“Very cool! And really nice people on staff”
Review of The Tourist Trap - CLOSED

The Tourist Trap
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Bar, Seafood, International, Pub
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Readington, New Jersey
“Very cool! And really nice people on staff”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We first stopped here after my SIL stepped on an urchin - we stopped in for advice and vinegar. They apparently have this happen often, and gave us some paper towels and a little container of vinegar. We came back for lunch and had wonderful, jam-packed lobster rolls! Holy smokes were they packed. And light on the mayo, which is just the way we like it. Lots of signs and doodads to look at while waiting for food. They also help island cats, and we saw a few of those cuties laying around. Oh, and a ton of finches coming in to eat out of the feeder in the tree. After lunch, we had cocoa avocado ice bars, which were worth trying if you're not into sugar - this is real food. Not too sweet, but a cooling treat. I'm sure not everyone likes it, but I did, and I will be making those for my daughter at home. Going to try the pudding version too. Thank you Tourist Trap staff for helping with the urchin; and for helping the cats!

2 Thank had_47

Southfield, Michigan
“Not sure what the "pork" sandwich is but definetly not from a pig”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The owner and staff are pleasant but the food and atmosphere needs a lot of work to say the least. If your just plain starving and just can't get to better food this is the place for you.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Lobster rolls in paradise!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The Tourist Trap is a great place to stop for a lobster roll or BBQ sandwich after snorkeling at Salt Pond Bay! Mary and Larry provided great service, food and drinks. Mary even offers to take a group photo. Just don't plan your trip to the east side of the island on Monday or Tuesday, the Tourist trap is closed those days.

• Visited July 2014
Ridgefield, Connecticut
“Don't Be Fooled by the Appearance”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

A friend of mine says I take him to places on St. John, that based upon their appearance, he would never think of stopping at, but they turn out to be great. The Tourist Trap is one of those places. A small shed that houses the kitchen and plastic tables and wooden picnic benches covered by tarps to shield you from the sun. You wouldn't stop there because you were enticed by the appearance. But the food, drinks, ambience and service is top notch.

Larry, the proprietor, and inventor of the "Drink Right, Drive Left", is a charming host. I highly recommend anything with pulled pork on it, such as the nachos, pulled pork sandwich and the T3. On the last trip to St.John with my family we eat here 3 times. After a few hours at the beach, a Drink Right is cold and refreshing, but not sweet and always consistent. The nachos with pulled pork, veggies and cheese are almost a meal but I also can't resist the T3 which consists of a taco, pulled pork and home made tangy cole slaw. Larry's special sauce is served on the side. My wife found the lobster rolls the tastiest he had since we visited the Maine coast.

I give the place 5 stars, not because it is the best restaurant I have ever eaten in, but because it is one of the best places on St. John and just feels so right in this tropical paradise.
Stop by the Tourist Trap for a relaxing respite, enjoy the special drinks, the view, the company and Larry.

1 Thank Joseph C
New York City, New York
“Fish tacos!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We visited the Tourist Trap two times. The fish sandwich was quite salty. I liked the fish tacos better. The service was friendly. The lady waitress from Poughkeepsie was quite nice and recommended we give Francis Bay a try for sea turtles and she was right: In fact it ended up being the only place we saw a turtle. There’s a nice view and also hundreds of bananaquits at a sugar bowl and a friendly house cat or two wandering around. Kids will enjoy this place too.

Visited July 2014