“Best Cuban stay in three trips!”
Review of Hostal Mayito

Hostal Mayito
Ranked #4 of 26 Playa Larga B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I had previously thought of using a Casa Particular instead of hotel for my annual fishing trip with pals, but as a couple of the guys were not sure about the chances of picking up food bugs, I proceeded to go with the local hotel. When I found that there was not enough space there for my whole group I was secretly quite pleased. Then we met Mayito, Norayda and Alejandro, and their fantastic place. It is difficult to know quite where to begin!
The food! What food! Cuban cuisine has generally been average, even in the better places we have eaten, but here at Casa Mayito it was superb! The breakfasts were amazing, more than enough for the group of fishermen who would be out in the sun all day, standing in the skiffs awaiting bonefish to cast at! There was so much choice - and variety. Evening meals were all that you could ask for! Several of the guys had fresh lobster most nights, and the fresh fish from the fishermen in the harbour was always the best!
The rooms were spotlessly clean...that is quite something to achieve with the way the group were always dashing about sorting out fishing gear, getting ready for a few beers and so on! Our clothes were taken away and washed and ironed (we didn't have a clue that this was a service that was offered!!!, and it was only about the third or fourth day that we realised it was happening!).
There was nothing too much for the family to consider doing for us! One of my group was badly bitten by the mosquitos and his eyes became severely swollen, so Norayda sorted out some cream to help him...no money was asked for for this service. Seeing as how difficult medicines are to come by in Cuba (according to most of our fishing guides) we were impressed.
My one real concern is that I want to return here next year on my trip, but the more reports I read, the more busy I guess the place will be! I had better make a booking very soon!
One of the group had a birthday during our stay. A wonderful cake was produced and we were entertained by a couple of local musicians. Wonderful evening!
The casa is ideally placed for fishing at Las Salinas or the new place recently opened - San Lazaro. The view out to sea as the sun rises in the morning is something to behold.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MartinCottis

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We arrived at this casa and were lucky enough there was still availability as this place is highly popular and for a reason. The owners of the casa are very friendly and will help you with everything to make your stay in the casa and playa larga a great experience. The rooms are clean (cleaned every day), air conditioned, beds are comfortable, shower perfect (with warm water), a safety deposit box and above all excellent food for breakfast, lunch and diner. We can highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: A fourth room was being created at the time we stayed at this place and a sneak preview revealed thi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caspar81
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My experience in this casa particular was excellent! I knew Mayito, Norayda and their son Alejandro... they're very kind and gentle and polite and can bring you to discover all the Cuba qualities: beauty, food, sports (diving, snorkeling, etc). The rooms, at the 1st floor, are everyday cleaned and have security box, bar, air conditioned and... a good bed. Between the 6:30pm and 8:00pm about take care of the mosqitos; close the windows! All Playa Larga is a very beautiful and quite area and you can relax to spend some time in sun bath on the beach, snorkeling, diving, bike riding, kite surfing or simply joining the food and drink, expecially the fantastic mojito that Mayito can do for you!
So please, if you go to Cuba, spend some days in this house!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Atlantis1971
Reviewed 6 April 2014

It included an excursion to see the Bay of Pigs museum and other experiences and was in a good setting for beach walks and local birdwatching. We were offered and gladly accepted evening meals. The food was excellent. we are vegetarians and they coped with this imaginatively. The dishes were original, tasty and very satisfying.

Room Tip: Room at the front of house overlooking the road is good and has its own balcony/eating area. You ma...
1  Thank Bob L
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Playa Larga is a cozy place to stay and Hostal Mayito is definetely the best Casa in Kuba. It is close to Zapata N.P. which is worth to visit. The rooms are very nice, the bed is good, the food is great and with a huge variety each evening. They have their own vegetables and herbs in the garden which makes the difference. The Pina Colada was the best on our whole trip. We did a snorkel trip with Mayito which was marvelous. We enjoyed every minute at Mayitos Casa that we decided to come back in June this year. Thanks to Mayito and his wife for the fantastic time.

2  Thank MundM1995
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This, along with two or three other places in Caleton, has wonderful views of the sea with a covered porch to eat on and very friendly and helpful staff. Lovely place. It was unfortunately fully booked during my stay, but I would recommend it highly from my visit there, touring the place, and having drinks on the rooftop deck with people staying there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank DcMbb
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hostal Mayito for 4 nights in Feb. 2014. The staff are all very friendly, and the place spotless clean. We ate all our meals there as there are few restaurants close by, and the food was excellent and plentiful! (The fish was particularly good!)

There are 4 rooms on an upper floor (the family lives on the lower main floor) with guests all sharing a very pleasant terrace which doubles for eating. Rooms 1 and 4 are the newest and are bigger with more privacy, I would def ask for one of those. We were in room 2 which offered little privacy and was a bit noisy one evening when guests lingered after dinner chatting ... But not much problem.

Mayito himself speaks excellent English, and can arrange anything you need! Bird watching guide, history tour (this is on the Bay of Pigs), snorkelling etc. Unfortunately for us, he was away for most of our stay there, but his lovely wife did her best with her limited English and our even more limited Spanish. Their 18 year old son led us on a history tour in a 54 Chevy, which was very interesting, and his English and knowledge is very good.

The beach is just down the street, and I particularly enjoyed watching village life pass by from the varander. If you are looking for a cosy interaction in a Cuban home, this is not it, but if you want a clean and friendly place to stay while you explore the area then I highly recommend Hostel Mayito!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 4 are the newer rooms - larger, quieter and with more privacy.
2  Thank freedom8
#2 of 6 in Cayo Largo
Hotel Pelicano
Hotel Pelicano
#1 of 6 in Cayo Largo

Been to Hostal Mayito? Share your experiences!