. We had a great dinner that was really tasty, and the staff so helpfully and efficient. The breakfast the next morning was also very lovely, though I did feel sorry for the waitress on her own rushing around, but she did a great job dealing with everyone and being cheerful and friendly. Over all was a great trip, with initial impressions being proved very wrong. And I look forward to returning again. Thanks for a lovely weekend.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Katherine M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playhatch
French Horn Hotel
#3 of 32 in Reading
Ibis Reading Centre
Ibis Reading Centre
#11 of 32 in Reading

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!