Guanaba's nest(Playa Giron)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewstree ratslobstergreat place to staycasa particularair conbeach towelsdive instructorprawnsmini zoothe busseparate houseminute cyclesleepy townthank you very muchspeaking englishcomfortable accommodationlocal diving
Reviewed 17 June 2018

We are returning to Playa Giron and Ivette's Casa in September, I was disappointed to read a review which heavily criticized Ivette's Casa when the vast majority have nothing but praise, more so with very limited access the the internet they have little or no opportunity of reply. This is a very friendly house not a Hotel if you expect 5 star hotel accommodation then this isn't for you Varadero is the place. If you want friendly happy house were you can be part of the family and want to meet real Cubans then you will be made welcome and become friends. Its your choice in your hands.

Room Tip: Join in and be part of the family you will be welcomed
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2018

*Perfect location, 10 minute cycle to Playa los Cocos and 5 minute cycle to the Cadeca/ATM
*All the staff are incredibly kind and will help you out with everything - booking taxis/diving etc.
*Delicious breakfasts and dinners - I ate all my meals here and they were a highlight (especially the lobster!)
*Really cool mini zoo at the back
*Big clean room with air con and big bathroom

Love this place!

Room Tip: I had the big room in the main house at the back
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank peaseblossom19
Reviewed 13 February 2018

We stayed at this casa for 5 nights in the middle of our trip to Cuba. Unfortunately, despite its high ratings on here and a listing in the October 2017 Lonely Planet, I didn't like the place. I am trying to be very fair here and have waited until we'd experienced all 5 casas and their hosts before putting pen to paper.

I have now read back the more negative previous comments and I'm afraid I must agree with them regarding the attitudes of the owners. Small business has been allowed in Cuba since 2011 and it's clear that Ivette and Ronel have done very well for themselves. They now have a set of houses rather than just one room (as I assume they will have started) and they employ several staff (all of whom were lovely).

Hosting:
Where I think they've got muddled is with their own roles and their customer service now that they have a bigger place. Despite the staff not speaking English (apart from Adrian who checked us in), Ivette only spoke to us once when I asked her a direct question, despite us being around and about her own house for 6 days, and Ronel not at all. She showed no interest in helping me sort out the bill (which was incorrect initially in several places) with her staff, even though she was there walking around eating her breakfast.

In contrast to every other host of a casa in Cuba that we stayed in, I did not find the owners either warm, welcoming or hospitable. I think if you're there you either need to host properly or you need to stay out of the way. Neither my friend nor I felt comfortable around the exterior of their casa as it was unclear whether we were really okay to use the furniture since the chairs were generally taken by the owners. It made things uncomfortable.

Room:
We stayed in the Azure room, which is at the back of the original house. This room has no natural light (an issue for me as I'm claustrophobic), an extremely dark (although good) bathroom and is also situated about 20 feet away from a set of 3 crocodiles in a pen, an area of tree rats, and an area of rabbits. Whilst I had heard mention of the 'crocodile farm' I was not expecting it to be this close to our room and I did not like it. Had I realised what it was like I would have either requested to stay somewhere else or in one of the rooms in the other building.

Noise:
There was also quite a lot of noise from time to time, we were woken by the sound of the fridge, the adjacent aircon, and some of the workers starting at 7am on some days. One evening the owners and their friends sat around drinking rum immediately outside our room when it was clear that we had gone to bed. I don't think this is on.

Overall I would recommend you stay somewhere else in Giron - it's a lovely little place but it's full of casas and there are many more good ones to choose from.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank woganmog
Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

Ivette & Ronel house is a great place to stay! There, guests can find all what they need, everything! Information, comfortable and modern rooms and excellent food. The staff and the owners are friendly and polite and they will always help you in everything. If you go to Playa Giron don't miss the oportunity to visit them, Ivette will help you to make your vacation unforgettable!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2017

Stayed here 2 nights in March- we had a lovely spacious room in a separate house to the main house, which were clean and comfortable, fridge, kettle & safe in the room. Ensuite bathroom. Patio to sit out on.
Breakfast served in the main house which was great for talking to other travellers. Breakfast was fresh every morning: juice, bread, cheese, eggs - however you wanted them cooked, coffe / tea. The host ( not Ivette or Ronel , as he was recovering from an operation) was wonderful spoke excellent English, we borrowed bicycles and cycled to a nearby beach, snorkels & beach towels were free to borrow. Went round the museum & caught the local bus to another beach for the day. Excellent for snorkelling, lots of diving opportunities if interested. Would recommend & defiantly stay again.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends