“Amazing food and cocktails!”

Skipper's Brit Pub at Sweet Plantains
Price range: US$8 - US$40
Cuisines: Caribbean, Indian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Steve and Adie look forward to welcoming you to their newly renovated British Pub right on the water in Coral Bay. The menu features Skipper's Pub menu (wraps, sandwiches and appetizers) plus a great dinner menu of British food such as Bangers n mash, Cottage Pie, Steak and Guinness Pie, as well as some amazing curry dishes. Walk-ins are always welcome, but it is recommend to call ahead and reserve a table during high season.
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I wanted to come here after reading about it online before we came to St John, and it did not disappoint. We were staying at Caneel and you really have to work hard to find a cab driver to take you to Coral Bay, but it's totally worth it. The service was excellent and our server came outside to greet us as we got out if our taxi. First off, the drinks are best we had on the island, the bartender is great and so friendly. The guava martini and the erotic spice martini were sooo good! Would go back just for those drinks! The jerk wings were very good, the meat falls off the bone, you can't even pick them up. We also had the crab dip with tostones, the tostones were bland but the crab dip was very good, loved the manchego cheese in it. We each had the red curry and the coconut curry with shrimp and plantains and both were excellent, with the coconut being my favorite. If I had any complaint it would be that there aren't enough plantains! For a place called sweet plantains, you only get 2 plantains with your entree and I wish they had a plantain dessert. Other than that , great service, food , and drink , would definitely go back!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We were on St. John this past week and ate at Sweet Plantains and the food was OK. They have a limited menu so be sure to check before going. We were having a hard time finding someone open and Sweet Plantains was so we stopped in. The food is on the spicy side and on the expensive side for the portion you receive. Would I go back? Probably not, just not my type of food.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Dont let the exterior of this place keep you away. This was by far the best meal we had on St. John. You can tell that the Chef is formally trained, her dishes are beautifuly presented and the food was amazing!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We first came to Sweet Plantains on a Saturday for a quiet dinner, where we found out the menu was dependent on the day of the week and we came on a curry night. We had the chicken drumstick appetizer and it was amazing! They fell off the bone immediately and the serving was more like a meal than just an appetizer! We looked at the menu and decided to come back on Tuesday. TUESDAY WAS AMAZINGGGGG. I wasn't super hungry, but I had to have some sweet plantains! I ordered an order of the sweet plantain appetizer and the house Caesar salad, my fiancee ordered the rack of lamb.. I WISH I ORDERED THE RACK OF LAMB ALSO!! It was my first time ever having lamb and it was the best experience ever! Everything about it was delicious, I can still taste it now!

Both times, our servers were super sweet and very attentive, made sure we had an amazing dining experience. The bartender was super friendly and made sure our drinks were good! On Tuesday night, since they knew we came back, the Chef came out to talk to us and that totally made the dining experience.

Next time we're back in St. John, we're definitely visiting Sweet Plantains!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

My wife had the coconut curry with Shrimp and I had the red curry with chicken. Both were outstanding. We also had the yucca fries for an appetizer and they were great. The drinks are strong too, not watered down like most other places on the island. Highly recommended.